Trayce Jackson-Davis

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t care if Archie told me himself he thought we were in a good place with TJD I would still have doubts until he signs. I appreciate all the updates from everyone..but I put an asterisk beside it all.  I fully understand it’s all hearsay until an announcement. I feel confident in the plan and process Archie and the staff has. There are no MUST gets...we are in a good spot and will continue to be that way if we keep the focus where we have it.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I don’t care if Archie told me himself he thought we were in a good place with TJD I would still have doubts until he signs. I appreciate all the updates from everyone..but I put an asterisk beside it all.  I fully understand it’s all hearsay until an announcement. I feel confident in the plan and process Archie and the staff has. There are no MUST gets...we are in a good spot and will continue to be that way if we keep the focus where we have it.

Message board 101

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think TJD is the one “must get” in this class.  Not being able to close the deal on him would be a pretty big failure by the staff.  To really build momentum, I think Archie needs to get both TJD and Brooks.  But at a minimum, he’s gotta get TJD.

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think TJD is the one “must get” in this class.  Not being able to close the deal on him would be a pretty big failure by the staff.  To really build momentum, I think Archie needs to get both TJD and Brooks.  But at a minimum, he’s gotta get TJD.

I respectfully disagree. This team and program is very strong even without him. No one recruit is going to change this program alone. We have a great foundation of players and if TJD comes it will be even stronger but we have some really good guys already here and Archie will find more. It would be a big loss to lose him after all the work and relationship building but the program would survive. He is important but if Romeo wasn’t a must get and we all said we wanted him but we knew in the long run we will survive without him then no one is. I think Jackson Davis is important to our 19 class and bringing others in and building on what we got in 18 but Archie has proven he is a good coach in my eyes. He has done well with less talent and will put a good product on the court regardless.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I respectfully disagree. This team and program is very strong even without him. No one recruit is going to change this program alone. We have a great foundation of players and if TJD comes it will be even stronger but we have some really good guys already here and Archie will find more. It would be a big loss to lose him after all the work and relationship building but the program would survive. He is important but if Romeo wasn’t a must get and we all said we wanted him but we knew in the long run we will survive without him then no one is. I think Jackson Davis is important to our 19 class and bringing others in and building on what we got in 18 but Archie has proven he is a good coach in my eyes. He has done well with less talent and will put a good product on the court regardless.

I don’t agree with the “no one recruit will change the program alone” mentality.  One recruit leads to another, and so on, and so on.  Individual recruits don’t affect the program in a vacuum.  Zeller gets us a conference title in 2012.  Without Zeller, we don’t get Yogi, who got us a conference title in 2016.  Those guys alone pretty much changed the course of the program for a time.

Archie showed up, said he was going to own the state, and then landed Romeo.  Now he has to build on that momentum.  There’s a lot of highly ranked in-state talent in the class of 2019, and Archie needs to “lock down the borders,” as has been said around here.  He’s invested a ton of time and energy in TJD, who’s viewed as a virtual lock to IU.  If we didn’t get him, that would be a huge hit to the program.  Would also likely mean we’d be less likely to get Brooks.  Archie has to land an in-state 5 star in this class, both to send a message to future recruits and to build a championship-level roster in 2019.  Landing recruits like TJD is why Archie was hired to replace Crean in the first place. 

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I respectfully disagree. At some point it’s put up or shut up. A good coach is a good coach but great players are hard to find and any coach will imrove them. Of course Archie can develop players but locking up the best players is imperative and we should expect that at a blue blood school.

My last comment on this, and then I am done 😄

Thanks to those who have "liked " or " thanked " me for my posts... although I am inclined to believe that you are "liking " my comments because of the hope that I am moving on 😝

Last post I will make. I could, you could, anyone could.. . come on here and make claims that they "know things"" without divulging how they got the information. If they are proven to be correct, they can puff out their chests and say, " told ya so." I have connections. I'm important. If it turns out that they are wrong, then there's always that "well, they're 17-18 year old kids and they are prone to changing their minds quickly." Either decision. CYA is accomplished. Supposed "insider" really knew what was going on, or they thought they did, and just so happened to be duped by an overly clever teenager.

