Trayce Jackson-Davis

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree with previous posters that TJD is the main priority for this class. Land TJD...and this class can basically be filled in with solid longterm guys that we should definitely be able to get.  

Also- I'll get crucified for saying this- but 5 star recruits are overrated.  They often times only stay a year.  Sure- it'd be fun to land some, but for crying out loud- Butler made two national title game runs without a single top 50 recruit.  I know Butler is largely the exception, but I'd argue solid 4-star guys with one homerun every year or two is probably the most likely scenario to lead us back.  And yes- Villanova is probably the best model for this.

Another thing to consider, about half of all top 20 recruits right now go to 4 schools- Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and UNC.  In the near future, that probably won't change too much.  Then there's the odd-ball commitments to places like Vanderbilt, Western Kentucky, LSU, and Nevada.  So it's not like the top 20 programs in the nation all land one five star recruit.  They are largely concentrated among a few schools, then the rest are dispersed among many schools.  

Regarding how often we should be getting 5 star recruits. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be getting at least 1 from each class. Only reason we shouldn't expect that is if state of Indiana has a very, very weak class or we are only taking 2 in one class for whatever reason. 

I'm not expecting us to be Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas overnight...but given the resources, exposure, competition, facilities and unparalleled support for hoops...why should't we get at least 1 per class?

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Meh... I just think the “we can still be just fine with lesser talent” attitude is kind of a loser’s mentality.  IU hired Archie to be better than that, and he set the standard by getting Romeo.  I want to see that kind of recruiting success continue.

Yeah that loser mentality has gotten Villanova two national championships in the last 4 years.  I want IU to build their roster like them rather than how UK or Duke builds their roster.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah that loser mentality has gotten Villanova two national championships in the last 4 years.  I want IU to build their roster like them rather than how UK or Duke builds their roster.

So you do want 5 star guys then

On 7/13/2018 at 8:12 PM, Jerry Lundergaard said:

This is not going to be received well in this board,I am sure of that.

You put this stuff out here like you are connected, but you put a bunch of contingencies on your posts so you can protect yourself if you are proven wrong.

I have zero connections to IU recruiting, and have admitted as such. Even so, I could post a bunch of malarkey with the asterisk of "my source doesn't want to divulge himself." That " information " is useless. Why even bother posting this if you aren't willing to substantiate what you purport to know?

The substance of the text really is impertinent. Rather, the way you position yourself as being a source of inside information really gets old when you aren't willing to provide verifiable sources 

So.... You're saying Mile is just like every other person who ever has inside information.  Please show me examples of where you have someone on a forum provide inside information and give us/you the person responsible for it.  I will will wait.  Give you some time to do some homework and get back to me.

As for Mile just throwing stuff out there, ummm, not really what he does.  Maybe some like to act like they have contacts and sound good and be in the know but mile has always just given us what he finds out.  Some doesn't pan out but most of it is true.  And even if turns out to be bad information he doesn't do it to be cool, he does it to give us what he knows.  

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't mind one a class but I don't want 4 or 5 one and done players each year.  Also not all 5 stars are the same because some might not have the mentality that they will only be there one year and leave.

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Lol, some people just don’t get it.  I am going to love it when Villanova starts landing a bunch of 5 stars because of their success in the tournament while Wisconsin falls off a cliff with the scrubs Gard is recruiting.  Both of those things have already started happening.  The “IU should recruit worse players” crowd will lose their two favorite examples.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Villanova just won the national championship with three five stars in the starting lineup that all got selected in the NBA draft.  They’re bringing in a 5 star point guard this season and are in on multiple 5 stars for 2019.  Thanks for playing, better luck next time!

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Villanova just won the national championship with three five stars in the starting lineup that all got selected in the NBA draft.  They’re bringing in a 5 star point guard this season and are in on multiple 5 stars for 2019.  Thanks for playing, better luck next time!

