Transfer portal

NotIThatLives

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

How about that...recruited right over his own son. 😂

A real conversation, years ago:

Cal:  Son, you're 5 years old now.  Frankly, you've occupied a place in this family longer than I planned.  So I'm making a change.

Son:  What change?

Cal:  I just signed a new son.  A 3-year-old from New York.  He's lighting up the Pampers circuit.

Son:  He'll be my brother?  That's great!

Cal:  No, he'll take your place.  You're out.

Son:  Wait, what?  I'm out?

Cal:  You knew this could happen.  I explained it to you when you were born.

Son:  I WAS ONLY 6 HOURS OLD!

Cal:  Yes, and you missed practice that day.  You were behind in development from the start.  That's on you, not me.

Son:  May I take my toys?

Cal:  No.  Those are our property.  I don't want any recruiting violations.

:D :D :D

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Brad probably wants a chance to get some minutes somewhere for his final season.

That's probably the answer, but It just really strikes me as funny.  I have never heard of a college coach losing his own son to a transfer.  We know it's not a scholarship issue.  With the kind of money slimeball Cal makes, he can certainly cover junior's tuition.

Just seems really odd and made me curious if it's ever happened, especially at a power five school before.  I can see moving up if dad is low on the totem pole, but this transfer has me curious.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That's probably the answer, but It just really strikes me as funny.  I have never heard of a college coach losing his own son to a transfer.  We know it's not a scholarship issue.  With the kind of money slimeball Cal makes, he can certainly cover junior's tuition.

Just seems really odd and made me curious if it's ever happened, especially at a power five school before.  I can see moving up if dad is low on the totem pole, but this transfer has me curious.

It has. Brad was a walk on too I believe so he was already paying for his tuition.

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

It has. Brad was a walk on too I believe so he was already paying for his tuition.

Being a walk-on makes the story even more bizarre...not even a scholarship issue.  

It's obvious that for whatever reason, he no longer wants to play on dad's team.

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Does she teach finger painting or counting to 19 with your shoes off?

A dig at UK not your wife

Please do not take shots at UK.  They are a top notch academic destination.  They are world leaders in underwater basket weaving and picture book technology.

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Being a walk-on makes the story even more bizarre...not even a scholarship issue.  

It's obvious that for whatever reason, he no longer wants to play on dad's team.

So were you this perplexed when Johnny Marlin transferred to Indiana Wesleyan or Harrison Niego transferred to Hillsdale?  A walk-on transferring to a smaller school for more playing time really isn’t that unusual, even if the coach is his dad.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So were you this perplexed when Johnny Marlin transferred to Indiana Wesleyan or Harrison Niego transferred to Hillsdale?  A walk-on transferring to a smaller school for more playing time really isn’t that unusual, even if the coach is his dad.

I'm not confused about walk-ons transferring to smaller schools.  I'm perplexed about a son leaving his father's blue blood college basketball program.  Johnny and Harrison weren't leaving their father's program.  I don't see Fran McCaffrey's son leaving Iowa.  I'm much less surprised if he'd never gone to play for dad in the first place.  That is fairly common.

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not confused about walk-ons transferring to smaller schools.  I'm perplexed about a son leaving his father's blue blood college basketball program.  Johnny and Harrison weren't leaving their father's program.  I don't see Fran McCaffrey's son leaving Iowa.  I'm much less surprised if he'd never gone to play for dad in the first place.  That is fairly common.

Fran's sons were pretty highly recruited players who will play where Cal's son was never going to see the floor

5 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This isn't confusing, but crushing, to me. I have to watch UK games to keep mama happy. One of the few bright spots was seeing B-Rad's fly outfits when he wasn't in uniform.  Now I got nothing.  

Kentucky talk radio last year said he would stream Fortnite videos online with zany commentary and interview his teammates. Guess he wasn’t working on his b-ball. Maybe check those out lol.

8 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

Please do not take shots at UK.  They are a top notch academic destination.  They are world leaders in underwater basket weaving and picture book technology.

“Underwater basket weaving” I use that too but I have been for so long I forget where I got it from...is that a Knightism?

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Kentucky talk radio last year said he would stream Fortnite videos online with zany commentary and interview his teammates. Guess he wasn’t working on his b-ball. Maybe check those out lol.

I gave my wife hell over B-rad.  Just feel bad for the Z Cavaricci store and herringbone chain kiosk at the Lexington mall. They're going to lose a bundle with B-rad gone. Collateral damage.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Fran's sons were pretty highly recruited players who will play where Cal's son was never going to see the floor

I can't imagine what the comments would be like in today's world when Pat took the floor....but Iowa fans let Fran's son have it each and every game. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

“Underwater basket weaving” I use that too but I have been for so long I forget where I got it from...is that a Knightism?

I don't know where it came from but I have heard it my whole life.  My Dad has used the term as long as I can remember.  My Father is not Bob Knight, but he used the term to describe "draft dodgers" during Viet Nam.  

5 hours ago, rico said:

I don't know where it came from but I have heard it my whole life.  My Dad has used the term as long as I can remember.  My Father is not Bob Knight, but he used the term to describe "draft dodgers" during Viet Nam.  

Makes sense...probably picked it up from my dad too. Some reason I associate it with these college athletes and schools that let them slide by. Guess it’s been around a lot longer than I thought.

Archived