Seems to me to be a no lose proposition. Right, and you are viewed as a savant, beloved by most because you bring inside information to the board. Wrong , and meh, those darn kids. 

Sources! I don't need no frickin sources. I can post away and be the guy, regardless of whether I am legitimate or not.

And... as the word at the bottom of my phone asks...I am Done!😛

40 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

And... as the word at the bottom of my phone asks...I am Done!😛

So you are basically flooding the tjd message board to say you think mile is full of crap, in about 150 words a post lol. Waste of time. Mile seems like the nicest guy ever. Find someone else to character assassinate. 

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

I respectfully disagree. At some point it’s put up or shut up. A good coach is a good coach but great players are hard to find and any coach will imrove them. Of course Archie can develop players but locking up the best players is imperative and we should expect that at a blue blood school.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don’t agree with the “no one recruit will change the program alone” mentality.  One recruit leads to another, and so on, and so on.  Individual recruits don’t affect the program in a vacuum.  Zeller gets us a conference title in 2012.  Without Zeller, we don’t get Yogi, who got us a conference title in 2016.  Those guys alone pretty much changed the course of the program for a time.

Archie showed up, said he was going to own the state, and then landed Romeo.  Now he has to build on that momentum.  There’s a lot of highly ranked in-state talent in the class of 2019, and Archie needs to “lock down the borders,” as has been said around here.  He’s invested a ton of time and energy in TJD, who’s viewed as a virtual lock to IU.  If we didn’t get him, that would be a huge hit to the program.  Would also likely mean we’d be less likely to get Brooks.  Archie has to land an in-state 5 star in this class, both to send a message to future recruits and to build a championship-level roster in 2019.  Landing recruits like TJD is why Archie was hired to replace Crean in the first place. 

For a coach that just landed the three best recruits in the state last year he has built up enough report with me that if he doesn’t land a follow up class like that I’m not going to be worried. I think TJD is coming...but even if he doesn’t we will be just fine. Lots of other good targets. We have guys on this roster just as good if not will be better than him I feel. Archie just needs to win on the court and improve this team. If he does that recruiting will come. He isn’t going to hit a home run every year. Some years we will have smaller classes some years we won’t have playing time for a 5 Star that wants to play right away. I’m confident he has us on the right track even if we don’t land a single 5 star recruit. We are a long shot from winning a NC in the next couple years. He is improving the team and he is bringing some respect back to the program. Archie is the most important part of this organization...more than any one recruit. He has won with 3 stars and I’m sure he can win with lowly 4 stars if he doesn’t land TJD. I have faith.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

For a coach that just landed the three best recruits in the state last year he has built up enough report with me that if he doesn’t land a follow up class like that I’m not going to be worried. I think TJD is coming...but even if he doesn’t we will be just fine. Lots of other good targets. We have guys on this roster just as good if not will be better than him I feel. Archie just needs to win on the court and improve this team. If he does that recruiting will come. He isn’t going to hit a home run every year. Some years we will have smaller classes some years we won’t have playing time for a 5 Star that wants to play right away. I’m confident he has us on the right track even if we don’t land a single 5 star recruit. We are a long shot from winning a NC in the next couple years. He is improving the team and he is bringing some respect back to the program. Archie is the most important part of this organization...more than any one recruit. He has won with 3 stars and I’m sure he can win with lowly 4 stars if he doesn’t land TJD. I have faith.

Yeah, I just don’t agree.  IU will not become a nationally relevant program again if it doesn’t start regularly landing 5 star recruits.  Talent acquisition is the most important thing in college basketball.  And the 2019 class is even more important when you look at the relatively shallow pool of talent in Indiana in the class of 2020.  I still think TJD is Bloomington-bound, and we will be in on Brooks until the very end.  But if we miss on both, Archie will have failed to capitalize on any of the momentum IU gained with the Romeo commitment.  That can’t happen.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I just don’t agree.  IU will not become a nationally relevant program again if it doesn’t start regularly landing 5 star recruits.  Talent acquisition is the most important thing in college basketball.  And the 2019 class is even more important when you look at the relatively shallow pool of talent in Indiana in the class of 2020.  I still think TJD is Bloomington-bound, and we will be in on Brooks until the very end.  But if we miss on both, Archie will have failed to capitalize on any of the momentum IU gained with the Romeo commitment.  That can’t happen.

