Trayce Jackson-Davis

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Combined with Race, Forrester, Moore and Davis sure! Combine with Smith, Hunter, and KBJ...that’s a very athletic front court. I would worry about our ability to stretch the defense but we haven’t had a front court duo like that since what...Funderburke and Henderson??

Well if Stewart comes I’m sure Moore won’t be apart of that equation unless he just jumps on the scene and contributes heavily this year

36 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If Justin is an NBA 1st rounder then go for it.  It's extremely unlikely IMO.

Not sure he is a first rounder but I imagine he would go if he was a 2nd rounder. He has NBA athleticism and if he takes that next step with his game he will have an opportunity. I don’t expect it...but I could see it.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not sure he is a first rounder but I imagine he would go if he was a 2nd rounder. He has NBA athleticism and if he takes that next step with his game he will have an opportunity. I don’t expect it...but I could see it.

Why in the world would he leave if he is a second round pick.  That would be stupid to leave before you are ready and take  a chance that you don't get drafted at all.  These kids need to take a step back and think before they make decisions to go pro early because you shouldn't give up you eligibility to play in the G-League.  You should wait to go until you know you can contribute in the NBA and not just the first chance to get drafted.

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why in the world would he leave if he is a second round pick.  That would be stupid to leave before you are ready and take  a chance that you don't get drafted at all.  These kids need to take a step back and think before they make decisions to go pro early because you shouldn't give up you eligibility to play in the G-League.  You should wait to go until you know you can contribute in the NBA and not just the first chance to get drafted.

So if a kid comes from a family struggling to make ends meet wants to leave to earn 7k/month in the G-League (and potentially much more if he gets called up) or play overseas to earn very good money in most cases, he shouldn't give up his eligibility?

Kirk Haston going pro early may have cost IU a NCAA title and he never really contributed in the NBA, just took his 1st chance to get drafted. While it sucks for IU fans, how can you blame him? I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of I have the winning numbers for the lottery, so I'm going to buy my ticket now, not wait a year and see if they still work.

6 minutes ago, cybergates said:

So if a kid comes from a family struggling to make ends meet wants to leave to earn 7k/month in the G-League (and potentially much more if he gets called up) or play overseas to earn very good money in most cases, he shouldn't give up his eligibility?

Kirk Haston going pro early may have cost IU a NCAA title and he never really contributed in the NBA, just took his 1st chance to get drafted. While it sucks for IU fans, how can you blame him? I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of I have the winning numbers for the lottery, so I'm going to buy my ticket now, not wait a year and see if they still work.

Cyber...you know that you can't reason with Scott.  He's committed to a singular view of how things should be.  :)))

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

Combined with Race, Forrester, Moore and Davis sure! Combine with Smith, Hunter, and KBJ...that’s a very athletic front court. I would worry about our ability to stretch the defense but we haven’t had a front court duo like that since what...Funderburke and Henderson??

Ummmm.....Henderson and Funderburke never played together.  But I would say Tolbert and Turner in answer to your question about a duo.

40 minutes ago, rico said:

Ummmm.....Henderson and Funderburke never played together.  But I would say Tolbert and Turner in answer to your question about a duo.

Good call....I just remember he only played a few games for us before transfering... then I remember Alan going up against him. He played with Matt Nover and Eric Anderson...which would have given us a pretty formidable front line for sure. I just remember we started off like 10-0 until it all fell apart. Guess I'm showing my age. Don't know why I thought the two played together. Good call on T&T!

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

It just depends what you really want, do you just want money or do you want to be a contributor or a great player in the NBA. 

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Good call....I just remember he only played a few games for us before transfering... then I remember Alan going up against him. He played with Matt Nover and Eric Anderson...which would have given us a pretty formidable front line for sure. I just remember we started off like 10-0 until it all fell apart. Guess I'm showing my age. Don't know why I thought the two played together. Good call on T&T!

