"Drastic changes"

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Similarly, the same type of thread popped up on a Kentucky board earlier in the season. At the time, Kentucky was in a dry spell and members on that board were calling for Cal to be replaced. Imagine that right? Some expressed the thought of CAM being a great coach and would/could be a great replacement for Cal. 

Just another small example of how other fan bases perceive the potential future of the IU basketball program.

Kind of going on a different tangent here.  But a lot of UK fans are not happy with Cal period.  They are the ones that are my age.  They hate the way he recruits, and success is not gonna change how they think or feel.  We make make fun of them but they are passionate about their school.  And they are sick of the OADs that Cal keeps bringing in.

Back to topic...Archie will get it figured out.  What the "drastic changes" are, I have no idea.  But the guy has a plan.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

Kind of going on a different tangent here.  But a lot of UK fans are not happy with Cal period.  They are the ones that are my age.  They hate the way he recruits, and success is not gonna change how they think or feel.  We make make fun of them but they are passionate about their school.  And they are sick of the OADs that Cal keeps bringing in.

Back to topic...Archie will get it figured out.  What the "drastic changes" are, I have no idea.  But the guy has a plan.

I’m sorry but I have a hard time agreeing with you on anything, solely based on your profile pic. 

Just now, Inequality said:

Haha.. Bipolar Dan still talks in circles. 

I was laughing at how stupid he was. He would blast IU then take a call from someone blasting IU and he would get mad at them and hang up on them. I was like, you just said the same thing you idiot. He is all over IU for not doing anything for the Big Ten champs in 89. Talking about how great Jay Edwards was then in the next breath talking about Edwards smoking weed and getting Drunk the night before losing to Seton Hall in the first round of the NCAA. Hell no wonder IU doesnt want to do anything for that team.

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I was laughing at how stupid he was. He would blast IU then take a call from someone blasting IU and he would get mad at them and hang up on them. I was like, you just said the same thing you idiot. He is all over IU for not doing anything for the Big Ten champs in 89. Talking about how great Jay Edwards was then in the next breath talking about Edwards smoking weed and getting Drunk the night before losing to Seton Hall in the first round of the NCAA. Hell no wonder IU doesnt want to do anything for that team.

Yeah, if you ever endure the pain that comes from listening to him, it then becomes clear as to why every hair on his head abandoned ship.

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm really struggling with what drastic changes could occur in the short term (before the end of the season). I'm speaking strictly of play on the court, not locker room issues, but clearly Morgan, Langford, Davis and Durham are not part of the problem. All four can definitely play better at times and be more forceful of course, but they're generally playing with effort and contributing what they can. 

Guys that have either struggled with poor play, poor effort or both seem to be Smith, Green, Fitzner and Phinisee (I hate to put Phinisee here because he's a freshmen point guard that's had injury issues and he plays hard, but he has been inconsistent). 

Guys that haven't really had a chance, though do seem to play hard when they get in seem to me to be Forrester, Damezi, Moore and Race. 

I'm not really sure what the drastic change could be this season? Yeah, we can give some guys more minutes and some less, but that's not drastic. It's also tough to do something like start Race or Forrester because clearly Morgan and Davis aren't the problem, so there really isn't room to start those guys. The only real drastic change I can figure is putting the ball in Langford's hands. Giving him the keys to initiate the offense. So basically you'd be playing him at the point, along with additional lineup changes.

It's tough because this teams real problems are at the point and the wing opposite Langford, but answers to those questions are not on this roster. Damezi and Phinisee aren't all of the sudden going to turn into veteran All Big Ten guys. 

Maybe you do something like Langford, Durham, Anderson, Morgan, Davis. Then the first off the bench are Phinisee, Thompson and Forrester. I'd love to see Thompson or Forrester start and play a lot, but I just don't see how you bench Davis when he's been playing well?

I'm also interested in the scheme tomorrow. To me, drastic changes are also implied that scheme might change, but it's hard to change that in two days. 

I don't really expect too many changes, but it is fun to discuss.

You're right that this roster is a bit limited to make "drastic" changes from a personnel standpoint. However, me personally, I would be totally good with a lineup that now consistently includes Juwan/Deron starting regularly. Then after that, Race and Jake are bigs #3 and #4 in the rotation. That would be enough for me to be satisfied with "drastic" personnel changes.

