Trayce Jackson-Davis

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No disrespect to Mr. Butcher as I am aware he is a legend in the state but simply holding the ball or passing it around with no intention of taking a shot except maybe the last minute of a quarter is not good sportsmanship imho. Running an offense that would only take a good shot if but at least trying to get a shot I think is different. I fully understand it may not be a popular opinion and I'm not saying because I say so it must be right...I just don't like it...I don't think it's entertaining to the players or the fans and doesn't promote the game of basketball. I fully understand what it is like to be an underdog...but to me I want to beat my opponent on the virtue of my performance and not simply running out a clock. It is fair...fully within the rules...even common place...but I don't think it is a good form of basketball nor in the spirit of the game. Wonder why people stop going to high school games....here is a fine example. Glad it had an entertaining finish and again...not blaming the kids etc. I just find it personally not good for the game.

I would never just hold the ball but if the other team is superior they should just go get it. I have been on both sides of this. At the end of the day I owe it to my team to find a way for us to win. 120-118 or 30-29. You just cant try to go out and out athlete or outplay everyone. 

I have been a part of programs that would be fine going 0 and 20 if you scored 70 a game and be ready to fire a coac that's 15 and 5 scoring 40 a game.  If you coach to please the fans u will join them quickly

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would never just hold the ball but if the other team is superior they should just go get it. I have been on both sides of this. At the end of the day I owe it to my team to find a way for us to win. 120-118 or 30-29. You just cant try to go out and out athlete or outplay everyone. 

I have been a part of programs that would be fine going 0 and 20 if you scored 70 a game and be ready to fire a coac that's 15 and 5 scoring 40 a game.  If you coach to please the fans u will join them quickly

I understand. It’s not easy to be a coach. Fully sympathize. A shot clock would thus eliminate the issue and many states have gone to it. It’s more than just about entertaining the fans but if people are going to complain in one thread about fans not showing up then defend holding the ball and having 21-19 games it seems to be conflicting ideals. Anyways glad it was an exciting finish and glad TJD gets to showcase his skills another game. I will say this...seen some games down here in Kentucky and 21-19 is the score with both teams running up and down the court and couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. There are some powerhouse schools but for the most part it’s not pretty down here.

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

That's not basketball...honestly it's just bad sportsmanship. You can play it off as strategy but in the end it isn't about trying to determine the better team. I know the kids have nothing to do with it but these coaches make the games more about them then the kids. Roll out the ball and let the best team win. Plenty of other strategy that can be incorporated to give your kids a better chance to win. I'm not normally one to promote a lot of change to the game because I mostly like the way it is...but that is something that should change.

I don't like holding the ball either but I disagree because the coaches job is to find what is best for your team to win that game.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't like holding the ball either but I disagree because the coaches job is to find what is best for your team to win that game.

I agree....which is why i'm in favor of a shot clock..because like I said I don't think that is in the spirit of the game....else they should change the name of the game to keep away because that is what it would more or less become more than putting the ball in the basket (basketball). Again...no hate...I understand their job...which is why it should be changed so they would have to come up with a better way to win the game. To me there are tons of loopholes in life...I just appreciate those that will follow the spirit of the rules. Again..not mad at anyone...and not here to tell someone they are wrong for doing something the rules let you do...I am just in favor of changing the rules. Sorry for the derail....glad Trayce get's to play another game.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree....which is why i'm in favor of a shot clock..because like I said I don't think that is in the spirit of the game....else they should change the name of the game to keep away because that is what it would more or less become more than putting the ball in the basket (basketball). Again...no hate...I understand their job...which is why it should be changed so they would have to come up with a better way to win the game. To me there are tons of loopholes in life...I just appreciate those that will follow the spirit of the rules. Again..not mad at anyone...and not here to tell someone they are wrong for doing something the rules let you do...I am just in favor of changing the rules. Sorry for the derail....glad Trayce get's to play another game.

