Trayce Jackson-Davis

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was really pulling for KB. Never an exact science but if there are 24+ better players I'll be a bit surprised. Duke and Kentucky with 2 each. Those aren't surprising. 2 for Villanova, Florida and Arizona is a bit surprising. Some like to think the Jay Wright model is what we should choose and to an extent I like it but he recruits at a high level too. It's not some magical system. 

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Was really pulling for KB. Never an exact science but if there are 24+ better players I'll be a bit surprised. Duke and Kentucky with 2 each. Those aren't surprising. 2 for Villanova, Florida and Arizona is a bit surprising. Some like to think the Jay Wright model is what we should choose and to an extent I like it but he recruits at a high level too. It's not some magical system. 

Villanova does get good recruits but I would be surprised if they have had many multiple 5*s in a class much less McD boys before. Amazing 2 championships in the last 3 years will do for your recruiting. What I liked about Nova was he had guys at all 5 positions that could shoot last year. The spacing was a thing or beauty and the ball movement GS Warrior like.

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

What is he ranked right now? Has he falling below 5* status? 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What is he ranked right now? Has he falling below 5* status? 

Depends on which site and who pays them to promote. Some guys have zero business being 5 stars. Keion has been anywhere from 20 to 30 something I believe. 5 star in some....high 4 in others. 

On 1/24/2019 at 8:01 PM, dgambill said:

Villanova does get good recruits but I would be surprised if they have had many multiple 5*s in a class much less McD boys before. Amazing 2 championships in the last 3 years will do for your recruiting. What I liked about Nova was he had guys at all 5 positions that could shoot last year. The spacing was a thing or beauty and the ball movement GS Warrior like.

It's interesting because Jay Wright changed his recruiting approach in about 2012-13. I love this approach, if you can do it. This is from a 2014 article:

But that 2011 team lacked those intangibles. They were certainly talented, but something wasn’t right. You could see it when they played. The Wildcats won just four of their last 12 games and then tied a program record for losses a year later by going 13-19.

As numerous players transferred out or left early for the NBA, Wright knew it was time for a change.

A big one.

Wright knew he had to start looking for a different kind of kid. One who not only wanted to come to Villanova but also wanted to stay there.

“We just said we’ve got to start looking at guys that want to be NBA players but also want to get their degree, and if it doesn’t happen after two years, they’re not going to be disgruntled that they’re still in college,” Wright said. “They want to enjoy college for four years.”

Unless the talent level is off the charts, it’s impossible to win when your players are more concerned with impressing scouts and trying to improve their draft status than playing an unselfish brand of team ball.

At some point during that stretch from mid-2011 through the end of 2012 -- when Villanova won just 17 of 44 games -- Wright and his staff recognized that they had to build differently.

“We started looking for a kid we knew would be happy to be a four-year guy,” Wright said. “If he was good enough to leave after two years, that would be a surprise to him, but he wanted to be in school for four years, he was going to enjoy the process, he wanted to be here.”

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It's interesting because Jay Wright changed his recruiting approach in about 2012-13. I love this approach, if you can do it. This is from a 2014 article:

But that 2011 team lacked those intangibles. They were certainly talented, but something wasn’t right. You could see it when they played. The Wildcats won just four of their last 12 games and then tied a program record for losses a year later by going 13-19.

As numerous players transferred out or left early for the NBA, Wright knew it was time for a change.

A big one.

Wright knew he had to start looking for a different kind of kid. One who not only wanted to come to Villanova but also wanted to stay there.

“We just said we’ve got to start looking at guys that want to be NBA players but also want to get their degree, and if it doesn’t happen after two years, they’re not going to be disgruntled that they’re still in college,” Wright said. “They want to enjoy college for four years.”

Unless the talent level is off the charts, it’s impossible to win when your players are more concerned with impressing scouts and trying to improve their draft status than playing an unselfish brand of team ball.

