Transfer portal

NotIThatLives

27 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

All the more reason not to use up all the scholarships. Wait until some idiot coach kicks his NBA caliber player to the curb because he can't wait until June, then at the end of June you can come scoop up in NBA caliber player on the transfer portal.

Lets just say we were full this year and Green decides to go through the draft.  So you are saying that you would hold that spot instead of taking a Watford or a Quinones if they wanted to commit.  I agree if we have 2 or 3 openings but if you have used up your scholarships I am not willing to wait until someone decides if they are coming back.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Lets just say we were full this year and Green decides to go through the draft.  So you are saying that you would hold that spot instead of taking a Watford or a Quinones if they wanted to commit.  I agree if we have 2 or 3 openings but if you have used up your scholarships I am not willing to wait until someone decides if they are coming back.

Is Green an NBA player?  Or a kyle Guy?  Fill Kyle Guys spot with a feshman?  

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

At that point they aren’t deciding. It’s just whether or not they are able to come back. 

But yeah when in doubt treat the 21 year old like ****

32 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

All the more reason not to use up all the scholarships. Wait until some idiot coach kicks his NBA caliber player to the curb because he can't wait until June, then at the end of June you can come scoop up in NBA caliber player on the transfer portal.

Absolutely a potential byproduct of this system. No reason to think there won't be at least a few players who either reclassify to 2019 or the scenario you suggested. I always want to have 1 in the chamber if a situation arises. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

At that point they aren’t deciding. It’s just whether or not they are able to come back. 

But yeah when in doubt treat the 21 year old like ****

My job as a coach is to do what is best for my team and what will help me win.  If I wait and then he decides to not come back then in June you will be left with no good players to replace that player.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My job as a coach is to do what is best for my team and what will help me win.  If I wait and then he decides to not come back then in June you will be left with no good players to replace that player.

And that is a purely short term view point. 

Your job as a coach should be to help your players reach their goals as they help you reach yours. Sometimes that will require taking risks to help them. Just as they take risks for you. 

29 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/wolverines/2019/04/no-an-undrafted-player-cant-return-to-college-basketball.html%3foutputType=amp

An NCAA spokesperson confirmed that a player must withdraw his name from the draft on May 29 and therefore could not wait for the result of the actual draft. The post-draft rule change is not yet effective.

"If the NBA/NBPA changes the rule that allows for someone who was in the draft but undrafted to be 'called up' at any point in the following year, the NCAA members may allow student-athletes to return if they go undrafted in June," the spokesperson said.

30 minutes ago, BrianIU said:

It is for all players. You are allowed to hire an agent and retain eligibility later as long as you follow the NCAA guidelines 

The stuff you just posted though says that if they go undrafted they can return to school. So not sure why you are still debating this. 

2 hours ago, BrianIU said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/wolverines/2019/04/no-an-undrafted-player-cant-return-to-college-basketball.html%3foutputType=amp

An NCAA spokesperson confirmed that a player must withdraw his name from the draft on May 29 and therefore could not wait for the result of the actual draft. The post-draft rule change is not yet effective.

"If the NBA/NBPA changes the rule that allows for someone who was in the draft but undrafted to be 'called up' at any point in the following year, the NCAA members may allow student-athletes to return if they go undrafted in June," the spokesperson said.

So you're going to take the mlive.com info on NCAA rules over the NCAA.org info?

2 minutes ago, cybergates said:

So you're going to take the mlive.com info on NCAA rules over the NCAA.org info?

The NCAA info is dated 9/20/2018 and explicitly states that the NBA must change an existing rule in order for undrafted players who did not take their name out by the specified date to retain their eligibility. The article I linked contains a quote from an unnamed NCAA spokesman. I have not seen anywhere where  that the NBA has changed the rule in question

Archived