Trayce Jackson-Davis

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes I'm tired of losing to them. Less talent but better teams. Play smart fundamental basketball...it hurt so much because they beat us the way we used to beat teams 20-30 years ago. We gave up on that kind of basketball because we wanted someone with flash and style.....instead of substance. I'm so glad we have Archie because I think he has the right amount of both. I feel confident in the next few years I won't have to watch another IU game where a player immediately gets the ball and drives it straight to the baseline or doesn't know how to properly make an entry pass.....or play defense....or have a team without at least a couple great shooters. Archie knows identity basketball and defense, great shooters, and fundamentals is what Indiana is known for. Just for a cherry on top he is going to throw in a dunk machine in TJD.....I'm counting on you Archie!!

Just to be clear. I was saying people who suggested Bo Ryan's teams didn't have highly rated talent didn't pay attention to recruiting rankings. He's a good coach no doubt...but they had plenty of talent. In some years because none of their players ever left early (seemed like) they had more talent than most. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so happy the one and done era appears to be close to an end, so we can stop this debate of how to construct a championship team.  It will just be get the best players that don't enter the draft out of high school.  Those kids will likely have to stay and prove themselves in college for at least a couple of years because there will always be elite high school talent that will be coming out of high school and jumping to the NBA.

15 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I am so happy the one and done era appears to be close to an end, so we can stop this debate of how to construct a championship team.  It will just be get the best players that don't enter the draft out of high school.  Those kids will likely have to stay and prove themselves in college for at least a couple of years because there will always be elite high school talent that will be coming out of high school and jumping to the NBA.

Yeah, a lot of this debate will be moot in a few years once the NBA does away with the one-and-done rule (as Adam Silver has already hinted at).  But on the other hand, getting high-end talent will become even more important with a smaller pool of players to choose from.

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, a lot of this debate will be moot in a few years once the NBA does away with the one-and-done rule (as Adam Silver has already hinted at).  But on the other hand, getting high-end talent will become even more important with a smaller pool of players to choose from.

I wouldn't say the pool will be that much smaller since we are generally talking about 10-15 players in each class that will go straight to the NBA.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I was mistaken.  Thought Bridges was a 5 star since he was the most highly-rated draft prospect of the group.  Regardless, the point doesn’t change at all.  They had multiple five stars on that team, and now that they’ve had all this success, Wright is going after as many 5 stars as he can.  That’s just how you win in college basketball.

Agreed. You have to go after them, that's a given but my personal preference will always be get the one or two best guys you can muster in any class then build around them with guys who are solid but will stay 3-4 years. A very good senior can be much more valuable and arguably better player on a college team than a top 10 one-and-done freshmen. TJD is a kid who will continue the recruiting momentum but I don't necessarily need Archie to only be shopping in the top 25. A good balance makes for sustainable success. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You really need to look at UNC player rankings because they have no gotten a top 10 recruit in the last 5 years until this year.  Most the recruits UNC have been getting has been ranked somewhere between 15-75 and have won a lot.  So you are saying that Villanova has been a fluke the last few years because their best class rankings has been 26th until 2019 class.

thanks for picking the 1 team out of the list.  And i would go as far to say that they do have elite talent most of the time.   Maybe not the last few years.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't say the pool will be that much smaller since we are generally talking about 10-15 players in each class that will go straight to the NBA.

The pool of top 30 players will be cut in half when 10-15 go straight to the NBA...

24 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Agreed. You have to go after them, that's a given but my personal preference will always be get the one or two best guys you can muster in any class then build around them with guys who are solid but will stay 3-4 years. A very good senior can be much more valuable and arguably better player on a college team than a top 10 one-and-done freshmen. TJD is a kid who will continue the recruiting momentum but I don't necessarily need Archie to only be shopping in the top 25. A good balance makes for sustainable success. 

