Can Race Have an Impact?

If Race's  hands aren't as bad as Justin's, and his jump timing isn't as bad as Justin's, and his outside shot is better than Justin's, and his defense is serviceable, I'd like to see him get those minutes. The limited times we've seen him, I've been impressed with his inside ability.

Disclaimer for the future: If Race's Dad tweets anything, I ain't saying boo 😁

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

.....I think he will bring max effort, which is something we can't say about a lot of other players on the team.

I honestly don't care if we win another game.  I just want to see kids who bust their butt and play hard.  I'm not even sure we have five guys on the team who fit this bill.

I've been high on Race even before he committed. I remember watching his highlights thinking this is the exact type of player IU needs but one they never get. I hope one of the "drastic changes" is he's one of the first off the bench. 

I rewatched some of his recruiting highlights and they were filled with good basketball fundamentals. My prediction is 15-20 minutes, 10 points, 5 boards with a thundering, rim-rattling game winning dunk right in haarms grill.

6 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Watching this year's team makes me want to go back and watch some of CTCs first 2 years.  Those teams tried and played with heart, always.  Not for 30 seconds or 30 minutes, but from whistle to whistle.

I see this a lot and I just never agreed with it.  I think it is just revisionist history because everyone knew they weren't very talented.  They did have SOME talent though.  Enought talent that if they did play hard from whistle to whistle, they would not have been blown out as often as they did.  Crean's 2nd team finished the last 10 games of the season by winning one and losing the other nine by at least 14 points.  The worst being a 32 point loss to Wisconsin at home.  

I do agree that this year's team needs to play with more heart, toughness, togetherness, hustle and anything else you can think of.

10 minutes ago, Goose said:

I see this a lot and I just never agreed with it.  I think it is just revisionist history because everyone knew they weren't very talented.  They did have SOME talent though.  Enought talent that if they did play hard from whistle to whistle, they would not have been blown out as often as they did.  Crean's 2nd team finished the last 10 games of the season by winning one and losing the other nine by at least 14 points.  The worst being a 32 point loss to Wisconsin at home.  

I do agree that this year's team needs to play with more heart, toughness, togetherness, hustle and anything else you can think of.

"...everyone knew they weren't very talented."  Then follow it up with "They did have SOME talent though."  

Sounds to me like you are writing some sort of script that is new to me.

The main thing with Race is, at this point, getting him some experience.  IMO, we're beyond the point where the main objective is only winning games - that horse left the barn.  It has to be about preparing for the future: getting young guys some minutes so they can be evaluated for talent, potential, and effort.  This should be like a 3 week tryout session to see who fits going forward and getting improvement from those that prove they want to succeed.  More experienced players like Fitzner, McRoberts (even if healthy) have nothing to prove or contribute at this late in the season.

1 hour ago, GoshenFan84 said:

Race was the player guest on last night's radio show. He goes into detail some of the symptoms he was dealing with from his concussion. Pretty scary stuff and I'm happy that he's back to playing. 

Yea I heard that as well.  For anyone thinking IU was being over the top conservative for holding him out so long... his comments put that to rest.   Just the sound of shoes squeaking on the court gave him headaches.   yikes

I know people question why we didn't try to red shirt him again.  But hearing him last night... Race wants to be on the court now.   He knows he is behind fitness wise but he feels he can and will help his team out now.  

Race could be just the spark we need.

Go Hoosiers!!!

52 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Yea I heard that as well.  For anyone thinking IU was being over the top conservative for holding him out so long... his comments put that to rest.   Just the sound of shoes squeaking on the court gave him headaches.   yikes

I know people question why we didn't try to red shirt him again.  But hearing him last night... Race wants to be on the court now.   He knows he is behind fitness wise but he feels he can and will help his team out now.  

Race could be just the spark we need.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Are you implying that all of the internet doctors blaming Glass and/or too strict of a concussion protocol were wrong???

Is Archie NOT playing Race so he can get him a medical redshirt?  I’m unsure I understand why he is continuing to sit on the bench if he is actually ready to play?  Although I guess there are a lot of things I don’t understand about what Archie does these days. 

Archived