"Drastic changes"

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Actually they do count toward the 13 scholarships but no player will give up playing basketball to stay at IU as a student.

No, they do not count towards the 13. They would no longer be on the team and take a athletic scholarship. They can continue at IU on a non athletic scholarship if they want. They would have a full ride  it it would be outside of athletics and they can have nothing to do with the team. 

Rabjohns even went over this on Kent Sterling’s show last week, or the week before last. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I believe you are correct.  I have read 5 or 6 old articles now and found nothing regarding counting towards a team's limit but IIRC if a player is essentially cut from the team, they get a scholarship but does not count against the teams 13.  But here's the deal.  If player x thinks he's a future pro and is cut from the team, do you think they are just going to hang out in Bloomington until they graduate?  In the case of Tim Vanilla Priller, he flat out didn't care about PT, he could have been cut from the team and probably would have stayed to enjoy the party and the free double major.  

Yep. If the kids wants to leave then he can leave. Then it’s a non issue anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Feathery said:

No, they do not count towards the 13. They would no longer be on the team and take a athletic scholarship. They can continue at IU on a non athletic scholarship if they want. They would have a full ride  it it would be outside of athletics and they can have nothing to do with the team. 

Rabjohns even went over this on Kent Sterling’s show last week, or the week before last. 

You, and Rabby are correct.  Once off the team, no longer against scolly numbers.  Just that IU pays for the education.... should the player choose to stay at IU. 

5 hours ago, Goldie Wilson said:

No. He dismissed two players the following season (2014-15)for breaking into dorms and stealing. They were the teams only two big men. Once they were kicked off UD was down to 6 scholarship players. Tallest player was 6'6".  Those 6 plus 1 walkon made it to the tourney, beat Boise State and Providence, and lost by 6 to a damn good Oklahoma team. I think that was actually Archie's best coaching job, better than the elite 8 run.

I am a UD and IU fan in that order, and I am perplexed  by what is going on this season with the Hoosiers. But I know one thing - Archie is a damn fine coach. There have to be some serious chemistry issues going on  with this team.  The fact that they can't shoot a lick doesn't help.

Not to mention Archie had only 1 top 100 recruit in 6 years at Dayton.   Can't even remember his name but my recollection was he was at #84.

9 hours ago, Rogermci said:

Not to mention Archie had only 1 top 100 recruit in 6 years at Dayton.   Can't even remember his name but my recollection was he was at #84.

Jordan Sibert was his highest ranked at 29, although he was a transfer after playing 2 years at Ohio St. Kostas Antetokounmpo was ranked 89th. I think those were his two highest recruits. 

When Archie left UD, my only concern for whether or not he would succeed at Indiana was being able to recruit at a Big Ten level. Seems like so far he is holding his own, although this disaster of a season may affect Brooks coming.

I'm really struggling with what drastic changes could occur in the short term (before the end of the season). I'm speaking strictly of play on the court, not locker room issues, but clearly Morgan, Langford, Davis and Durham are not part of the problem. All four can definitely play better at times and be more forceful of course, but they're generally playing with effort and contributing what they can. 

Guys that have either struggled with poor play, poor effort or both seem to be Smith, Green, Fitzner and Phinisee (I hate to put Phinisee here because he's a freshmen point guard that's had injury issues and he plays hard, but he has been inconsistent). 

Guys that haven't really had a chance, though do seem to play hard when they get in seem to me to be Forrester, Damezi, Moore and Race. 

I'm not really sure what the drastic change could be this season? Yeah, we can give some guys more minutes and some less, but that's not drastic. It's also tough to do something like start Race or Forrester because clearly Morgan and Davis aren't the problem, so there really isn't room to start those guys. The only real drastic change I can figure is putting the ball in Langford's hands. Giving him the keys to initiate the offense. So basically you'd be playing him at the point, along with additional lineup changes.

It's tough because this teams real problems are at the point and the wing opposite Langford, but answers to those questions are not on this roster. Damezi and Phinisee aren't all of the sudden going to turn into veteran All Big Ten guys. 

Maybe you do something like Langford, Durham, Anderson, Morgan, Davis. Then the first off the bench are Phinisee, Thompson and Forrester. I'd love to see Thompson or Forrester start and play a lot, but I just don't see how you bench Davis when he's been playing well?

I'm also interested in the scheme tomorrow. To me, drastic changes are also implied that scheme might change, but it's hard to change that in two days. 

I don't really expect too many changes, but it is fun to discuss.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I'm really struggling with what drastic changes could occur in the short term (before the end of the season). I'm speaking strictly of play on the court, not locker room issues, but clearly Morgan, Langford, Davis and Durham are not part of the problem. All four can definitely play better at times and be more forceful of course, but they're generally playing with effort and contributing what they can. 

Guys that have either struggled with poor play, poor effort or both seem to be Smith, Green, Fitzner and Phinisee (I hate to put Phinisee here because he's a freshmen point guard that's had injury issues and he plays hard, but he has been inconsistent). 

Guys that haven't really had a chance, though do seem to play hard when they get in seem to me to be Forrester, Damezi, Moore and Race. 

I'm not really sure what the drastic change could be this season? Yeah, we can give some guys more minutes and some less, but that's not drastic. It's also tough to do something like start Race or Forrester because clearly Morgan and Davis aren't the problem, so there really isn't room to start those guys. The only real drastic change I can figure is putting the ball in Langford's hands. Giving him the keys to initiate the offense. So basically you'd be playing him at the point, along with additional lineup changes.

It's tough because this teams real problems are at the point and the wing opposite Langford, but answers to those questions are not on this roster. Damezi and Phinisee aren't all of the sudden going to turn into veteran All Big Ten guys. 