I don't think you can do much to change the backcourt though. I love Damezi's effort when he's been in and hope he can improve, but it's kind of brutal to watch in his current maturation. One of his best qualities is supposed to be 3 point shooter like Fitzner...I can't remember the last time I've seen either hit a 3. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Some here would have you think Archie knows nothing about coaching. I was in Indy today and turned the DD show on for a few mins. long enough to hear Dan say Archie can't coach a dozen times. Then some grandma who had a crush on Bob Knight in the 70's , i'm guessing called in saying why did we hire some coach from Dayton, anywhere. Ripping on every coach since Knight. Our fan base is looking at the wrong thing. Players play....this team has no pride, no heart, no will to win, they dont care.

And yet Archie, who is the one in charge, refuses to make any significant changes....sorry but he is calling the shots and allocating the minutes so he has the ability to force a change....at least in effort and attitude

2 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

And yet Archie, who is the one in charge, refuses to make any significant changes....sorry but he is calling the shots and allocating the minutes so he has the ability to force a change....at least in effort and attitude

I guess he could play Blackmon and Jager

6 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

He could have played Fred Glass for all I care....just sit the malcontents and put an end to this crap

Let's all hold hands.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

Amen.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Did Dan say it was a 1st round game? It was a Sweet 16 game. Maybe he was drunk and high too. 😎

Seton Hall had quite the squad that year, almost won it all. That made me feel slightly less bitter about that loss.

10 hours ago, Inequality said:

Similarly, the same type of thread popped up on a Kentucky board earlier in the season. At the time, Kentucky was in a dry spell and members on that board were calling for Cal to be replaced. Imagine that right? Some expressed the thought of CAM being a great coach and would/could be a great replacement for Cal. 

Just another small example of how other fan bases perceive the potential future of the IU basketball program.

The difference is that Kentucky did fire a coach after 2 years of mediocrity and got Cal.  Not saying we fire CAM just saying some schools just don't put up with this type of season, let alone 2.  And had Cal lost 10 of 11 or more to finish a season in his 2nd year, they probably would have fired him too.   

We’ve got to get Romeo’s usage percentage way up.  I mean, waaaaay up.  Archie needs to be clear. Don’t defer to anybody, you’re unleashed. Twenty shots, get to the line, you’re empowered.  Somebody else can bring it up and then he comes and gets it, and let’s go.

It is not just scoring. One of the biggest problems is the pathetic assist numbers. It’s flat out not working to let others control the ball.  Let Romeo create for others.  When Romeo’s usage is up, you can get a 28 point outburst like he had when he carried us past Illinois. 

The rest of the team can’t do it.  Morgan is a good player but it’s not effective playing through him.  Let him complement but allow Romeo to put shots up and create for others. 

And whether it’s Romeo or anyone else, get rid of the 16 or 17 footers, especially of the step back variety, unless it’s an emergency (time elapsing). Dumb shots like those are practically like turnovers.   

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The difference is that Kentucky did fire a coach after 2 years of mediocrity and got Cal.  Not saying we fire CAM just saying some schools just don't put up with this type of season, let alone 2.  And had Cal lost 10 of 11 or more to finish a season in his 2nd year, they probably would have fired him too.   

You forgot one very important thing...Billy Clyde was a drunk.

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We’ve got to get Romeo’s usage percentage way up.  I mean, waaaaay up.  Archie needs to be clear. Don’t defer to anybody, you’re unleashed. Twenty shots, get to the line, you’re empowered.  Somebody else can bring it up and then he comes and get it, and let’s go.

Its not just scoring. One of the biggest problems is the pathetic assist numbers.  Let Romeo create for others.  When Romeo’s usage is up, you can get a 28 point outburst like he had when he carried us past Illinois. 

The rest of the team can’t do it.  Morgan is a good player but it’s not effective playing through him.  Let him complement but allow Romeo to put shots up and create for others. 

And whether it’s Romeo or anyone else, get rid of the 16 or 17 footers, especially of the step back variety, unless it’s an emergency (time elapsing). Dumb shots like those are practically like turnovers.   

We beat up on Rico I mean Dakich a bunch and much of so might be deserved but he is correct when saying you are not running your offense through Romeo if he is always on the wing opposite the ball. 

Find a way to run a ton of 2 man game with Juwan and Romeo. If Romeo is what I believe him to be the chip in his shoulder from the last PU game should ignite something special.  RL career high in points tonight.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

We beat up on Rico I mean Dakich a bunch and much of so might be deserved but he is correct when saying you are not running your offense through Romeo if he is always on the wing opposite the ball. 

Find a way to run a ton of 2 man game with Juwan and Romeo. If Romeo is what I believe him to be the chip in his shoulder from the last PU game should ignite something special.  RL career high in points tonight.

Hard to run a two man game when Juwan is on the bench with two fouls with 17:00 to go in the first half...😩

Archived