Trayce Jackson-Davis

1 hour ago, Jacarcio said:

Boy, we lose one recruit an out of state kid ( whom we likely never lead for) and the sky is falling. Lord knows how Michigan feels lol

Haha I know right? Everyone needs to chill my gosh! There is no doudt in my mind Archie Miller can flat out coach! Let's see what he can do with a team that actually  has enough talent to win. 

The reason Ohio State was picked so low last year is because for one the big ten player of the year was hurt the entire previous year therefore no one had any idea how good the kid was gonna be or if he had even fully recovered. When that player turns out to be BTPOY I'd hope you exceed some expectations. 

People need to get the full story before they go praising or bashing people. Yes Holtman is a great coach but he has nothing on Archie Miller who took an extremely undersized team from Dayton to the elite eight. Has Holtman did anything close to that?! 

Archie just landed one of the greatest players in Indiana high school basketball history. Romeo Langford. People amaze me. Smh. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also Matta system compared to Holtmanns is very similar which made the transition easier. It was much harder for Indiana players to go from a ststarem where you play no defense and throw the ball around and have 16 turnovers a game to structured offense that insist on taking care of the ball and learning defense for the first time. BIG CHANGE. Doing all this with far less talent. 

900ddfaf79f2aa95b222c563180f9c03.jpg

Not to sound petty.  And as much as I am an advocate of some material that is put behind a paywall, when it shouldn't.  Other times, like this, material stuffed behind a paywall should stay there.  Also... this is the type of information, that... given time will become public knowledge.   In the meantime, I will be putting feelers out, and promise to report back, when and if I find something.

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

900ddfaf79f2aa95b222c563180f9c03.jpg

Not to sound petty.  And as much as I am an advocate of some material that is put behind a paywall, when it shouldn't.  Other times, like this, material stuffed behind a paywall should stay there.  Also... this is the type of information, that... given time will become public knowledge.   In the meantime, I will be putting feelers out, and promise to report back, when and if I find something.

I don't know what you mean by this

Oh, and let's not forget what our great friend TDH reminded us, just yesterday..... Trayce plans on making six to seven visits.. and per TDH, the list trimming will start soon after the July evaluation period :

Key Update on Trayce Jackson-Davis' Recruitment | The Daily Hoosier

Key point.  You are getting this information for free, thanks to TDH. 

Didn’t read article, but from my “sources....” Three locked in officials are IU, MSU, UCLA. Cutting list to 7. Will take 5 officials, and 2 unofficials. Has noted that Carolina had a coach in attendance for every Peach Jam game. Referred to Carolina as a big-time blue blood, and how “cool” Roy is. Has said it’s a big deal to be recruited by Carolina. Delaying decision timetable to possibly after the season to allow all schools to recruit him.

let me know if you need anything else, Mile.

Maybe it's just me. Great commit for them to get DJ Carton. No doubt....but given what's transpired over the first season for each coach. I'm not worried Ohio St one bit. Michigan, Michigan St (until Izzo just leaves) remains who we should be concerned about moving forward. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier24 said:

Didn’t read article, but from my “sources....” Three locked in officials are IU, MSU, UCLA. Cutting list to 7. Will take 5 officials, and 2 unofficials. Has noted that Carolina had a coach in attendance for every Peach Jam game. Referred to Carolina as a big-time blue blood, and how “cool” Roy is. Has said it’s a big deal to be recruited by Carolina. Delaying decision timetable to possibly after the season to allow all schools to recruit him.

Thanks for letting us know. If I was TJD...I'd take as many visits as the rules allow. Nothing ever wrong with getting information. In the end...I think we should feel really really good about getting him. Unless of course a Trey Lyles situation develops. 

29 minutes ago, Hoosier24 said:

You definitely have some good sources.  And thanks for sharing.

All I have been able to come up with, so far is......."IU definitely will be getting an OV.  "

By the way..... I did read that about UNC. 

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

Twice?

Only at Kentucky.  He was in an NIT his first year at Memphis and under .500 at UMASS.  

Yeah, twice. It’s a smaller school that hadn’t made the tournament for years and he won over 20 games the first year and finished 3rd in the NIT and then won the NIT the next year and turned them into a relevant program. He took that program to three elite 8s and would have a title* if not for a Chalmers clutch 3. He wins.

*(vacated).

7 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

How interested is UNC really when they have not yet watched him play during this 2nd eval period.  You would think if you are truly interested you would watch him.  I would not worry too much about UNC in this one.

It's also interesting that they are not one of his three "locked in" officials.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Oh, and let's not forget what our great friend TDH reminded us, just yesterday..... Trayce plans on making six to seven visits.. and per TDH, the list trimming will start soon after the July evaluation period :

Key Update on Trayce Jackson-Davis' Recruitment | The Daily Hoosier

Key point.  You are getting this information for free, thanks to TDH. 

Thanks for posting mile. 

21 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Haha I know right? Everyone needs to chill my gosh! There is no doudt in my mind Archie Miller can flat out coach! Let's see what he can do with a team that actually  has enough talent to win. 

