"Drastic changes"

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish that I knew the statistics, but when Romeo brings the ball up the middle of the court and attacks, we are much better. This gives guys like Durham and Phin the opportunity to spot up, Smith can back cut and/or find Morgan on the block when the defense collapses. Our points per possession must be much higher than when we have Romeo standing on the opposite wing/corner waiting for the defense to break down.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The difference is that Kentucky did fire a coach after 2 years of mediocrity and got Cal.  Not saying we fire CAM just saying some schools just don't put up with this type of season, let alone 2.  And had Cal lost 10 of 11 or more to finish a season in his 2nd year, they probably would have fired him too.   

He was fired for more of the off the court things like being a drunk and trying to sleep with coeds

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Archie spinning a little bit of used car salesman with his words.  Drastic changes...ha ha.

Zero changes from Minnesota, just Purdue didnt make their threes and IU was at home. Archie keeps saying things and not following through. I have no issues with the process of making changes and getting your players in for your system but call a spade a spade. If he would just come out and say I am playing the hand I was dealt I would have more respect. 

9 hours ago, Riverrat said:

Zero changes from Minnesota, just Purdue didnt make their threes and IU was at home. Archie keeps saying things and not following through. I have no issues with the process of making changes and getting your players in for your system but call a spade a spade. If he would just come out and say I am playing the hand I was dealt I would have more respect. 

This is why I don't listen to his pre-game show...he never follows through with what he says.

Justin Smith's minutes in recent games:

image.png.d460ba5102488573387df0041b7e4585.png

He hasn't been benched completely, but his minutes have basically been cut in half.

Similar story with Green. His minutes have fluctuated a bit more throughout the season, but he has logged 30+ minutes multiple times and now he is getting less than 20.

image.png.839cacca00ce0c4d8365fc06afca65f8.png

And of course, Fitzner didn't play at all:

image.png.d3349eb0c34895ed270e17ab2292edad.png

Anyone who’s been on this board awhile knows how hardcore I’ve been supporting Archie...

I’m going to be a lot quieter now...sorry I expected “drastic changes” to mean just that. Now unless there’s some radical new info that comes out at some point color me extremely unimpressed. 😡

I honestly believe that when the current upperclassmen are gone we will see a total transformation of the product on the court. Some of these guys are the same guys that have been unable to get the job done for a while. Remember the losses to Ft. Wayne & Indiana St? 

Archie is a great coach. It’s been relayed to me that he basically lives at the practice facility and is all business all the time. Which, the amount of money he is making, I think anyone would move their bed right into Cook Hall without hesitation. Also, he is super organized and strategic compared to the last coaching staff. 

Just extra info here for comparison.... I was told that Crean was a big spur of the moment type in that he would just randomly text the team for practices and such. Some of the players, staff, maintenance crews etc would get frustrated and annoyed.

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

I honestly believe that when the current upperclassmen are gone we will see a total transformation of the product on the court. Some of these guys are the same guys that have been unable to get the job done for a while. Remember the losses to Ft. Wayne & Indiana St? 

Archie is a great coach. It’s been relayed to me that he basically lives at the practice facility and is all business all the time. Which, the amount of money he is making, I think anyone would move their bed right into Cook Hall without hesitation. Also, he is super organized and strategic compared to the last coaching staff. 

Just extra info here for comparison.... I was told that Crean was a big spur of the moment type in that he would just randomly text the team for practices and such. Some of the players, staff, maintenance crews etc would get frustrated and annoyed.

Dude.....have you seen his wife!?!?!  There would be a LOT of hesitation. 😏 lol🤣

I think many believed, no, expected drastic changes simply equated to winning.

The drastic change was made imo.  Winning comes from instilling winning culture.  Reducing minutes of individuals causing problems, again imo, is the answer.  If you outright bench them and they mutiny, it's easier for teammates to buy into that toxicity as the aggrieved have had something taken from them.  Now, if you pull them from the game after doing something stupid, then they clown the coach or something similar, it's harder for teammates or fans to feel sympathy for those getting disciplined.  Again, discipline appears to be higher and part of the drastic change of instilling a winning culture.

