"Drastic changes"

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I don’t think this means they get to play for four years.  It just means IU will pay for their education.  So when Romeo goes pro IU will still pay for the education.  Same w Hunter if he can’t ever play again.  

#2 "FOUR YEAR SCHOLARSHIP COMMITMENT REGARDLESS OF INJURY, ILLNESS, OR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE."

Every head count scholarship student-athlete, regardless of sport, entering Indiana University receives a four year scholarship to ensure the time needed to earn an undergraduate degree. Equivalency scholarship terms may be year to year. All scholarships set forth in writing the amount, duration and any conditions of the award. Scholarship terms are not reduced unless the student athlete voluntarily leaves the team, becomes ineligible, or violates a university or department policy or team rule. Any reduction of a scholarship’s terms may be appealed to an independent panel of faculty members whose decision on the matter is binding and final. Scholarship terms will not be reduced because of a student-athlete’s injury, illness, or physical or mental condition nor on the basis of a student-athlete’s ability, performance, or contribution to the team’s success.

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

#2 "FOUR YEAR SCHOLARSHIP COMMITMENT REGARDLESS OF INJURY, ILLNESS, OR ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE."

Every head count scholarship student-athlete, regardless of sport, entering Indiana University receives a four year scholarship to ensure the time needed to earn an undergraduate degree. Equivalency scholarship terms may be year to year. All scholarships set forth in writing the amount, duration and any conditions of the award. Scholarship terms are not reduced unless the student athlete voluntarily leaves the team, becomes ineligible, or violates a university or department policy or team rule. Any reduction of a scholarship’s terms may be appealed to an independent panel of faculty members whose decision on the matter is binding and final. Scholarship terms will not be reduced because of a student-athlete’s injury, illness, or physical or mental condition nor on the basis of a student-athlete’s ability, performance, or contribution to the team’s success.

That’s fine, but I also see “violates a team rule.”  Green has certainly done that and we may have no idea how many rules have been violated that have been kept in house.  An altercation with the coach could possibly be viewed as such as well.

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

That’s fine, but I also see “violates a team rule.”  Green has certainly done that and we may have no idea how many rules have been violated that have been kept in house.  An altercation with the coach could possibly be viewed as such as well.

It all depends on what Glass views that as and seems to be up to his interpretation. 

46 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It would possibly go against his athletes bill of rights that he came up with. 

Again all the bill of rights guarantee is your scholarship but not a roster spot.  You can tell a player he is no longer going to play on the team and if he wants to stay as a student he can but what players will do that.

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Didn't Archie dismiss 2 players on his team the year he had his Elite 8 run?

No. He dismissed two players the following season (2014-15)for breaking into dorms and stealing. They were the teams only two big men. Once they were kicked off UD was down to 6 scholarship players. Tallest player was 6'6".  Those 6 plus 1 walkon made it to the tourney, beat Boise State and Providence, and lost by 6 to a damn good Oklahoma team. I think that was actually Archie's best coaching job, better than the elite 8 run.

I am a UD and IU fan in that order, and I am perplexed  by what is going on this season with the Hoosiers. But I know one thing - Archie is a damn fine coach. There have to be some serious chemistry issues going on  with this team.  The fact that they can't shoot a lick doesn't help.

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Again all the bill of rights guarantee is your scholarship but not a roster spot.  You can tell a player he is no longer going to play on the team and if he wants to stay as a student he can but what players will do that.

That's correct. A player can get suspended. But that is different from getting released. Coaches still have the ability to cut players.  And in that event, if the player chooses to stay at IU.....he then will continue to have his/her education paid by the university.

By the way, the IU Student Bill of Rights, was the first in the country. Used to protect both student athletes and coaches from a myriad of reasons.  And... to protect the university from lawsuits.  Other colleges are just now picking up on this.