The reason Ohio State was picked so low last year is because for one the big ten player of the year was hurt the entire previous year therefore no one had any idea how good the kid was gonna be or if he had even fully recovered. When that player turns out to be BTPOY I'd hope you exceed some expectations. 

People need to get the full story before they go praising or bashing people. Yes Holtman is a great coach but he has nothing on Archie Miller who took an extremely undersized team from Dayton to the elite eight. Has Holtman did anything close to that?! 

Archie just landed one of the greatest players in Indiana high school basketball history. Romeo Langford. People amaze me. Smh. 

20 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Also Matta system compared to Holtmanns is very similar which made the transition easier. It was much harder for Indiana players to go from a ststarem where you play no defense and throw the ball around and have 16 turnovers a game to structured offense that insist on taking care of the ball and learning defense for the first time. BIG CHANGE. Doing all this with far less talent. 

To be clear, if you’re referring to me, I don’t think the sky is falling at all.  Carton would have been a nice get, but we didn’t need him and were never in the lead for him.  Losing out on him should hurt a lot more for Michigan, especially coming off a national championship game.  I think we’re in great hands with Archie in every aspect of building and running the program.  Landing Romeo was a huge coup, and I can’t wait to see Archie coach the squad up next season.  I’m not at all saying I wish we had Holtmann instead of Archie.

But to say that Holtmann has nothing on Archie is a stretch.  They have the same number of tournament wins and appearances in their careers.  In their first year in the big leagues, Holtmann far exceeded expectations, and Archie didn’t.  Archie probably did have more work to do installing a new system, but it’s just false to say Archie had “far less” talent.  Juwan had a BTPOY-caliber season, we had 6 upperclassmen, talented underclassmen like Smith, etc., etc.  And now Holtmann has landed two top 30 recruits in the class of 2019 before Archie has landed anyone.  I still like our outlook for the 2019 class with TJD/Brooks/Newman/Franklin, but Holtmann has outperformed Archie up to this point.  Will be interesting to see who comes out on top between the two in the long run... I don’t think either fanbase would trade their guy for the other.

Thank goodness this isn't a sprint...100 yd dash...it's a much longer race. Archie recruiting wise has shown himself to be every bit as good as anyone else in the B1G. On the floor we saw slow but steady improvement. Results weren't anything special because of the slow start the team had but we are trending hard up...and I like it. I'm fine with Archie....Xs and Os I don't think a lot separate him and Holtman...but I think Miller's pedigree along with his ability to previous work as a recruiter for his brother he is an advantage on that front. I think he will be able to seal the deal with kids that some others can not. His staff is top notch (not sure if Holtman would have had the same one) but I think in the long run we got the better deal!

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

To be clear, if you’re referring to me, I don’t think the sky is falling at all.  Carton would have been a nice get, but we didn’t need him and were never in the lead for him.  Losing out on him should hurt a lot more for Michigan, especially coming off a national championship game.  I think we’re in great hands with Archie in every aspect of building and running the program.  Landing Romeo was a huge coup, and I can’t wait to see Archie coach the squad up next season.  I’m not at all saying I wish we had Holtmann instead of Archie.

But to say that Holtmann has nothing on Archie is a stretch.  They have the same number of tournament wins and appearances in their careers.  In their first year in the big leagues, Holtmann far exceeded expectations, and Archie didn’t.  Archie probably did have more work to do installing a new system, but it’s just false to say Archie had “far less” talent.  Juwan had a BTPOY-caliber season, we had 6 upperclassmen, talented underclassmen like Smith, etc., etc.  And now Holtmann has landed two top 30 recruits in the class of 2019 before Archie has landed anyone.  I still like our outlook for the 2019 class with TJD/Brooks/Newman/Franklin, but Holtmann has outperformed Archie up to this point.  Will be interesting to see who comes out on top between the two in the long run... I don’t think either fanbase would trade their guy for the other.

To be clear I wasn't referring to anyone in particular it just frustrates me when people are having doubts or maybe thinking holtmann is better after year one when Archie doesnt get a recruit that wasn't even a must get. 

Archie exceeded expectations last year as well. Finishing 6th was a good year for that team. There is also a significant differcme netween BTPOY and second team all big ten. Ohio state by far had more talent. Add add that to the fact of learning a completely different style of basketball has a big effect. I've played college ball and witnessed it first hand going from one coach to another and their styles are completely different. You are so trained to do one think it takes awhile to learn a new way of winning. 

Now which program was better Dayton In the A-10 or Butler in the BIG East? What Archie did at Dayton was more impressive than what Holtmann did at an already established program that's used to going deep in the tourney and he took them one round farther. 

Hotlman could end up having a better career than Archie although I doudt it. My post was just for the people that may be down or posting some negative stuff because we didn't get one guy. Don't forget what Archie has accomplished already and the fact that he signed Romeo Langford in year 1 who we had absolutely no shot to get with Tom Crean. Let's see what he can do with a team that actually has enough talent to do something. I'll be the first person to criticize Archie when he messes up but I'm no where near doudting us hiring him over Holtman at the moment. 

Archived