When our high school built there new gym 12 years ago they went ahead and put in shot clocks above each basket thinking they might go to a shot clock.  My only problem with a shot clock in high school is they can't put it at 30 seconds because even in college there are way to many bad shots trying to beat the shot clock.  If they implement the shot clock I think it should be put at 45 seconds and I also think that is where the college game should be as well.  45 seconds allows you to work for a good shot and not be rushed but it also eliminates teams from holding the ball for along period of time.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When our high school built there new gym 12 years ago they went ahead and put in shot clocks above each basket thinking they might go to a shot clock.  My only problem with a shot clock in high school is they can't put it at 30 seconds because even in college there are way to many bad shots trying to beat the shot clock.  If they implement the shot clock I think it should be put at 45 seconds and I also think that is where the college game should be as well.  45 seconds allows you to work for a good shot and not be rushed but it also eliminates teams from holding the ball for along period of time.

Agreed. 45 seconds is reasonable and what I would think they would go with. I think they thought with class basketball there wouldn't be a need to do this...but I would think it necessary...only thing holding it up I would think would be expense that most schools balk at....paying for it...and paying for a time keeper to run it.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. 45 seconds is reasonable and what I would think they would go with. I think they thought with class basketball there wouldn't be a need to do this...but I would think it necessary...only thing holding it up I would think would be expense that most schools balk at....paying for it...and paying for a time keeper to run it.

It would be pretty costly and like I said the only high school that I have seen with shot clocks is my old school Knightstown.

When i was a senior in high school, we were not very good at all. We went to play a very good Oakhill squad late in the year. Our coach decide to throw the four corners at them, and he was very dedicated to that game plan. He told us the ONLY acceptable shot in the first half was a wide open lay up. He benched our point gauge for a qtr for uncorking a baseline 15 ft'er. THE PLAN = try to stay close enough to play hard in 4th qtr to steal a win. Halftime we were down 8 - 2 ..yes, TWO free throws.  The place went nuts while we held the ball, I mean nuts like we were peeing at mid court nuts. Since Oakhill was ahead they did not need to press action, i really thought fans were coming out onto the floor to stomp my face. we lost like 28-18.  Thankfully we didn't do that again. Worse night ever.

Just bringing this back to TJD:

The No. 1 player in Indiana had offers from countless universities; however, he chose to stay close to home: Indiana University at Bloomington. 

"It's because coach (Tom) Ostrom and coach Archie (Miller) made me a priority from Day One. Me and (La Lumiere School's) Keion Brooks were the two players that they really went after really hard, and (Cathedral's) Armaan Franklin, too. But since the start that they got here, that's the two players that they've really hard coming at. Then just playing for your hometown, and Indiana on the front of your chest. That was really big for me," Trayce said.

Check "McDonald's All American" off the list. However, Trayce still has two more achievements he'd like to mark off before his high school career comes to an end: Win a state championship and become Mr. Basketball.

"So, I got one of them (McDonald's All American) and then the other two are still on the table. So just check one off the list and keep going for the next two," Trayce said.

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/trayce-jackson-davis-recognized-as-mcdonald-s-all-american/1800689547

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Just bringing this back to TJD:

The No. 1 player in Indiana had offers from countless universities; however, he chose to stay close to home: Indiana University at Bloomington. 

"It's because coach (Tom) Ostrom and coach Archie (Miller) made me a priority from Day One. Me and (La Lumiere School's) Keion Brooks were the two players that they really went after really hard, and (Cathedral's) Armaan Franklin, too. But since the start that they got here, that's the two players that they've really hard coming at. Then just playing for your hometown, and Indiana on the front of your chest. That was really big for me," Trayce said.

Check "McDonald's All American" off the list. However, Trayce still has two more achievements he'd like to mark off before his high school career comes to an end: Win a state championship and become Mr. Basketball.

"So, I got one of them (McDonald's All American) and then the other two are still on the table. So just check one off the list and keep going for the next two," Trayce said.

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/trayce-jackson-davis-recognized-as-mcdonald-s-all-american/1800689547

Interesting how he threw those other's names in there....dropping a hint. He could have easily have just mentioned they recruited me hard...but he mentioned his other future team mate at IU and Keion by name. Hinting at anything???

Archived