Hartman opens up about Archie

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

To make a comparison, his personality is more Watford than Oladipo. Just because he isn't outwardly showing emotion or desire doesn't mean he doesn't have any.

I get that...I was very much that way as well...but even his play on the court doesn’t shout he is still bought in. A kid with his talent he could impose himself on the floor more...doesn’t have to be rah rah but simply stepping up to the challenge and deciding I’m the most talented player on the floor and I’m going to impose my will on the other team. I’m not sure I’m even seeing him doing that. He is fading into the background and looks like he is disengaging. I hope he is still is though. We still have a chance to salvage something in this season.

I heard about this podcast a few weeks ago when someone mentioned it in a post game thread. Some of them are unlistenable where Steve and Mike just yell over each other, but this one is good.  I finished it this morning on my commute and Collin had some very interesting comments, especially about the players being too nice and not wanting to "end friendships". Personally, I think he's referring to Juwan because he mentioned in a pod a couple of weeks ago that Juwan is not a "get in your face" type of teammate. He's more of a lead by example guy. By no means is this a dig at Juwan because he's been one of my favorite players in recent past. Ed Smith talks about no one improving under Archie, but Juwan had a breakout year last year and has been just as good this year. 

It sounds to me that Archie needs to get some players who will do whatever it takes to win. As Steve said, this team needs players who hate to lose more than love to win. 

I’m glad Hartman is so positive about Archie. I remember Knight had a couple teams that disappointed. Hopefully Archie can turn things around next year.

I just want to see that fire in Archie that people speak of....same Knight had that hated losing. Knight even hated losing imaginary games....here is a nice read...and probably good to remember that we beat Painter at something when Nover beat him out for a lead role in the movie. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/blue-chips-25-years-later-bob-knight-refused-to-lose-to-hollywood-team/ar-BBTIxu0

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m glad Hartman is so positive about Archie. I remember Knight had a couple teams that disappointed. Hopefully Archie can turn things around next year.

I just want to see that fire in Archie that people speak of....same Knight had that hated losing. Knight even hated losing imaginary games....here is a nice read...and probably good to remember that we beat Painter at something when Nover beat him out for a lead role in the movie. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/blue-chips-25-years-later-bob-knight-refused-to-lose-to-hollywood-team/ar-BBTIxu0

There is no doubt that Miller could of changes things to get 3-4 more wins.

For example, play zone.

Does this change the long term culture, yes.

Yes, I know Duke has gone to some of that.  They for one have an established culture and they are also bringing in 2-4 one and dones a year.  Plug and play.

Ok I finally listened to the first 25-30min of this podcast on the treadmill. I appreciate the INFO in the podcast but from now on i’ll Just trust you guys for the billet point overview. As someone who works a lot in communications and someone who originally wanted to get into radio that was the single most PAINFUL podcast I’ve ever listened to. Whew. Omg. I think there was 5-6min worth of legit information drawn out over that much time and I’ve never heard people repay themselves SO many times.

“No I’m not ripping on Archie. Not trying to rip on him. I’m not here to do that. I know others might, but I’m not. Heck I’ve been on three shows and haven’t done that on one of them. You can go on them and listen to them online and I didn’t rip on them. But Colin maybe you can share if Archie could do anything different? I mean I don’t want this to turn into a rip on the coach and I’m not here to do that. I’ve defended him even on twitter and talk shows and other podcasts and radio. I’ve had the chance to rip on him but that’s not what I’m here to do. I’m just not gonna bag on the coach ya know? Just don’t see any reason do do that. To rip on him I mean. Because idk what he’s doing. So I’m not here to bash on archie. Maybe you could shed some light on what’s going on without turning this into a bash the coach time because that’s not ok and I don’t want to do that.”

i literally almost threw my phone against the wall. There wasn’t one more way in the English language to communicate the SAME thing. Holy Moses. 😂 

Let's not forget that Archie's a fairly young coach. If the problem with this team is dissention, a lack in confidence, or a combination of Crean vs. Archie's players or whatever, it's entirely possible Archie's never had to deal with this before. It's not like this is a common situation.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Ok I finally listened to the first 25-30min of this podcast on the treadmill. I appreciate the INFO in the podcast but from now on i’ll Just trust you guys for the billet point overview. As someone who works a lot in communications and someone who originally wanted to get into radio that was the single most PAINFUL podcast I’ve ever listened to. Whew. Omg. I think there was 5-6min worth of legit information drawn out over that much time and I’ve never heard people repay themselves SO many times.

“No I’m not ripping on Archie. Not trying to rip on him. I’m not here to do that. I know others might, but I’m not. Heck I’ve been on three shows and haven’t done that on one of them. You can go on them and listen to them online and I didn’t rip on them. But Colin maybe you can share if Archie could do anything different? I mean I don’t want this to turn into a rip on the coach and I’m not here to do that. I’ve defended him even on twitter and talk shows and other podcasts and radio. I’ve had the chance to rip on him but that’s not what I’m here to do. I’m just not gonna bag on the coach ya know? Just don’t see any reason do do that. To rip on him I mean. Because idk what he’s doing. So I’m not here to bash on archie. Maybe you could shed some light on what’s going on without turning this into a bash the coach time because that’s not ok and I don’t want to do that.”

i literally almost threw my phone against the wall. There wasn’t one more way in the English language to communicate the SAME thing. Holy Moses. 😂 

I've noticed this on talk sport radio shows too. After they say the same thing for the 3rd time, I change the channel.

I agree there are  about 5 minutes of very interesting and insightful points by Colin but you have to wade through 50 minutes of horse to get it.  And unfortunately it's not all in one segment but scattered across the whole hour. 

The best points were along the lines of a) this team has no heart, b) colin is 100% a believer in CAM and his coaching abilities, c) there does not seem to be a leader on this team, and d) this team seems perfectly content with losing.  

They’ve got to figure out a way to stop talking over each other.  I think Goodpastor needs to reign everyone in and moderate.  If he directs traffic better and the other guys shut up when they’re not asked to speak, it will go better.  I like Risley but from a listening standpoint it would be better if he can finish his point more concisely and then stay quiet until called upon.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if they record these and never listen because they’d probably cringe. I think they’d easily figure out a fix if they heard how difficult it is to listen when they continually talk over each other. 

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Okay. I will admit I probably will not take the time to listen to it all.  Does he name any names or is he speaking in genetalities with his support of Archie?

TLDL:

CAM is a great coach and a great offensive mind, and the staff is top notch from top to bottom.  These kids have no heart, and they don’t care if they lose.  Speaks to the fact that it has to come from within.  Also mentions that everyone is worried about being friends, rather than chewing each other out about mistakes.  Says that in the future you’re not friends with the guys you lost with, you’re friends with the guys you win with.

8 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Dakich is the ABSOLUTE. WORST. at this

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

That movie is both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious, but the sight of Bobby Hurley in crimson is something out of a bad acid flashback.

Archived