Agreed.  It appears that Archie is targeting players in the 10-30 range, and then looking to supplement that with players in the top 100.  I like that approach.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The Wisconsin example is/was always a personal favorite. The crowd that said Bo did more with less should visit recruiting rankings. Numerous high 4 stars with 5 star guys peppered in. 

Sam Dekker is the only 5 star guy I remember but I get what you are saying.  Bgleas, yourself and others have trumpeted this idea for years.  Get good 4 star guys, preferrably in state if you can, and a 5 star or 2 per year and you are always hunting B1G championships and high seeds.  

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Real problem for college coaches will be going after those guys who are borderline NBA possibilities coming out of high school and prioritizing them with the idea it could be all for nothing in the end, should they choose the NBA route.

Just now, IUALUM03 said:

Real problem for college coaches will be going after those guys who are borderline NBA possibilities coming out of high school and prioritizing them with the idea it could be all for nothing in the end, should they choose the NBA route.

It will be very interesting to see how coaches adjust to new rules on the horizon.

29 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

It will be very interesting to see how coaches adjust to new rules on the horizon.

Maybe, they may also have to hold scholarships since the new rule also might allow them to go to college if they are not drafted.  Will change how you recruit and how stingy you will become with scholarship.  Schools could really get some good players if they have open scholarships in say June

Here’s a slightly OT thought about these recruiting threads and them occasionally going off the rails and people getting mad about it:

We are mostly not hearing anything at all on any front. People should perhaps have faith that when there’s news or movement it will be posted in the appropriate threads.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating for free reign of anyone wishing to highjack a topic. I’m really not. But, the incessant piling on of folks clamoring to get back to the recruit in question when a couple/few members want to have a sidebar is fairly comical. We all get it. We all want good news. If wishing made it so. Somehow forbidding people from any discussion at all not directly linked to the recruitment of the respective player just seems a little ridiculous to me. As if not talking about anything but that individual is going to force new news.

Just as in real life not on a message board, conversations ebb and flow, sometimes they shift directions. We shouldn’t have to go to another room (thread) every time something additional comes up. At the end of the day, this is a message board, it’s sole purpose is to facilitate conversation.

My two cents.

(I even felt like I was on eggshells typing this.)

30 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Here’s a slightly OT thought about these recruiting threads and them occasionally going off the rails and people getting mad about it:

We are mostly not hearing anything at all on any front. People should perhaps have faith that when there’s news or movement it will be posted in the appropriate threads.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating for free reign of anyone wishing to highjack a topic. I’m really not. But, the incessant piling on of folks clamoring to get back to the recruit in question when a couple/few members want to have a sidebar is fairly comical. We all get it. We all want good news. If wishing made it so. Somehow forbidding people from any discussion at all not directly linked to the recruitment of the respective player just seems a little ridiculous to me. As if not talking about anything but that individual is going to force new news.

Just as in real life not on a message board, conversations ebb and flow, sometimes they shift directions. We shouldn’t have to go to another room (thread) every time something additional comes up. At the end of the day, this is a message board, it’s sole purpose is to facilitate conversation.

My two cents.

(I even felt like I was on eggshells typing this.)

I have often thought about this.  The straying off topic.... that is.  And here we go again.  Straying off topic.  My apologies, mods. 

Here's what I think.  And I liken it when LafHoosier  (may he rest in peace) and his family spent a fabulous evening in my back yard, a few years back. It was a great evening. The main topic of discussion was,  of course, IU basketball.  However the conversation strayed from all kinds of topics, that we were all interested in.

Now, I don't spend time in bars.  Just not my kind of thing.  But I could see a conversation among IU fans jumping from topic to topic, there as well.