Henderson was two year younger than the Funderburke class

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Cyber...you know that you can't reason with Scott.  He's committed to a singular view of how things should be.  :)))

I just think it is better for the kids long term well being by staying in college than going to the G- league or over seas.  They might be alright on the court but there is way more to that decision than can they play on the court.  Are they mature enough to be on their own with some money in their pocket with no one watching over them.  to me college teaches them more than just basketball but how to be a well rounded person as well.

16 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Oh man. That was my youth. Serious nostalgia kicking in. Picturing Odle kicking Bogans. 

Random note here...my buddy ran into Leech (think it was Charlotte?) and he runs a food truck. UK fan and he sent me a text saying is this Leech?!! While ago but thought it was pretty cool.

Yep Big George does have a food truck.  Actually he has 2 now serving Charlotte.  Plus he has a sit down place in Pineville, NC. Oooweee BBQ.  And it's really good.

https://www.eatoooweebbq.com/

Super nice guy.  He's catered for the Charlotte alumni club before.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

So here is a good question. Not taking into account what Romeo's commitment meant for future recruits etc....just basketball talent goes....which class would everyone consider stronger?

2018-Romeo, Phinesee, Anderson, Hunter, and Forrester

*2019-Stewart, TJD, KBJ, and Franklin

*Theoretically

I know the 2018 is a bigger class but man those are heck of classes to line up back to back if that really happens! Some really good kids Archie is on.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It just depends what you really want, do you just want money or do you want to be a contributor or a great player in the NBA. 

What's your definition of contributor?  And a great player?  Can't those be decided by the individual?  Aren't those subjective...like opinions?  Can't you have both the money and be a contributor...a great player without spending three/four years in college?

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So here is a good question. Not taking into account what Romeo's commitment meant for future recruits etc....just basketball talent goes....which class would everyone consider stronger?

*Theoretically

I know the 2018 is a bigger class but man those are heck of classes to line up back to back if that really happens! Some really good kids Archie is on.

Fun topic to debate. I'll still go with 2018 and only for this reason. Romeo's recruitment has and will continue to open the doors for the best this state has to offer for years to come with this staff. I cannot state it enough....Romeo saying yes to us is/was that big. 

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

*Theoretically

Depends what happens. If we win it all in 2020. Then 2020s. If we win it all in 2022 after those studs have left but we have 5 seniors from 2018. Then 2018 obviously. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Fun topic to debate. I'll still go with 2018 and only for this reason. Romeo's recruitment has and will continue to open the doors for the best this state has to offer for years to come with this staff. I cannot state it enough....Romeo saying yes to us is/was that big. 

I think 2018 is because I don't think we end up with Stewart but basketball wise goes 2019 would be pretty elite with those three 5* guys. I do agree with you about the Romeo effect though....no doubt he broke open the flood gates for Archie!

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

*Theoretically

Interesting discussion. IMO the wildcard is Phinisee. There are some among the fanbase that feel he was incredibly underrated by the recruiting services. If that comes to fruition then it really elevates the 2018 even higher. 

25 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

So......  Before this thread gets off the rails, what's the latest on TJD? Still a lock for IU??

Nothing is ever a lock.  Employing the "Jeffries rule".  But from what I am getting.... still looking very good.  It was like it was not at all comfortable with his Iowa visit.  Just going through the motions.  Ever been on the Iowa campus ?  I have.  And not to slight them.... there are many other campus's I would rather be visiting.  

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

What's your definition of contributor?  And a great player?  Can't those be decided by the individual?  Aren't those subjective...like opinions?  Can't you have both the money and be a contributor...a great player without spending three/four years in college?

I am just saying if you are not guaranteed to be drafted I just don't see why kids would leave playing college basketball to play in the G-League.  You might have a different opinion and that is just great but I just see things differently than you.  I am different because I wouldn't have left early for the NBA until I graduated because the NBA is not going anywhere and if you are good enough it shouldn't matter when you enter the league.  I think it is better for the college game as well as the NBA game when players come into the league ready to play at a high level and not be a project for a couple of years.  I would not want my son to enter the draft unless he was guarantee to be a top 10 pick and if not go back and enjoy your college time.

Archived