At some point during that stretch from mid-2011 through the end of 2012 -- when Villanova won just 17 of 44 games -- Wright and his staff recognized that they had to build differently.

“We started looking for a kid we knew would be happy to be a four-year guy,” Wright said. “If he was good enough to leave after two years, that would be a surprise to him, but he wanted to be in school for four years, he was going to enjoy the process, he wanted to be here.”

Great post.  

Here's the question for Hoosier nation.  Justin Smith had oddles of potential.  Do you want it to materialize before your eyes of the next 2 years or do you want to bad mouth him and his dad and see him transfer?  We talk all this crap about the old days when guys stayed and developed and we got to know them.  Remember Watford, aka Cookies, like soft batch?   He developed into one hell  of a Jr and sr when lots of old faithful was ready and speculating to see him transfer.  

Will Green be a senior that provides heart and soul like Verdell Jones wound up providing?  What about Al Durham?  Only a sophomore,  has he reached his peak? 

I'm going to relax my expectations and just cheer for growth going forward and I invite everyone to join me.  

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Great post.  

Here's the question for Hoosier nation.  Justin Smith had oddles of potential.  Do you want it to materialize before your eyes of the next 2 years or do you want to bad mouth him and his dad and see him transfer?  We talk all this crap about the old days when guys stayed and developed and we got to know them.  Remember Watford, aka Cookies, like soft batch?   He developed into one hell  of a Jr and sr when lots of old faithful was ready and speculating to see him transfer.  

Will Green be a senior that provides heart and soul like Verdell Jones wound up providing?  What about Al Durham?  Only a sophomore,  has he reached his peak? 

I'm going to relax my expectations and just cheer for growth going forward and I invite everyone to join me.  

AMEN

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Great post.  

Damn..  I forgot about cookies being soft.  I once posted Watford couldn’t jump over a Wheat Thin.   I forgot the transition Watford made. Good point!

44 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Damn..  I forgot about cookies being soft.  I once posted Watford couldn’t jump over a Wheat Thin.   I forgot the transition Watford made. Good point!

There are SO many examples. Just stop and think about the past 10-15 years let alone decades. So many of the top players we’ve had at IU started slow.

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

There are SO many examples. Just stop and think about the past 10-15 years let alone decades. So many of the top players we’ve had at IU started slow.

Coverdale comes to mind...you are right the 3 and 4 stars may not blossom till junior or senior year.  The kids are talented.  

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Landon Turner was the poster child for this. His first year or so he could barely catch the ball

Yes, as I remember it even CRK had given up on him.  Then, he had a good game off the bench and things just started clicking for him which helped lead to our dominating run to the 1981 NCAA title.

15 hours ago, Threedom said:

Coverdale comes to mind...you are right the 3 and 4 stars may not blossom till junior or senior year.  The kids are talented.  

Brain Evans, Oladipo, Jeff Newton, Dane Fife was a five star prospect but started slow, Kyle Hornsby was nothing special as a frost at all and became a big time contributer later, who was the big man from a Tennessee HS who hit the game winner against Michigan State? He wasn’t good at all as a frosh and became a STUD. How about Will Sheehey? He didn’t get out of the gates fast.

i could go ON AND on, the point is TONS of guys heralded or not start slow and become HUGE parts of winning teams and even grow from being not even a good college player to making it to the NBA.

there is ZERO reason to get bent out of shape about a solid recruit not being all that great in their first two years. What’s important is getting kids who are fairly athletic and want to keep working on their games. 

Im also not understanding why some coaches today want length over qualities that are just huge to become a great player. I’d rather have a player with a high Basketball IQ and can shoot the lights out over a player who has great length and athleticism but is as sharp as a bowling ball and can’t shoot worth a lick. I wish we’d always have 1-2 classic great shooting smart Indiana kids on our team at all times. Guys like Coverdale and Hulls are critical.

15 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

And how many slow starters did we have that we didn't even know about because they had to play on the Freshman Team?

• 5 weeks later...

Archived