Trayce Jackson-Davis

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

TJD was on the JMV show on 1070 today and he said one of the thing she needs to work on is his motor and never like hearing player saying that.  To me it is hard to work on having a good motor because I think you either have it or you don't.

Was just going to post something similar... Pretty much every assessment of TJD’s game that I’ve seen has mentioned his inconsistent motor/aggressiveness.  Seems like we’ve seen a lot of that at IU over the past few years, kind of concerning.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

TJD was on the JMV show on 1070 today and he said one of the thing she needs to work on is his motor and never like hearing player saying that.  To me it is hard to work on having a good motor because I think you either have it or you don't.

I think it’s great that he sees he needs to work in stuff, but calling himself she, that’s going a bit far 

😁

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Was just going to post something similar... Pretty much every assessment of TJD’s game that I’ve seen has mentioned his inconsistent motor/aggressiveness.  Seems like we’ve seen a lot of that at IU over the past few years, kind of concerning.

I can see why extremely talented kids may get this way over time in high school. Inconsistent levels of challenges. Hard to stay at a 100% level when your competition only requires 35%.

Ill reserve judgement until after a full season in college.

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I sure would not have guessed that.  Didn't realize Trayce was 230, but I still think he's a 2-year project.  Dale was 20 pounds heavier in his playing days and a couple of inches taller.  That might be why Trayce seemed a little thin to me.  Dale was an absolute bruiser.  Trayce could certainly blow up as a freshman and surprise me, but right now, I expect him to be really good, but not quite pro-ready.  If he really shows his jumper as a freshman, IU will likely lose him.  He's already really good in the post.

Dale Davis is one player I'd like to drop into today's NBA and allow 1990s rules, just for $&_#$ and giggles.He was an absolute beast in the paint. If Trayce winds up with half that.....oh things will be fun in AH.

Haarms or Insert Annoying Wisconsin/Iowa Player Here (not like there's a shortage) vs even half of Dale Davis? To quote Marv Albert.... "Yes!"

46 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Um ... ?

Bob Knight joke about Todd Lindemann I believe. Told Dickie V. that he wasn't a true 7 footer because he had a short neck and Vitale repeated it on air during a broadcast. After saying it and seeing his co-host's response, Vitale figured out Knight was pulling his leg.

8 hours ago, IUaic said:

Bob Knight joke about Todd Lindemann I believe. Told Dickie V. that he wasn't a true 7 footer because he had a short neck and Vitale repeated it on air during a broadcast. After saying it and seeing his co-host's response, Vitale figured out Knight was pulling his leg.

Ah, appreciate the explanation, and that's some classic RMK right there.

32 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Ah, appreciate the explanation, and that's some classic RMK right there.

I like the RMK explanation of why Todd had a great game and he said he stuck a fire hot poker up his rear end and forced him to chug ice cold water.  Only Knight comes up with that on the fly

9 hours ago, KDB said:

The final Rivals rankings for the 2019 class have been released.

Trayce fell 15 spots to #35 and down to a 4-star.

That’s what happens when you go to IU...if you get linked to Uk, Kansas, Duke, Memphis...heck they even offer you suddenly your stock goes way up. Coach K just watches one of your games your an instant 5*.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:05 AM, IUaic said:

During the Purdue game, Vitale had this to say about Indiana's 7-foot center, Todd Lindeman: "He's not a real true 7-footer. He may be 7-foot in size, but he's also got that big, big, like, the neck and the head, and therefore he loses a couple of inches versus a true 7-footer with the long arms." Beep.

https://www.si.com/vault/1994/03/07/130594/ive-gotta-be-me-babbling-broadcaster-dick-vitale-may-seem-to-be-all-mouth-but-hes-also-got-a-big-heart----and-a-huge-fear-of-failure

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Sure feels like TJD is Archie's Cody Zeller.  No shade on Romeo, but I have a feeling TJD will make a bigger impact to the program overall.

I don't think it's a guarantee that he starts right away like Cody did. And, Cody had some darn good players around him.   I expect TJD will be here 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think it's a guarantee that he starts right away like Cody did. And, Cody had some darn good players around him.   I expect TJD will be here 2-3 years.

This will be fun to watch.

Cody came in rail thin, he wasn't expected to do more than something like 8 and 5. Then he put on 25 pounds of muscle over the summer in the weight and conditioning program, and having those guys / Vic around him morphed the team into a contender basically overnight. 

He's not ranked/rated quite as high as Cody coming in. He's more in the range of where Wat was on a recruiting/scouting basis.

Cody was a consensus 5-star and IU's 25th McD's All American. TJD of course also is a McD's All American. He played a team low 14 minutes in the game but played with impact when he came in and had a nice two-handed dunk. I like his upside. Also don't think we've ever had a McD's frosh who didn't start. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This will be fun to watch.

Cody came in rail thin, he wasn't expected to do more than something like 8 and 5. Then he put on 25 pounds of muscle over the summer in the weight and conditioning program, and having those guys / Vic around him morphed the team into a contender basically overnight. 

He's not ranked/rated quite as high as Cody coming in. He's more in the range of where Wat was on a recruiting/scouting basis.

Cody was a consensus 5-star and IU's 25th McD's All American. TJD of course also is a McD's All American. He played a team low 14 minutes in the game but played with impact when he came in and had a nice two-handed dunk. I like his upside. Also don't think we've ever had a McD's frosh who didn't start. 

Depends on what you mean by start....Pat Graham.

18 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Sure feels like TJD is Archie's Cody Zeller.  No shade on Romeo, but I have a feeling TJD will make a bigger impact to the program overall.

Fair statement. BUT I'm honestly not sure if we get TJD without Romeo, yes I know they weren't ever going to play together, but... TJD really looks up to Romeo. Romeo made it "cool" again for instate kid to go to IU. 

Archived