Transfer portal

NotIThatLives

31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. He is a willing defender...willing to mix it up with bigger guys and athletic enough to cover smaller guys on switches. Would he have been able to help close out on Maryland on those 3's better...perhaps. I think the way Archie plays he would fit. Besides....the way we run 4 min stretches there will be plenty of time for several guys to play if he is willing to share his time. I think it's a false narrative that only Jerome will get better but Keion couldn't. Keion would have a year to practice and watch and learn as well. I just don't think he is willing to sit another year...the whole point was to get to the NBA as fast as possible no matter what...so I see him staying and going pro after next year no matter what the circumstances. I just don't write kids off...I'm sure Archie might not prioritize recruiting him again but wouldn't it be nice to have a 6-8 border line 5* recruit that can guard perhaps 1-5 depending on matchups? Not to mention maybe the good will to help with recruiting his brother?

This is all assuming he wouldn’t be granted immediate eligibility which the NCAA seems to be willing to offer more loosely.

For Brooks I feel it’s kinda like being left at the alter by a pretty girl... you’d take her back but it might cause more bad than good. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

This is all assuming he wouldn’t be granted immediate eligibility which the NCAA seems to be willing to offer more loosely.

For Brooks I feel it’s kinda like being left at the alter by a pretty girl... you’d take her back but it might cause more bad than good. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I don't see how playing time would grant you immediate transfer...but maybe they can come up with a reason. I'd think he would have to sit out...and for a kid that wanted and was sold on the get to the NBA faster route...that isn't going to sit well. I'd think that would be too bitter a pill to swallow so I can see him letting this play out longer at UK.

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't see how playing time would grant you immediate transfer...but maybe they can come up with a reason. I'd think he would have to sit out...and for a kid that wanted and was sold on the get to the NBA faster route...that isn't going to sit well. I'd think that would be too bitter a pill to swallow so I can see him letting this play out longer at UK.

Guys find excuses to transfer all the time and the NCAA is getting more and more lenient. Most of the time the player has to transfer to a school within 100 miles of there home I believe. 

10 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Guys find excuses to transfer all the time and the NCAA is getting more and more lenient. Most of the time the player has to transfer to a school within 100 miles of there home I believe. 

If that is the case and he wants immediate playing time next year then yes..the path to playing next year is more difficult to make. The only way I could see significant time for him would be if Justin was leaving and I don't think that is happening. 2021 though looks wide open for anyone wanting serious playing time at the 4/5.

4 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

He and Hunter could play on the court together. 

So who do you bench?  IU is chasing a significant amount of 21 talent and we haven't even seen what Geronimo and Galloway will look like yet.  He's a talented kid, but by the time he could play,  I suspect IU will have plenty of wing talent for a transfer to compete with.

Bottom line, even if he could play next season,  I don't see IU needing him at the wing and while talented, I don't think he's talented enough to wait a year for him to be able to play.  Too many wings already here and too many lines in the water.  That's my take.  Doesn't matter anyway...with wanting to be one and done, I don't see him being willing to start over and spend at least three years in college.

It would be a whole different story if he'd started at IU and didn't need to completely learn a new system.

He didn't make a good decision going to UK, that is a fact. But leaving UK and sitting out a year would be an even bigger mistake. He'll get more PT going forward and next year. He was never a one and done no matter what pops was thinking. He should stay at least 3 years, otherwise it's G-league/overseas for him. 

8 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

He didn't make a good decision going to UK, that is a fact. But leaving UK and sitting out a year would be an even bigger mistake. He'll get more PT going forward and next year. He was never a one and done no matter what pops was thinking. He should stay at least 3 years, otherwise it's G-league overseas for him. 

I agree with this.  He's like EJ Montgomery or Nick Richards...guys who need time to develop.

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

He didn't make a good decision going to UK, that is a fact. But leaving UK and sitting out a year would be an even bigger mistake. He'll get more PT going forward and next year. He was never a one and done no matter what pops was thinking. He should stay at least 3 years, otherwise it's G-league overseas for him. 

Agreed his dad made a bad decision for him.  But with the class UK has coming in next year, and little to no 1st round talent this year, I doubt his playing time increases much next year.  There will be a complete logjam at the 2-4 positions next year for pUKe, and I doubt their shiney new 5 star OAD's sit the bench. Tough position to be in.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Agreed his dad made a bad decision for him.  But with the class UK has coming in next year, and little to no 1st round talent this year, I doubt his playing time increases much next year.  There will be a complete logjam at the 2-4 positions next year for pUKe, and I doubt their shiney new 5 star OAD's sit the bench. Tough position to be in.