One in  each class and none of them were one and done so try again young man.  I never said I did not want any one and done players but not the way UK or Duke does it.  Also on Villanova their 5 star players were ranked between 15-20 in their class and those guys are less likely to be one and done.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

One in  each class and none of them were one and done so try again young man.  I never said I did not want any one and done players but not the way UK or Duke does it.  Also on Villanova their 5 star players were ranked between 15-20 in their class and those guys are less likely to be one and done.

Hmmm... Who’s been talking about one and done players?  Reading is hard.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Hmmm... Who’s been talking about one and done players?  Reading is hard.

Also who was the 3rd 5 star player in Villanova's starting lineup because Brunson and Spellman was the only 5 stars I seen.  bridges was ranked 82 in his class so he was not a 5 star players.  Also Villanova's best class rankings between 15-18 was 26th.

28 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Villanova only had two 5 star recruits on that team in Spellman and Brunson. DiVencenzo and Bridges were the other two drafted and were no where close to 5 star status. 

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also who was the 3rd 5 star player in Villanova's starting lineup because Brunson and Spellman was the only 5 stars I seen.  bridges was ranked 82 in his class so he was not a 5 star players.  Also Villanova's best class rankings between 15-18 was 26th.

Let it go man.  No team is winning the National Championship without having elite talent.  Its possible a fluke happens but that is the exception, not the norm. 

This is not 1987, or even 97.  Elite talent doesn't usually stay more than 2 years.  If you want to compete at a high level, you have to have elite talent mixed with good talent.  And even good 4* talent can leave after a couple years if they evolve their skills.  Villanova had/has the right mix of talent the last couple years.  They also have the Elite talent that matches their brand of basketball.  The same goes for UNC, UL, KU, Duke, MSU, UK, etc...  Kentucky is the exception to the rule on 5* talent.  They grab all they can and hope it works out.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Let it go man.  No team is winning the National Championship without having elite talent.  Its possible a fluke happens but that is the exception, not the norm. 

This is not 1987, or even 97.  Elite talent doesn't usually stay more than 2 years.  If you want to compete at a high level, you have to have elite talent mixed with good talent.  And even good 4* talent can leave after a couple years if they evolve their skills.  Villanova had/has the right mix of talent the last couple years.  They also have the Elite talent that matches their brand of basketball.  The same goes for UNC, UL, KU, Duke, MSU, UK, etc...  Kentucky is the exception to the rule on 5* talent.  They grab all they can and hope it works out.

You really need to look at UNC player rankings because they have no gotten a top 10 recruit in the last 5 years until this year.  Most the recruits UNC have been getting has been ranked somewhere between 15-75 and have won a lot.  So you are saying that Villanova has been a fluke the last few years because their best class rankings has been 26th until 2019 class.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Villanova only had two 5 star recruits on that team in Spellman and Brunson. DiVencenzo and Bridges were the other two drafted and were no where close to 5 star status. 

Yeah, I was mistaken.  Thought Bridges was a 5 star since he was the most highly-rated draft prospect of the group.  Regardless, the point doesn’t change at all.  They had multiple five stars on that team, and now that they’ve had all this success, Wright is going after as many 5 stars as he can.  That’s just how you win in college basketball.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding how often we should be getting 5 star recruits. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be getting at least 1 from each class. Only reason we shouldn't expect that is if state of Indiana has a very, very weak class or we are only taking 2 in one class for whatever reason. 

I'm not expecting us to be Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas overnight...but given the resources, exposure, competition, facilities and unparalleled support for hoops...why should't we get at least 1 per class?

