Trayce Jackson-Davis

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

With the FBI and NCAA looking, i doubt Carton was a dirty recruitment.  i don't see why he chose OSU over UM or IU but i don't think it was dirty. 

You could very well be right, it’s impossible to know.  But with the way everything has played out with the FBI and NCAA, I’m skeptical that coaches have changed the way they operate very much.  And going off of what we know about the recruitments of Bowen, De Sousa, etc., etc., money is usually involved with the “surprise” commitments, which Carton’s very much was.

But to get the thread back on topic... I think TJD should be asking for at least $150k 😂

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hope we aren't the type of fans that would make a claim about improprieties without a shred of evidence. These kids deserve a little more respect than that. If we lose TJD I would be crushed but I'm not going down the cynical rabbit hole with everything. No doubt things happen but if all we got is we are better and he should come here then well that's a pretty flimsy argument.

42 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

🤷🏻‍♂️ As we’ve seen, commitments that “come out of nowhere” usually come from somewhere.

Edit - I’m also not griping — good on Holtmann for landing the kid.  Just acknowledging the way the recruiting game is played.

According to a poster on the Iowa board, they said that the OSU actually lead for the last several months.

11 minutes ago, BDB said:

According to a poster on the Iowa board, they said that the OSU actually lead for the last several months.

And this was probably the truth because I'm sure these out of state recruits we don't have the same amount of behind the scenes info since we aren't hearing what his family and school mates are saying being we don't have local sources. Thanks!

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You could very well be right, it’s impossible to know.  But with the way everything has played out with the FBI and NCAA, I’m skeptical that coaches have changed the way they operate very much.  And going off of what we know about the recruitments of Bowen, De Sousa, etc., etc., money is usually involved with the “surprise” commitments, which Carton’s very much was.

But to get the thread back on topic... I think TJD should be asking for at least $150k 😂

You say "surprise commitments", but was it really?  The only reason people are surprised is because there are recruiting analysts out there that have to feign being an insider and thus continually tell us what they "know" when in reality they know very little.  Unless you hear it out of a recruit's mouth, it is really just varying degrees of BS.  DJ never really said or did anything to tip his cap.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

You say "surprise commitments", but was it really?  The only reason people are surprised is because there are recruiting analysts out there that have to feign being an insider and thus continually tell us what they "know" when in reality they know very little.  Unless you hear it out of a recruit's mouth, it is really just varying degrees of BS.  DJ never really said or did anything to tip his cap.

It was.  The kid took OVs to UM and IU, and wasn’t even scheduled to take one to OSU until less than a week before he committed to them.  And Holtmann wasn’t even there for the whole visit.  Everyone was saying it was down to UM or IU, and yes, these guys do know what’s going on in these recruitments for the most part.  Just ask the government lawyers that included this statement in a federal indictment regarding Silvio De Sousa:

“On August 30, 2017, in what media reports called a ‘surprise’ decision, the student-athlete announced he would not attend the school sponsored by the rival apparel company but would instead enroll at the University of Kansas.”

I realize I’m pretty much the only person here who feels this way, and of course we’ll likely never have proof.  But with everything that’s come out about recruiting in college basketball, I think you really have to be sticking your head in the sand to assume money isn’t changing hands in these types of situations.

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It was.  The kid took OVs to UM and IU, and wasn’t even scheduled to take one to OSU until less than a week before he committed to them.  And Holtmann wasn’t even there for the whole visit.  Everyone was saying it was down to UM or IU, and yes, these guys do know what’s going on in these recruitments for the most part.  Just ask the government lawyers that included this statement in a federal indictment regarding Silvio De Sousa:

“On August 30, 2017, in what media reports called a ‘surprise’ decision, the student-athlete announced he would not attend the school sponsored by the rival apparel company but would instead enroll at the University of Kansas.”

I realize I’m pretty much the only person here who feels this way, and of course we’ll likely never have proof.  But with everything that’s come out about recruiting in college basketball, I think you really have to be sticking your head in the sand to assume money isn’t changing hands in these types of situations.

Carton had taken a two-day unofficial to OSU before the IU and UM officials.  In hindsight what happened was that he had already leaned towards OSU at that point, and then he went to IU and UM.  After taking those he went to OSU to confirm what he thought he knew.  That's part of the reason why Holtmann was comfortable being down at Peach Jam.  He knew it was a confirmatory visit.  The recruiting analysts were clueless.

52 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Carton had taken a two-day unofficial to OSU before the IU and UM officials.  In hindsight what happened was that he had already leaned towards OSU at that point, and then he went to IU and UM.  After taking those he went to OSU to confirm what he thought he knew.  That's part of the reason why Holtmann was comfortable being down at Peach Jam.  He knew it was a confirmatory visit.  The recruiting analysts were clueless.

Fair, your explanation is just as plausible as mine.  All we can do is speculate.