In other words... I have never been bothered.... going all the way back to the John Decker days on Hoosier Nation, on the old Scout platform, when a thread goes off topic. John Decker, and primarily The Fourth Estate, were down right dictatorial when a thread went off topic.  To the point of locking most threads when they did in fact go off topic. Only to have the guy who was posting off topic, come back with a new thread, and most times very cogent information. So in the end, just as we were that fabulous night on my back patio with LafHoosier and his family.... we are all IU fans.... talking about subjects of interest to us all.   Let the conversation flow.  I have been searching for "fresh" material on Trayce. In order to keep this thread on topic.  I did find the link from Inside The Hall, which I posted on page 39.  Just not that much out there. 

Zerawkid... you hit the nail on the head, as far as I am concerned.  Real life conversations ebb and flow.  And, for me.... at least.... threads that do likewise on HSN are more interesting when the conversation ebbs and flows as well.   I don't see anything wrong, going off topic, unless it is a malicious attempt to hijack a thread. 

Considering the options.... not to have any ongoing conversation, or some conversation of interest to IU BB fans..... especially during the off season.... I choose the later.

Thanks for your post, friend.

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sam Dekker is the only 5 star guy I remember but I get what you are saying.  Bgleas, yourself and others have trumpeted this idea for years.  Get good 4 star guys, preferrably in state if you can, and a 5 star or 2 per year and you are always hunting B1G championships and high seeds.  

Brian Butch(5 star), Stiesma, Krabbenhoft (5 star), Hughes, Bohannon, Leuer, Berggren, Dekker (5 star), Koennig.....these are just off the top of my head. All high 4 star or 5 star guys. 

Kaminsky and a few others were 3 star guys so I can't list them. My only thing is this. Bo wasn't getting Duke or Kentucky talent...but he wasn't starving either. Much like Coach Knight....his best years were some of his most talented. Not a coincidence. 

My apologies. Back to TJD. He and Brooks would essentially make Archie 3-0 for 5 star in state guys after being on the job for 15 months. 

My 2 cents.....  When I log on to HSN 3.0 and see updated responses on a particular recruit, I click it to see what updates there are. I don't need to see all the OT stuff that gets posted. That's why an "OFF TOPIC" thread was started in the General Basketball forum......  Use it

Again, just my 2 pennies

3 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

My 2 cents.....  When I log on to HSN 3.0 and see updated responses on a particular recruit, I click it to see what updates there are. I don't need to see all the OT stuff that gets posted. That's why an "OFF TOPIC" thread was started in the General Basketball forum......  Use it

Again, just my 2 pennies

Nothing left to be said,well done

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Again, just my 2 pennies

I appreciate what you are saying. I really do.  However for months I have been wondering why we have an off topic thread in a basketball forum, when we have an entire off topic forum..... called, "The Animal House."

6 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Again, just my 2 pennies

This whole discussion has really been about whether TJD is a “can’t-miss” recruit, so it actually is on topic.  That’s my line and I’m sticking to it, lol

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just to be clear. I was saying people who suggested Bo Ryan's teams didn't have highly rated talent didn't pay attention to recruiting rankings. He's a good coach no doubt...but they had plenty of talent. In some years because none of their players ever left early (seemed like) they had more talent than most. 

Gotcha....it didn't seem like he had a lot of 5 star athletes or talent there. Maybe a couple here and there. I guess I should have looked more closely to the rankings. I just felt like he had a lot of good strong players...very fundamentally coached a team with mostly 4 star players and maybe there was a couple studs here and there. Mimicking what they were doing would be fine with me. Good call I should have looked.

50 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This whole discussion has really been about whether TJD is a “can’t-miss” recruit, so it actually is on topic.  That’s my line and I’m sticking to it, lol

Agreed...and I perhaps started steering this away...to get it back...I think TJD's performance in the peach jam has fully entrenched him in the 5 star camp. He really lit it up against Vernon Carey a top 5 big in his class. https://www.insidethehall.com/2018/07/16/july-evaluation-period-rewind-jackson-davis-goes-for-24-and-18-in-final-peach-jam-game/

Apologies I don't know if there are certain websites that are frowned upon being linked to. Hope this one is ok.

Archived