Maybe you do something like Langford, Durham, Anderson, Morgan, Davis. Then the first off the bench are Phinisee, Thompson and Forrester. I'd love to see Thompson or Forrester start and play a lot, but I just don't see how you bench Davis when he's been playing well?

I'm also interested in the scheme tomorrow. To me, drastic changes are also implied that scheme might change, but it's hard to change that in two days. 

I think having DD coming off the bench wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as long as he's getting significant minutes overall. That bench unit that you have could use a veteran in the lineup, and he's a solid passer, too, so that could mean open shots early in the game for guys struggling with confidence. 

20 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I think having DD coming off the bench wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as long as he's getting significant minutes overall. That bench unit that you have could use a veteran in the lineup, and he's a solid passer, too, so that could mean open shots early in the game for guys struggling with confidence. 

Good point on DD. I don’t know how ready he is for big minutes, but would love to see Race start next to Morgan. I just feel like that kid has something and we’re going to like him the next three years. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Gleas.  We can always count on you for well thought out, level headed analysis.  Your post is spot on.

56 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We should give BGleas a 250 word minimum per day posting requirement.  We need it like daily vitamins. 

He can do it in one post (multivitamin) or multiple posts (individual vitamins). 

Appreciate it, Bob!! I’m laughing even harder because believe it or not, I’m a partner in a health/wellness supplement startup. No lie. 

2 minutes ago, ephul said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeMillerHT/status/1097660934150070274

Yikes. I'm a believer of Archie, but he's becoming hard to defend during this spell

Yeah, the comments aren't brutal.  Seem more factual than rough.  Hopefully, drastic changes are something he's keeping close to the vest, keep everyone guessing.  Hopefully.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We should give BGleas a 250 word minimum per day posting requirement.  We need it like daily vitamins. 

He can do it in one post (multivitamin) or multiple posts (individual vitamins). 

multi posts. any more than 4 lines I dont bother reading. lol. . Craighoops syndrome I call it, may he RIP.

For example: a drastic change could be that we feed Morgan in the post on every single possession the entire first half.  We'd notice that.

Another drastic change could be that no player except Morgan is allowed to talk to a ref (who knows, maybe that's something that's wrong with us).  We probably wouldn't notice that as easily.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:51 PM, Goldie Wilson said:

No. He dismissed two players the following season (2014-15)for breaking into dorms and stealing. They were the teams only two big men. Once they were kicked off UD was down to 6 scholarship players. Tallest player was 6'6".  Those 6 plus 1 walkon made it to the tourney, beat Boise State and Providence, and lost by 6 to a damn good Oklahoma team. I think that was actually Archie's best coaching job, better than the elite 8 run.

I am a UD and IU fan in that order, and I am perplexed  by what is going on this season with the Hoosiers. But I know one thing - Archie is a damn fine coach. There have to be some serious chemistry issues going on  with this team.  The fact that they can't shoot a lick doesn't help.

Some here would have you think Archie knows nothing about coaching. I was in Indy today and turned the DD show on for a few mins. long enough to hear Dan say Archie can't coach a dozen times. Then some grandma who had a crush on Bob Knight in the 70's , i'm guessing called in saying why did we hire some coach from Dayton, anywhere. Ripping on every coach since Knight. Our fan base is looking at the wrong thing. Players play....this team has no pride, no heart, no will to win, they dont care.

17 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

For example: a drastic change could be that we feed Morgan in the post on every single possession the entire first half.  We'd notice that.

Another drastic change could be that no player except Morgan is allowed to talk to a ref (who knows, maybe that's something that's wrong with us).  We probably wouldn't notice that as easily.

Or 3 guys can't play tomorrow from blisters on their feet from running the stadium. I vote for this one...Just to see who has the want to.

29 minutes ago, ephul said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeMillerHT/status/1097660934150070274

Yikes. I'm a believer of Archie, but he's becoming hard to defend during this spell

Ahhh, so COMMUNICATION is the reason for the 10/11 skid.  There I will be looking for drastic changes in communication.  SMH.

It’s just lip service.  I hope to see a drastic change to the starting lineup up.  I hope to see a drastic change in PT for some players.  I hope to see a drastic change in effort and heart.  I hope to see drastic changes in our offense and defense.  

I hope I am wrong, but I don’t expect to see any drastic change in any aspect tomorrow.  I think this season is too far gone.

I was just visiting an Illini board.  The consensus on the thread I was reading was that CAM has not had enough time.   Others have said he is an amazing  hire for IU and they would love  to have him. I agree with them.  As a rival though, I suppose many of our fans will say it's easy for them to be patient as it's our coach.

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Some here would have you think Archie knows nothing about coaching. I was in Indy today and turned the DD show on for a few mins. long enough to hear Dan say Archie can't coach a dozen times. Then some grandma who had a crush on Bob Knight in the 70's , i'm guessing called in saying why did we hire some coach from Dayton, anywhere. Ripping on every coach since Knight. Our fan base is looking at the wrong thing. Players play....this team has no pride, no heart, no will to win, they dont care.

1 minute ago, PoHoosier said:

I was just visiting an Illini board.  The consensus on the thread I was reading was that CAM has not had enough time.   Others have said he is an amazing  hire for IU and they would love  to have him. I agree with them.  As a rival though, I suppose many of our fans will say it's easy for them to be patient as it's our coach.

Even DD said after the 12 times he said Archie can't coach also said its only been a year and a half, you give the man time to make the team his.

33 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Similarly, the same type of thread popped up on a Kentucky board earlier in the season. At the time, Kentucky was in a dry spell and members on that board were calling for Cal to be replaced. Imagine that right? Some expressed the thought of CAM being a great coach and would/could be a great replacement for Cal. 

Just another small example of how other fan bases perceive the potential future of the IU basketball program.

Archived