3 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Ohio State is a football school :/

Ohio State is good at a lot of things. They also finished higher than both IU and Michigan in the BIG last year. They are a real player in the basketball landscape. They had an opportunity to play right away and the kid fit. The kid had already visited there before and liked the kids and fit in with the team. We just couldn’t change his mind. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

3 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Ohio State is a football school :/

I think it all came down to playing time.  OSU can guarantee Carton a starting spot.  IU and UM could not.  It's why I'm not quite as optimistic on landing Keion Brooks as others.  Still think we're probably a slight favorite but not the absolute lock it should be.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ohio State is good at a lot of things. They also finished higher than both IU and Michigan in the BIG last year. They are a real player in the basketball landscape. They had an opportunity to play right away and the kid fit. The kid had already visited there before and liked the kids and fit in with the team. We just couldn’t change his mind. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

This.

We are going to lose a ton of recruits to schools many a fan of our program would deem as “football schools” or “mid majors” or whatever your favorite way of subjectively classifying programs not up to snuff might be. The sheer numbers bear this out. We are gonna get our share, and if we don’t get them all at the outset of CAM’s career, it’ll pick up with more success on the national stage.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think it all came down to playing time.  OSU can guarantee Carton a starting spot.  IU and UM could not.  It's why I'm not quite as optimistic on landing Keion Brooks as others.  Still think we're probably a slight favorite but not the absolute lock it should be.

Yes...we have a lot of good young wings. It’s why UK worries me because they turn over the roster every year so there is always playing time for kids. That said if we missed him it wouldn’t bother me as much as a couple other guys.

6 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

This.

We are going to lose a ton of recruits to schools many a fan of our program would deem as “football schools” or “mid majors” or whatever your favorite way of subjectively classifying programs not up to snuff might be. The sheer numbers bear this out. We are gonna get our share, and if we don’t get them all at the outset of CAM’s career, it’ll pick up with more success on the national stage.

Well said. It’s kinda funny how we end up with a coach from a smaller school in Ohio to coach at IU and Ohio State with a coach at a smaller school in Indiana to coach there. In the end I think the draw of IU to Indiana will keep our kids home while Archie will be able to lure Ohio kids here then more then we see the opposite. I take Hunter as an example. We’ve historically gotten Ohio kids...I think we are in a stronger position in the long run....Holtman just won this battle..but we will win the war.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well said. It’s kinda funny how we end up with a coach from a smaller school in Ohio to coach at IU and Ohio State with a coach at a smaller school in Indiana to coach there. In the end I think the draw of IU to Indiana will keep our kids home while Archie will be able to lure Ohio kids here then more then we see the opposite. I take Hunter as an example. We’ve historically gotten Ohio kids...I think we are in a stronger position in the long run....Holtman just won this battle..but we will win the war.

IU is going to have to get back to winning on the national stage. Not just up one year and down the next, consistently.

Once we do that, the recruiting will take care of itself.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

IU is going to have to get back to winning on the national stage. Not just up one year and down the next, consistently.

Once we do that, the recruiting will take care of itself.

Don’t think so. You can turn a program around instantly. Cal did it twice. Holtman seems to be doing it.

16 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I was late getting back to the board i have been off of it for a while.  In trying to catch up i was skimming through this post back when everyone was giving Holtman crap for going to Peach Jam and not prioritizing DJ. At that time i had heard OSU believed they were very close to the committment and the selling point was i am going out to land another 5 star for u to play with. OSU had been been in driverss seat for long time.

10 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Don’t think so. You can turn a program around instantly. Cal did it twice. Holtman seems to be doing it.

Did Cal not win consistently and quickly on both occasions? 

Holtmann had a great first year at OSU last year.

That is to say, when Cal took over, he never had a downswing like we experienced twice under Crean. 

Holtmann inherited a 17-15 mess from Matta and took them into the round of 32.

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

Did Cal not win consistently and quickly on both occasions? 

Holtmann had a great first year at OSU last year.

That is to say, when Cal took over, he never had a downswing like we experienced twice under Crean. 

Holtmann inherited a 17-15 mess from Matta and took them into the round of 32.

Do not underestimate the roles of the Assistant Coaches on his staff. strong ties in the Midwest and one that was on Coach K's bench for several years and is very very close to RMK!!

37 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yeah OSUs cupboard wasn't exactly bare compared to the mess FCTC left us in, just sayin'.....

OSU was picked toward the bottom of the league in almost every preseason prediction last year... They were in basically the same boat as we were.  Exceeding those expectations is one more thing Holtmann has going in his favor.

17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

OSU was picked toward the bottom of the league in almost every preseason prediction last year... They were in basically the same boat as we were.  Exceeding those expectations is one more thing Holtmann has going in his favor.

They had a much more complete roster than us.  And the transition from Matta to Holtmanns system is extremely small compared to that of Crean and Archie.

Archived