I could see Maxey, Hagan and Richards all leaving UK after this year.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I could see Maxey, Hagan and Richards all leaving UK after this year.

Agreed. In fact had a NBA scout tell me exactly those names.  But only Maxey would affect playing time at the 2-4 positions. They'll need to grab a grad transfer big if Richardson does leave, and depending on his skill set, could take away more time at the wing if he can shoot and guard.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Maybe he was bullied???

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28673063/is-ivy-league-transfer-policy-helping-players-hurting-them

Players listed in article

Mike Smith - Columbia - 5-11 PG 21 ppg 4.2 rpg 4.7 apg 37% 3P

Ryan Betley - Penn - 6-5 Guard 12.4 ppg 6.2 rpg 1.2 apg 36% 3P

Jordan Bruner - Yale - 6-9 forward 11.8 ppg 9.4 rpg 3.7 apg 36% 3P

Seth Towns - Harvard - 6-7 forward 14.2 ppg 5.0 rpg 1.6 apg 42% 3P

Brendan Barry - Dartmouth 6-2 guard 13.2 ppg 3.2 rpg 3.2 apg 44% 3P

Patrick Tape - Columbia 6-10 forward 11.3 ppg 5.9 rpg 1.3 bpg

Jake Killingsworth - Columbia 6-5 guard 7.9 ppg 5.3 rpg 1.7 apg 36% 3P

11 minutes ago, BDB said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28673063/is-ivy-league-transfer-policy-helping-players-hurting-them

Players listed in article

Mike Smith - Columbia - 5-11 PG 21 ppg 4.2 rpg 4.7 apg 37% 3P

Ryan Betley - Penn - 6-5 Guard 12.4 ppg 6.2 rpg 1.2 apg 36% 3P

Jordan Bruner - Yale - 6-9 forward 11.8 ppg 9.4 rpg 3.7 apg 36% 3P

Seth Towns - Harvard - 6-7 forward 14.2 ppg 5.0 rpg 1.6 apg 42% 3P

Brendan Barry - Dartmouth 6-2 guard 13.2 ppg 3.2 rpg 3.2 apg 44% 3P

Patrick Tape - Columbia 6-10 forward 11.3 ppg 5.9 rpg 1.3 bpg

Jake Killingsworth - Columbia 6-5 guard 7.9 ppg 5.3 rpg 1.7 apg 36% 3P

Earlier in this thread I brought up Smith and Towns as a good players to look at.  I think the problem with towns is that he has been injured his last two years.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sucks for them but we need good smart players in the worst way.  

Sounds like the Ivy League director is stuck in her ways like a trollish IU administrator or trustee.  

I have a feeling this all comes down to money. Turning over athletes creates more opportunities to enroll the future Bifs and Buffies whose parents donate generously. Unlikely to get a new donation from the family of a 5th year player.

Ivy League schools offer over 30 sports for men and women, which is often more than what’s available at “powerhouse” schools. College Factual reported that the University of Alabama had 640 student-athletes in 22 sports. Last spring, Princeton had 920 in 37. The Harvard Crimson found that Harvard spends $1 million per year on recruitment expenses alone.

Athletes still have to submit the same Common Application forms as everyone else, but coaches can give them advice, as occurs in Cambridge. Final contenders make it onto lists that coaches submit to the admissions office. Daniel Golden wrote in The Price of Admission that mediocre athletes often get on their lists, pleasing wealthy parents who then donate money for new facilities.

https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/article/2019/10/ivy-league-athletics-are-the-new-money-ball

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I have a feeling this all comes down to money. Turning over athletes creates more opportunities to enroll the future Bifs and Buffies whose parents donate generously. Unlikely to get a new donation from the family of a 5th year player.

Ivy League schools offer over 30 sports for men and women, which is often more than what’s available at “powerhouse” schools. College Factual reported that the University of Alabama had 640 student-athletes in 22 sports. Last spring, Princeton had 920 in 37. The Harvard Crimson found that Harvard spends $1 million per year on recruitment expenses alone.

Athletes still have to submit the same Common Application forms as everyone else, but coaches can give them advice, as occurs in Cambridge. Final contenders make it onto lists that coaches submit to the admissions office. Daniel Golden wrote in The Price of Admission that mediocre athletes often get on their lists, pleasing wealthy parents who then donate money for new facilities.

https://www.dailyprincetonian.com/article/2019/10/ivy-league-athletics-are-the-new-money-ball

Yup. College sports, outside of basketball and football (and maybe a few others, I'm not going to dissect them all), are affirmative action for rich people. 

• 1 month later...

Archived