Trayce Jackson-Davis

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Fair statement. BUT I'm honestly not sure if we get TJD without Romeo, yes I know they weren't ever going to play together, but... TJD really looks up to Romeo. Romeo made it "cool" again for instate kid to go to IU. 

Very possible..I know he had a lot of pressure from family to look at other schools (MSU) but I agree Romeo going to IU I think settled the worries of trusting an unproven Archie.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, btownqb said:

Fair statement. BUT I'm honestly not sure if we get TJD without Romeo, yes I know they weren't ever going to play together, but... TJD really looks up to Romeo. Romeo made it "cool" again for instate kid to go to IU. 

Romeo's season on campus wasn't exactly memorable. The positive effects of Romeo being on campus will be felt for the next 2-3 years.

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Romeo's season on campus wasn't exactly memorable. The positive effects of Romeo being on campus will be felt for the next 2-3 years.

And longer if he performs in the NBA like I think he will. So glad he had the surgery on his hand. 

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And longer if he performs in the NBA like I think he will. So glad he had the surgery on his hand. 

Well, anything longer is also contingent upon Archie. Romeo will be a good boost for 2-3 seasons, and TJD adds to that momentum. But, Archie needs to keep relationships around the state up and produce on the court for it to continue.

I wonder if we may be “under-hyping” Trayce? Given the results of the season to be forgotten, and the so-called disappointing season Romeo had, not to mention losing 12 of 13, there doesn’t seem to be that much of a buzz around him, and he played with a chip on his shoulder this weekend. I realize we are all cautiously optimistic, but this was a Mr Basketball from the Hoosier State making it clear to everyone how bad he wanted to beat the folks across the river. And for the most part, he backed it up. I think we should be a little more excited to have him,  and hope he has that edge moving forward.

10 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I wonder if we may be “under-hyping” Trayce? Given the results of the season to be forgotten, and the so-called disappointing season Romeo had, not to mention losing 12 of 13, there doesn’t seem to be that much of a buzz around him, and he played with a chip on his shoulder this weekend. I realize we are all cautiously optimistic, but this was a Mr Basketball from the Hoosier State making it clear to everyone how bad he wanted to beat the folks across the river. And for the most part, he backed it up. I think we should be a little more excited to have him,  and hope he has that edge moving forward.

I’m very excited that he’s a Hoosier

“I think everybody plays off of Trayce when he plays the way he’s capable of playing,” Indiana coach Criss Byers of Warren Central said. “He had played that way Monday and Tuesday in practice and I texted Archie (Miller) and Tom (Ostrom) told them how active he was, how athletic he was and what a great job he had been doing for us.”

I think it was his sophomore year, but I remember posting how impressed I was with Trayce’s ability to score around the basket.  He was maybe 6’8 then and not ranked anywhere near where he ended up.  I predicted his ranking could literally be top 25 which was much higher from where he was.  From the video I saw, I noticed that he held the ball consistently high which was a good sign for his age.  A lot of younger players bring the ball lower where smaller guys can defend you or even get it away from you.  He reminded me of Raef Lafrentz in these respects.  Anyway, not saying it to brag as many of us had it, but I believe I had that one right as he ended up being ranked a lot higher.  

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think it was his sophomore year, but I remember posting how impressed I was with Trayce’s ability to score around the basket.  He was maybe 6’8 then and not ranked anywhere near where he ended up.  I predicted his ranking could literally be top 25 which was much higher from where he was.  From the video I saw, I noticed that he held the ball consistently high which was a good sign for his age.  A lot of younger players bring the ball lower where smaller guys can defend you or even get it away from you.  He reminded me of Raef Lafrentz in these respects.  Anyway, not saying it to brag as many of us had it, but I believe I had that one right as he ended up being ranked a lot higher.  

You have a good eye for BB talent. 

SIAP :

To prepare for Big Ten, Jackson-Davis reshaping body.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

admittedly i didn't watch much of the McD's game, but he didn't look impressive with those guys did he?  i thought he looked a little out of sorts from what i saw.  

Yeah, tough to tell in an all star game. I actually thought he looked longer and more agile around the rim than what I was expecting.  He also ran the court well. 

It was my first time to watch him play outside of videos.  Reminded me of some of the agile bigs UNC has had over the last 15 years. (Seems like they're all named Johnson!)

On 6/10/2019 at 6:15 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

admittedly i didn't watch much of the McD's game, but he didn't look impressive with those guys did he?  i thought he looked a little out of sorts from what i saw.  

He was actually strong in limited minutes. As I recall, he played the fewest minutes, but was very productive when he hit the floor and had a big two-handed dunk.

9 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

This is one of my favorite highlight reels in a long time. Not because of anything particular TJD is doing, but because of the looks/body language of the Kentucky kids. That says it all.

I am pleased that you enjoyed it. 

35 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

This is one of my favorite highlight reels in a long time. Not because of anything particular TJD is doing, but because of the looks/body language of the Kentucky kids. That says it all.

Staring down that Kentucky kid after posterizing him was great!

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He was also news to me, thanks for the links.  I looked him up and found that TDH did a story on him too.  6’4 as a freshman.  You figure he might have a couple of more inches in him and end up a wing forward  

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-basketball-recruiting-names-to-know-tayven-jackson/

Kid is only an incoming sophomore. Not out of the question that he could be Trayce's size.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Major thing to note in that regard -- Tayven's dad is not Dale Davis.

Valid.

That said, kid is 6'4" as a sophomore. He's obviously got some genetics for height, given that he's well above the average at 15-ish. The rate at which kids grow around that age is rapid and random.

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

These SI articles always make me laugh.  “Junior forward Justin Smith will step into that space, but he’ll need help from both Jackson-Davis and Brunk under the basket to do so, especially with the graduation of 6’10” Evan Fitzner, who was a helpful presence in the paint last season.”

Uhhhh... Sure he was, lol.

Archived