Asking for clarification.  When you say regularly landing 5 star recruits, is that 1 every 2 years.  What is regularly? Not trying to be "that guy", but I believe 1 every year or 2 is fine.  If we are after a Romeo in 1 class and a TJD in the next and CAM wins 50% of those recruiting battles, I believe we will be fine as solid 4-star recruits that fit are added.  Product on the floor will certainly help.  Romeo's recruiting wins/momentum doesn't expire for sometime imo.  He plays high into the lottery, there will be more opportunity for recruiting momentum.

I see TJD as a must-get.  He's an in-state 5-star who fills a team need.  Keion is a perfect compliment to TJD and together with a guard like Newman would make a tremendous class but Trayce is the key and it would be a monster disappointment if he went elsewhere.  I'd fall into the camp that feels like IU would lose a lot of momentum if both Brooks and Jackson-Davis went elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Villanova has some 5 stars but they aren’t landing them every year. I agree targeting the right guys is key and sometimes the rankings don’t mean much. I know stacking classes is what the biggest dogs do but I don’t think we are at that level just yet...far from it...it’s going to take time and maybe not ever. But I’m more than willing to not question Archie if he is winning on the court and has a clean program with good kids that aren’t all 5 stars. I’m just as excited by the 4 stars we have coming in as Romeo..because they are going to be here for awhile. If we only ever land 4 stars we can still be just fine. We won national championships before there were rankings..if Archie does what I feel he can do on the floor we can win with lesser talent.

4 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Asking for clarification.  When you say regularly landing 5 star recruits, is that 1 every 2 years.  What is regularly? Not trying to be "that guy", but I believe 1 every year or 2 is fine.  If we are after a Romeo in 1 class and a TJD in the next and CAM wins 50% of those recruiting battles, I believe we will be fine as solid 4-star recruits that fit are added.  Product on the floor will certainly help.  Romeo's recruiting wins/momentum doesn't expire for sometime imo.  He plays high into the lottery, there will be more opportunity for recruiting momentum.

I would preferably like to be landing at least one every year, sometimes more.  And I don’t think that’s unreasonable either.  If you look at who Archie’s going after in the class of 2019, it’s primarily 5 stars in TJD, Brooks, Carton, Watford, Stewart, and Hurt.  Then he has a few four stars worked in in Newman and Franklin.  There will usually be multiple 5 stars in the state of Indiana, so we should almost always be in the mix for at least one.  And look at what Holtmann is doing at OSU... There’s going to be a recruiting arms race in the Big Ten, and I don’t want to lose.  The elite programs are getting 5 star recruits every year.  We hired Archie to get us to that level again.

Romeo’s performance on the court can help recruiting, but he’ll likely be gone in a year.  If we follow up his class with a class that doesn’t have any elite recruits, we’re not going to be in a good place recruiting-wise.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Villanova has some 5 stars but they aren’t landing them every year. I agree targeting the right guys is key and sometimes the rankings don’t mean much. I know stacking classes is what the biggest dogs do but I don’t think we are at that level just yet...far from it...it’s going to take time and maybe not ever. But I’m more than willing to not question Archie if he is winning on the court and has a clean program with good kids that aren’t all 5 stars. I’m just as excited by the 4 stars we have coming in as Romeo..because they are going to be here for awhile. If we only ever land 4 stars we can still be just fine. We won national championships before there were rankings..if Archie does what I feel he can do on the floor we can win with lesser talent.