Maybe because pretty soon a half dozen or more will be going to the NBA and not attending college at all. Like another posted...UNC, UK, Duke, and Kansas get a majority. That won't change anytime soon....so between that and the NBA there are only so many left and there are tons of other great programs in the country. We are going to have to do a lot of winning on the court to get back to that status despite what we think about ourselves. I'm sure we will do that and I'm also sure we can do that with mostly 4 star talent and occasional 5 stars. TJD is a local 5 star kid that has been in the University pipeline for a long time....that might be the biggest reason he is a "must" get but I would say that's more to do with how long and close our ties to him are more than just the fact he is getting ranked a 5 star. I'm more focused on the product on the court then the number of stars these kids are. College basketball with it's parity today mean kids have great opportunities at more and more schools. The difference in facilities and education etc are almost nil. We have a great history and great bunch of fans but we see that most kids today prefer to play with other kids they like and coaches that develop for the NBA and play a style of basketball that fits their game. I think Archie will have to show he can put kids in the NBA to make a big dent in the 5 star recruits. Romeo is a big start in that. Hopefully, TJD will also be in the pipeline to be in the league too!

53 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, some people just don’t get it.  I am going to love it when Villanova starts landing a bunch of 5 stars because of their success in the tournament while Wisconsin falls off a cliff with the scrubs Gard is recruiting.  Both of those things have already started happening.  The “IU should recruit worse players” crowd will lose their two favorite examples.

The Wisconsin example is/was always a personal favorite. The crowd that said Bo did more with less should visit recruiting rankings. Numerous high 4 stars with 5 star guys peppered in. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe because pretty soon a half dozen or more will be going to the NBA and not attending college at all. Like another posted...UNC, UK, Duke, and Kansas get a majority. That won't change anytime soon....so between that and the NBA there are only so many left and there are tons of other great programs in the country. We are going to have to do a lot of winning on the court to get back to that status despite what we think about ourselves. I'm sure we will do that and I'm also sure we can do that with mostly 4 star talent and occasional 5 stars. TJD is a local 5 star kid that has been in the University pipeline for a long time....that might be the biggest reason he is a "must" get but I would say that's more to do with how long and close our ties to him are more than just the fact he is getting ranked a 5 star. I'm more focused on the product on the court then the number of stars these kids are. College basketball with it's parity today mean kids have great opportunities at more and more schools. The difference in facilities and education etc are almost nil. We have a great history and great bunch of fans but we see that most kids today prefer to play with other kids they like and coaches that develop for the NBA and play a style of basketball that fits their game. I think Archie will have to show he can put kids in the NBA to make a big dent in the 5 star recruits. Romeo is a big start in that. Hopefully, TJD will also be in the pipeline to be in the league too!

I wouldn't lump UNC in that group because they have not been getting top 10 players lately.  Their only one and done the last few years was ranked around 30 coming out of high school and did not even start.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The Wisconsin example is/was always a personal favorite. The crowd that said Bo did more with less should visit recruiting rankings. Numerous high 4 stars with 5 star guys peppered in. 

Yes I'm tired of losing to them. Less talent but better teams. Play smart fundamental basketball...it hurt so much because they beat us the way we used to beat teams 20-30 years ago. We gave up on that kind of basketball because we wanted someone with flash and style.....instead of substance. I'm so glad we have Archie because I think he has the right amount of both. I feel confident in the next few years I won't have to watch another IU game where a player immediately gets the ball and drives it straight to the baseline or doesn't know how to properly make an entry pass.....or play defense....or have a team without at least a couple great shooters. Archie knows identity basketball and defense, great shooters, and fundamentals is what Indiana is known for. Just for a cherry on top he is going to throw in a dunk machine in TJD.....I'm counting on you Archie!!

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't lump UNC in that group because they have not been getting top 10 players lately.  Their only one and done the last few years was ranked around 30 coming out of high school and did not even start.

I think that is changing back mostly. They had a NCAA investigation sitting over their head and an unusual amount of NBA talent that decided to stick around. Hard to get a 5 star recruit come in when you have guys like Berry and May co.  sticking around...I think they will have that some but they will always have the pick of the crop with the popularity of the program and the stars they've put in the NBA. UNC at least for the foreseeable future is still going to target and get a bigger share of 5 stars than most.

Archived