Trayce Jackson-Davis

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

TJD playing Franklin tonight and right now it's tied at 25 with just over a minute left.  Not the most exciting game (clearly) but TJD has 21 of CG's 25 points.  Hoping they can pull it out and he can keep playing.

Just saw on Twitter the game is headed to overtime.  25-all - yikes!

11 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Yep!  CG just won in overtime 29-28.  Trayce finished with 25 points and some good defense from what I could tell on my fuzzy stream.  Moving on to Seymour next weekend!

On 3/2/2019 at 7:50 PM, MrsStoller said:

That is terrible. I think Indiana will have to go to a shot clock eventually for HS. I’m assuming there was a lot of 4 corners and holding the ball. Maybe 45 second clock. Kids should be able to get a quality look by that time...and if not then I can’t imagine kids that bad can hold onto the ball for 45 seconds without turning it over.

On 3/3/2019 at 11:43 AM, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So TJD scores 25 of their 29 points. Then when asked to comment on his performance, he listed each of his fellow senior teammates by name and addressed what they bring to the team. Then thanked them for their contribution, without ever commenting on his performance. That's a great teammate showing real maturity. Don't know how many young men would do that.

Reminds me of some interviews when Damon Bailey was in the high school tournament. He sounded more like a coach than a high school player.

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And some folks thought this kind of stuff would be minimized once class basketball went into effect.

I remember playing against Loogootee when Jack Butcher was the coach and I stood in the right corner for 7 mins. on D in the first quarter. We led 2-0. because we won the tip.

55 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I remember playing against Loogootee when Jack Butcher was the coach and I stood in the right corner for 7 mins. on D in the first quarter. We led 2-0. because we won the tip.

That's not basketball...honestly it's just bad sportsmanship. You can play it off as strategy but in the end it isn't about trying to determine the better team. I know the kids have nothing to do with it but these coaches make the games more about them then the kids. Roll out the ball and let the best team win. Plenty of other strategy that can be incorporated to give your kids a better chance to win. I'm not normally one to promote a lot of change to the game because I mostly like the way it is...but that is something that should change.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That's not basketball...honestly it's just bad sportsmanship. You can play it off as strategy but in the end it isn't about trying to determine the better team. I know the kids have nothing to do with it but these coaches make the games more about them then the kids. Roll out the ball and let the best team win. Plenty of other strategy that can be incorporated to give your kids a better chance to win. I'm not normally one to promote a lot of change to the game because I mostly like the way it is...but that is something that should change.

I usually agree with you but not thistime. We did not hold the ball but game planned to take nothing but layups. We were so outmatched playing the #1  team in the state that went on to go 27 and 0 untested. After 3 quarters we were up 13-11. We lost but their staff and fans applauded our effort. Our kids stuck to the game plan and were disciplined and we gave ourself the only chance to win that game. We lost 23-19.its not about the coach it's about doing what you have to do to give your team the best chance within the rules to win. That team averaged 84 a game 30 points win margin.

1A school with 2 D1 players 6 8 twins. My center was 5 11.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I dont think his teams scored as many points over the course of his career as he had wins.  He really did try to catch the other team sleeping because it was SOOOOOO boring people actually started nodding off.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Jack Butcher won 803 games playing 4 corners. JR Holmes just past him for most wins a couple of weeks ago.

13 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I dont think his teams scored as many points over the course of his career as he had wins.  He really did try to catch the other team sleeping because it was SOOOOOO boring people actually started nodding off.

Look at the 2000 team. Led the state in scoring that year around 80 a game IIRC

16 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Loogootee???   Amish South Eastern???  80 a game???  Was Butcher still coaching then?

Yes he won his 800th game that year. They were ranked #1 all year. Were loaded and actually full court press and looked to run and gun

Disregard. I must have been drunk or something. They were high scoring first few games then back down to around 60.

No disrespect to Mr. Butcher as I am aware he is a legend in the state but simply holding the ball or passing it around with no intention of taking a shot except maybe the last minute of a quarter is not good sportsmanship imho. Running an offense that would only take a good shot is but at least trying to get a shot I think is different. I fully understand it may not be a popular opinion and I'm not saying because I say so it must be right...I just don't like it...I don't think it's entertaining to the players or the fans and doesn't promote the game of basketball. I fully understand what it is like to be an underdog...but to me I want to beat my opponent on the virtue of my performance and not simply running out a clock. It is fair...fully within the rules...even common place...but I don't think it is a good form of basketball nor in the spirit of the game. Wonder why people stop going to high school games....here is a fine example. Glad it had an entertaining finish and again...not blaming the kids etc. I just find it personally not good for the game.

Archived