Meh... I just think the “we can still be just fine with lesser talent” attitude is kind of a loser’s mentality.  IU hired Archie to be better than that, and he set the standard by getting Romeo.  I want to see that kind of recruiting success continue.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I would preferably like to be landing at least one every year, sometimes more.  And I don’t think that’s unreasonable either.  If you look at who Archie’s going after in the class of 2019, it’s primarily 5 stars in TJD, Brooks, Carton, Watford, Stewart, and Hurt.  Then he has a few four stars worked in in Newman and Franklin.  There will usually be multiple 5 stars in the state of Indiana, so we should almost always be in the mix for at least one.  And look at what Holtmann is doing at OSU... There’s going to be a recruiting arms race in the Big Ten, and I don’t want to lose.  The elite programs are getting 5 star recruits every year.  We hired Archie to get us to that level again.

Romeo’s performance on the court can help recruiting, but he’ll likely be gone in a year.  If we follow up his class with a class that doesn’t have any elite recruits, we’re not going to be in a good place recruiting-wise.

I cannot argue against any of that.  As much as I want to see TJD here (highest priority in the class as of now imo), IU will still be good without him.  Its just that we will be seemingly much better with him.  As you are talking recruiting only, I agree with you.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Meh... I just think the “we can still be just fine with lesser talent” attitude is kind of a loser’s mentality.  IU hired Archie to be better than that, and he set the standard by getting Romeo.  I want to see that kind of recruiting success continue.

As for the "loser's mentality", I cannot agree with.  I prefer the attitude that I can kick arse with a greeting card while you have brass knuckles.  I just prefer to not be in that matchup.

4 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I cannot argue against any of that.  As much as I want to see TJD here (highest priority in the class as of now imo), IU will still be good without him.  Its just that we will be seemingly much better with him.  As you are talking recruiting only, I agree with you.

As for the "loser's mentality", I cannot agree with.  I prefer the attitude that I can kick arse with a greeting card while you have brass knuckles.  I just prefer to not be in that matchup.

That’s a fine mentality to have, but the problem is that the greeting card is going to lose that fight 9/10 times.  Archie needs to be getting the brass knuckles if we want people to fear IU again.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Of course we all want to see that....but I want the success on the court and if he can get it done with mostly 4 star talent and I think he can than most 5 s will come to be a part of it. I agree I want TJD but because of the kid he is more so than just because he is a 5 star. I don’t need 5 stars for the sake of it. Success will be determined on the court...and not on the recruiting trail. I have faith Archie is looking for his guys and will fill a team that will play his way and be successful. Indiana is full of 3 and 4 star talent...I know it seems important to get the 5 stars when we have one but if we play well on the court the momentum in the state will grow in success alone. Guess I’m not so caught up on the stars...I’ll let people determine that but I’m confident in the program improving kids and getting them to achieve more than a ranking. Go Hoosiers!

17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

That’s a fine mentality to have, but the problem is that the greeting card is going to lose that fight 9/10 times.  Archie needs to be getting the brass knuckles if we want people to fear IU again.

Give me a special ops guy with a greeting card over a jackass with knuckles...Archie and his staff is coaching and developmental ninja lol...I think he can do just as well with less talent. Of course I want him to have the best..let’s be honest a special ops with a locker full of top guns and equipment is like the grim reaper..so I prefer that...but I’m more than confident Archie will be fine with all sorts of talent he gets...and he will have some 5 stars...hopefully TJD will be one of those.

IMO a losers’ mentality was developed during Crean’s early seasons.  It gave him extra time/ leeway, and the fanbase bought in to the idea that a long multiple season turnaround was the only path back to success.  In hindsight, that was complete malarkey thrown out by a guy that was in over his head.  

With the right coach, the idea that IU can’t land top talent year in and year out is laughable.  At least one 5 star every year needs to be the goal if we want to get back to elite.  Also, stop with the “it’s going to take time” crap.  That’s the exact kind of losers mentality that kept Tom around well past his expiration date.  IU has everything a coach would ever need to be greatly successful from day 1, and it looks like we finally have a staff that knows how to utilize it.  God, I hope so.

Archived