Trayce Jackson-Davis

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

I like your quarters and 1 under 5 break as a start. shorten half-time by about 3 minutes like you said.

They usually adjust tip offs to account for games running over (9:07, changed to 9:17 at times etc) but I’m fine with what you suggested there as well. 

I enjoy college basketball of course but it needs some tweaks.

We're pretty much on the same page. Also... Trayce Jackson-Davis lol 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really appreciate all the input in terms of ads. Confirms my thinking that HSN's business model is the way to go.  In terms of ITH, I rarely go over there. Not for any specific reason. I just don't go there, much. So it was interesting to hear the input in terms of advertising and how ads are slowing that site down. To the point that some are saying they don't go there because of the ads. Gonna have to check it out.   By the way, I do like Alex.  Remember, when he first started ITH, we used to promote the heck out of his site, on Decker's old Hoosier Nation, in an effort to support his site, and help it to grow.  Back then, I don't even recall his having ads.  And, I am talking about the very first days, he started ITH. 

As far as the what ads have to do with TJD ?   Absolutely nothing.  However, one of the things I like is that when an off topic subject comes up on HSN, we allow it to be discussed.  Unlike on Decker's old site, when the Fourth Estate would lock a thread whenever it got off topic.

Don't worry BDB.  This topic, as so many others will be getting back on topic.  I would hope that you agree with me that when the members put it back on topic, that, that is a better alternative to having the thread locked out, like what was the policy on Decker's Hoosier Nation.  I always thought that was crazy, and judging by the replies to the ad discussion.... still feel it is crazy to lock a thread that gets off topic. Eventually, as I say, they all get back on topic again.

5 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

It’s ruined CBB for me as well. I’ve been thinking of starting a thread on fixing it for a few days now. A minimum of 10 stoppages in action and long breaks during the stops has ruined it for me. A 40 minute game shouldn’t be two hours long and you shouldn’t have a break every ~7minutes followed by a ~3minute stop. That’s absurd.

To me if you can't sit and watch a game for 2 hours you must have an attention problem.  CB goes by fast to me and it is a lot quicker game than college football or baseball.

4 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Ok so there’s 16 timeouts. 8 media time outs and 4 coaches timeouts each for a 40 minute game. Who wants to watch ads for over half the duration? In European football there is no stop in play and 1 halftime break and they make that work. Throwball (nfl) is the absolute worst. There’s like 11 minutes of actual game play in a three hour event.

There are TV timeouts every 4 minutes which would be 10 for the game.  I just don't see this as a big problem and the games have taken 2 hours every since I can remember.  If I take time to watch the game I don't care how long it takes to play especially if I go in person.

3 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I like your quarters and 1 under 5 break as a start. shorten half-time by about 3 minutes like you said.

They usually adjust tip offs to account for games running over (9:07, changed to 9:17 at times etc) but I’m fine with what you suggested there as well. 

I enjoy college basketball of course but it needs some tweaks.

Going to quarters would do nothing to change anything since you will still play 40 minutes.  In the NIT they went to quarters and they still had 2 TV timeouts a quarter and the end of the quarter so it did not make one difference in the flow of the game.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Going to quarters would do nothing to change anything since you will still play 40 minutes.  In the NIT they went to quarters and they still had 2 TV timeouts a quarter and the end of the quarter so it did not make one difference in the flow of the game.

You didn't read my post though. In my post I said you would do one TV TO under 5 of each q and at the end of the qs... so there would be one less scheduled Tv time out per half. 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me if you can't sit and watch a game for 2 hours you must have an attention problem.  CB goes by fast to me and it is a lot quicker game than college football or baseball.

You have animals, jobs, a social life and schooling to attend to? Don’t insult me or insinuate I have issues with attention span. I don’t have time to waste watching commercials and nonsense. If you’re fine with a 70/30 ratio of show to commercial then that’s fine with me, it won’t be for most people moving forward.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You didn't read my post though. In my post I said you would do one TV TO under 5 of each q and at the end of the qs... so there would be one less scheduled Tv time out per half. 

So that would save 4 minutes of your time because TV timeouts during the regular season in 2 minutes so how does that really change things.  I just don't understand why people always have to find ways to try to change things that doe snot needs fixed.  What I don't like and what makes the game go longer is the fouls at the end of the game.  I hate seeing teams down 10 with 40 seconds left still fouling.

You have animals, jobs, a social life and schooling to attend to? Don’t insult me or insinuate I have issues with attention span. I don’t have time to waste watching commercials and nonsense. If you’re fine with a 70/30 ratio of show to commercial then that’s fine with me, it won’t be for most people moving forward.

I work 7-5:30 and have two kids and I can still find time to watch the games and not complain about things that really don't matter.  if you don't like commercials then DVR the game and wait a half hour to watch the game then you can fast forward through the commercials.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I work 7-5:30 and have two kids and I can still find time to watch the games and not complain about things that really don't matter.  if you don't like commercials then DVR the game and wait a half hour to watch the game then you can fast forward through the commercials.

The issue isn’t particularly with the time it’s with the constant break in action. TV tos, coaches timeouts, reviews in plays, refs overcalling games. I just want to watch a smooth game of basketball like they have in HS. Obviously that’s not possible but right now it’s out of control. Don’t forget that you pay for the cable and then they whack you twice and make money off you watching ads. That’s why cable won’t be around much longer.

The issue isn’t particularly with the time it’s with the constant break in action. TV tos, coaches timeouts, reviews in plays, refs overcalling games. I just want to watch a smooth game of basketball like they have in HS. Obviously that’s not possible but right now it’s out of control. Don’t forget that you pay for the cable and then they whack you twice and make money off you watching ads. That’s why cable won’t be around much longer.

I just don't worry about such trivial stuff and don't worry about it.  By the way I was raising my kids without help from their mother and still found the time to watch the games and never thought about TV  timeouts.

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't worry about such trivial stuff and don't worry about it.  By the way I was raising my kids without help from their mother and still found the time to watch the games and never thought about TV  timeouts.

Trivial like arguing about TO's and game stoppages? lol

7 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

One becomes two, two four, and so forth. It gets so far out of control on some places that you have maleware and adware on top of that. Not at all places of course but like posters have said it can turn a good site unreadable like ITH.

Unreadable is a perfect description for some sites.  I have two adblockers on my PC and it's common for them to intercept 60, 70, or more on Indystar.

Archived