Trayce Jackson-Davis

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

And Knight only did that twice. Recker-Coverdale and Pat Graham and Damon Bailey in 89-90.

87 is an asterisk: the award was a tie between Jay Edwards and Lyndon Jones, and Knight got them both.

I mentioned the other day, that Del Ray Brooks, out of Michigan City came to IU as co-Mr.Basketball of Indiana. However, I failed to mention that at the same time he was also named as USA's National Player of the year.

Coach Miller is making good on his promise to us to lock up the borders of Indiana.

This is probably a really dumb question, but I’m not connected to Indiana HS hoops at all.

Brooks wasn’t even a finalist for the Mr. basketball. Did the other players just put up better stats... or is that the powers that be’s subtle way of giving the finger to him for not picking IU?

7 minutes ago, SeeYa@roys said:

This is probably a really dumb question, but I’m not connected to Indiana HS hoops at all.

Brooks wasn’t even a finalist for the Mr. basketball. Did the other players just put up better stats... or is that the powers that be’s subtle way of giving the finger to him for not picking IU?

He wasn't eligible to even be considered once he chose La Lumiere as they aren't a registered IHSAA school. Certainly over the years choosing IU never hurts your chances but more Mr. Indiana players have gone elsewhere since 2000. We've had 7.

11 minutes ago, SeeYa@roys said:

He didn't play for a an IHSAA high school.  LaLu is not a member.

31 minutes ago, SeeYa@roys said:

He did not play for an ISHAA sanction team.  Also they were not allowed to play in the state tournament as well.

2 hours ago, SeeYa@roys said:

Who?

2 hours ago, SeeYa@roys said:

Not a dumb question, I had forgotten about that as well.

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

How long do people envision TJD at IU?  a 1 and done? a 2-3 year player?

I'm envisioning the Cody Zeller path of two years.  TJD has a tremendous skill set right now, but he could probably use the weight training/bulking up as much as anything.

53 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm envisioning the Cody Zeller path of two years.  TJD has a tremendous skill set right now, but he could probably use the weight training/bulking up as much as anything. 

Cody was who came to mind for me as well.  TJD is in great shape, but compare him to NBA 4s and he's a stick. 

The final 247Sports player rankings for the 2019 class have been released.

Trayce fell 11 spots to #27 and dropped from a 5-star to 4-star.

TJD is still a 5-star in the 247 Composite rankings.

2 minutes ago, KDB said:

He's better than that.  Those analysts will be eating their words before his college career is over.

I don’t think anyone expected Cody to contribute as much as he did his freshman year.  I thought he would be good, but thought he would be a 3 year player at least.  I need to see TJD play a college game before I determine who to compare him with.  

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

He outweighs Cody by 25lbs when they were both SRs in HS. 

I sure would not have guessed that.  Didn't realize Trayce was 230, but I still think he's a 2-year project.  Dale was 20 pounds heavier in his playing days and a couple of inches taller.  That might be why Trayce seemed a little thin to me.  Dale was an absolute bruiser.  Trayce could certainly blow up as a freshman and surprise me, but right now, I expect him to be really good, but not quite pro-ready.  If he really shows his jumper as a freshman, IU will likely lose him.  He's already really good in the post.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don’t think anyone expected Cody to contribute as much as he did his freshman year.  I thought he would be good, but thought he would be a 3 year player at least.  I need to see TJD play a college game before I determine who to compare him with.  

Right, and then Cody came in and added appx 25 pounds over the summer before his frosh year. He was rail thin coming in, and it was for that reason most thought he'd take some time. He did move up pretty significantly in the scouts' / services' ratings though. At one point Plum3 was rated better, then Cody started really coming on. He had the tools, but not the body, then he honed the body.

46 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I sure would not have guessed that.  Didn't realize Trayce was 230, but I still think he's a 2-year project.  Dale was 20 pounds heavier in his playing days and a couple of inches taller.  That might be why Trayce seemed a little thin to me.  Dale was an absolute bruiser.  Trayce could certainly blow up as a freshman and surprise me, but right now, I expect him to be really good, but not quite pro-ready.  If he really shows his jumper as a freshman, IU will likely lose him.  He's already really good in the post.

Going to be really fun to follow his development. I don't have any real insight to offer on him, and appreciate input from people who do. It does seem unfair to start comparing him to Cody, as good as Cody was, but then he is a Mr. Basketball and he is stronger than Cody was coming in. What he does over the summer will be interesting to watch. Cody became a beast over that first summer. 

Not meant at a dig at Crean -- but Cody's development was one of the few development areas/players I felt Crean and staff fell short on. Can CAM/staff deveolop Trayce into a beast as a frosh?

2 hours ago, KDB said:

TJD is still a 5-star in the 247 Composite rankings.

The espn recruiting write up on TJD gives some context:

SPN Analyst
Updated 04/23/2019

Strengths:
Jackson-Davis is a long (7-foot wingspan) and athletic southpaw big man with a developing skill set. He's made consistent strides in both his game and approach in recent years and appears poised to only keep improving. He's well-built with a strong base in his lower body and a solid upper body that should continue to fill out. Jackson-Davis is a fluid leaper who gets off his feet quickly, can finish some high level plays above the rim, and is also a solid rim protector on the defensive end. He can score over his right shoulder in the post and face-up to about 15-17 feet with a soft touch from the high post and increasing signs of a passing instinct. He also appears to be a good teammate.

Weaknesses:
Jackson-Davis is gradually getting more assertive and forceful playing through contact but he can still be lethargic at times and has the physical tools to be more dominant inside. While he's athletic around the rim, he's not quite as fluid away from the basket, a tad rigid in his upper body and so he has some defensive limitations on the perimeter. He may be just a shade under his listed 6-foot-9 and also has a long neck. He needs to develop his right hand and consequent ability to turn his left shoulder in the post. His ability to stretch the floor doesn't extend beyond that 15-17 foot range as he begins to arch his back and shoot a flatter and harder ball.

Bottom Line:
Jackson-Davis, the son of former NBA player Dale Davis, is well-built with good length and athleticism around the rim and a solid face-up skill set from the high post and in. He's shown a steady rate of improvement over the years and has more upside left to discover as he becomes more assertive and develops a killer instinct.

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/230967/trayce-jackson-davis

TJD was on the JMV show on 1070 today and he said one of the thing she needs to work on is his motor and never like hearing player saying that.  To me it is hard to work on having a good motor because I think you either have it or you don't.

Archived