4 minutes ago, Goldie Wilson said:

No. He dismissed two players the following season (2014-15)for breaking into dorms and stealing. They were the teams only two big men. Once they were kicked off UD was down to 6 scholarship players. Tallest player was 6'6".  Those 6 plus 1 walkon made it to the tourney, beat Boise State and Providence, and lost by 6 to a damn good Oklahoma team. I think that was actually Archie's best coaching job, better than the elite 8 run.

I am a UD and IU fan in that order, and I am perplexed  by what is going on this season with the Hoosiers. But I know one thing - Archie is a damn fine coach. There have to be some serious chemistry issues going on  with this team.  The fact that they can't shoot a lick doesn't help.

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation !

One thing De'ron said in the Minnesota post game surprised me. He said that he and Devonte didn't know they were starting until just before the game. I thought that was a little strange, and I'm not sure I agree with that method.

Might explain Justin Smith's day though...

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Wow, this guy thinks he's frickin Thomas Jefferson.  You can still tell the guy, I will not play you next year, enjoy your scholarship.

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One thing De'ron said in the Minnesota post game surprised me. He said that he and Devonte didn't know they were starting until just before the game. I thought that was a little strange, and I'm not sure I agree with that method.

Might explain Justin Smith's day though...

Just a thought. Maybe Coach has preached everyone be ready all the time. Maybe he kept that information so both players didn't have time to overthink things before starting. Devonte tends to get a little wired up so maybe he didn't let him know to keep him calm. Of course maybe it backfired because Devonte got 2 quick fouls and the entire strategy was out the window 90 seconds into the game. 

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Archie's exact quote:

image.png.4dfbb8c20bbf6bb36716db5e95e969d2.pngimage.png.bf1eaa8f06121ce0ccb1b5e7499f6acc.png

I wonder if by “deal breaker” he was making reference to some sort of “deal” he had with Glass?  Maybe Glass said he wanted it done a certain way, CAM tried to live up to that agreement, but it just hasn’t worked?  Just spit balling.  

6 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I wonder if by “deal breaker” he was making reference to some sort of “deal” he had with Glass?  Maybe Glass said he wanted it done a certain way, CAM tried to live up to that agreement, but it just hasn’t worked?  Just spit balling.  

That's definitely a solid guess, or a deal with a couple players who may have more talent, but aren't rowing with the team?

The bill of rights referred to here really means nothing to the men’s basketball team. A player can be kicked off the team and still get a free degree at IU, if he so chooses. That free education will not be a basketball scholarship, so the team gets that scholarship back. So having this is only a positive from a recruiting standpoint. And if IU is fine paying for a free education for a kid not playing. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

The bill of rights referred to here really means nothing to the men’s basketball team. A player can be kicked off the team and still get a free degree at IU, if he so chooses. That free education will not be a basketball scholarship, so the team gets that scholarship back. So having this is only a positive from a recruiting standpoint. And if IU is fine paying for a free education for a kid not playing. 

Actually they do count toward the 13 scholarships but no player will give up playing basketball to stay at IU as a student.

Well if Glass is tying Archie’s hands and not letting him coach thenGlass should be fired! The part about drastic changes is great but, about  7 to 8 games late ! No one is bigger then the team! If they think they are then cut and run! Keep the ones who can play team basketball and send the rest packing! I would really rather watch a group of freshmen lose trying to win then these clowns half ass it. 

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

I believe you are correct.  I have read 5 or 6 old articles now and found nothing regarding counting towards a team's limit but IIRC if a player is essentially cut from the team, they get a scholarship but does not count against the teams 13.  But here's the deal.  If player x thinks he's a future pro and is cut from the team, do you think they are just going to hang out in Bloomington until they graduate?  In the case of Tim Vanilla Priller, he flat out didn't care about PT, he could have been cut from the team and probably would have stayed to enjoy the party and the free double major.  

2 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

I suggested this very thing a few weeks ago. Archie is not a puppet and if Fred asked him to do some things a certain way when he was hired.....well that, IMO, is a deal breaker. He has had enough and most likely wants to clean house....He has to. 

Archived