Some say, "too late".  An anology then, things were going ok, not perfect, but ok when the team was 12-2.  Then it all fell apart.  We do not see inside or behind closed doors as much as we would like.  There are likely far more issues that we will never know about.  I liken it to whack-a-mole.  If CAM and staff don't catch and rectify a problem in a timely manner, the fans find out about it.  On to the analogy and the "too late" crowd.  Many people on this board right now have rotting or moldy food in their fridge.  It was fine when put there.  Like food, a player can turn toxic in short order.  Things were going well enough when we were 12-2.  A questionable food item/player suddenly 'went off', not in the scored 30 points way.  Of course, we can go to the grocery store, restock our fridge while the best CAM can do is play a sub optimal player and wait til season's end.

3 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I think many believed, no, expected drastic changes simply equated to winning.

The drastic change was made imo.  Winning comes from instilling winning culture.  Reducing minutes of individuals causing problems, again imo, is the answer.  If you outright bench them and they mutiny, it's easier for teammates to buy into that toxicity as the aggrieved have had something taken from them.  Now, if you pull them from the game after doing something stupid, then they clown the coach or something similar, it's harder for teammates or fans to feel sympathy for those getting disciplined.  Again, discipline appears to be higher and part of the drastic change of instilling a winning culture.

Some say, "too late".  An anology then, things were going ok, not perfect, but ok when the team was 12-2.  Then it all fell apart.  We do not see inside or behind closed doors as much as we would like.  There are likely far more issues that we will never know about.  I liken it to whack-a-mole.  If CAM and staff don't catch and rectify a problem in a timely manner, the fans find out about it.  On to the analogy and the "too late" crowd.  Many people on this board right now have rotting or moldy food in their fridge.  It was fine when put there.  Like food, a player can turn toxic in short order.  Things were going well enough when we were 12-2.  A questionable food item/player suddenly 'went off', not in the scored 30 points way.  Of course, we can go to the grocery store, restock our fridge while the best CAM can do is play a sub optimal player and wait til season's end.

I am ok with what he is doing now with the reduced minutes, I still think it should have occurred earlier in this nosedive, but we have a young coach so hopefully that is one lesson learned here.

I expect the drastic changes to really occur in May.  There are 2 players that I believe would be best to move on, a recent post describing their behavior on the bench combined with what I have seen in the games I have watched, and some other off court events leads me to believe that it would be best for all parties to go our separate ways.

Then I hope we can still pull Watford/Brooks, the JUCO McNeill to replace the guard that needs to go, and maybe look for a 5th year senior big man that is transferring.  And when I say big, I do not mean a perimeter guy that happens to be tall.

I have been on Miller hard recently, but I would like to see him get this turned around next year.  I don't think the high coaching turnover is optimal but I also do not think it is good to hang on as long as we have with some past hires.

Also, given things that have come out, I want Glass and McRobbie replaced.  That is not changing no matter how well Miller does.  I think those two (particularly the Aussie) need to go.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

I was one who was very critical of the “drastic changes” early on after Archie made the statement, but I have to admit this team has been a completely different team in the last few weeks.  I will be slow to doubt Coach and his words going forward.

More uptempo and less dribble weave offense fits this team so much better. Easier for the guys to gain confidence in shooting and playmaking scoring 52 in a half than for the game. It's a great day to be a Hoosier.

7 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

I was one who was very critical of the “drastic changes” early on after Archie made the statement, but I have to admit this team has been a completely different team in the last few weeks.  I will be slow to doubt Coach and his words going forward.

People expected it to be line up changes or other things, but CAM has mentioned that it was a drastic change in attitudes that needed to happen.  Whatever he did seems to have worked, as the team has come together these last few games.  Keep it rolling!

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

People expected it to be line up changes or other things, but CAM has mentioned that it was a drastic change in attitudes that needed to happen.  Whatever he did seems to have worked, as the team has come together these last few games.  Keep it rolling!

But what does the data say? 

Archived