Trayce Jackson-Davis

Just now, btownqb said:

Either way... you can call yourself realistic, you're actually just the most negative poster I've ever witnessed online. But I'm a sunshine pumper(eyeroll). 

I'm done. Back to TJD. 

As I said before when the prediction comes true it’s called being correct

And if a guy who literally won nothing oversaw the best 4 years in IU baseball history then that’s sad. He never even played in the championship game for the Big Ten. He never came close to winning the conference and he never made it past the first round. 

He was less accomplished than Mike Davis

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

Why no trust for Glass? He didn’t hire Crean. He made the tough decision of firing him one year removed from B10 title (despite it being clearly the right decision). Then made a great hire with Archie. And Tom Allen too. 

Just don’t understand the animosity for Freddy. 

I kind of misspoke. Dislike is the better word. I thought that arrogant press conference where he implied that money wasn’t an issue amplified expectations for Donovan...then you had the stress and pressure of the Alford possibility with his we’re looking at all Indiana guys (I strongly did not want an Indiana guy) . I thought he could have gotten rid of Crean way earlier and he gave him that extension when it wasn’t warranted in my eyes. I just don’t like him. Personal opinion but I’m not stressing or complaining..Archie was my #3 after Sean and Billy. In retrospect I’d have Archie 1.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Either way... you can call yourself realistic, you're actually just the most negative poster I've ever witnessed online. But I'm a sunshine pumper(eyeroll). 

I'm done. Back to TJD. 

I'm glad your done, good debate until the name calling. Not sure why you called yourself a sunshine pumper.

23 hours ago, rico said:

Actually it was 3 FF's in a row......Howland didn't get fired for his lack of success, but rather what was going on behind the scenes.

And Lavin was fired before Howland for going to 6 consecutive Sweet 16's. Agree with others, I think Alford is out after this year.

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

And Lavin was fired before Howland for going to 6 consecutive Sweet 16's. Agree with others, I think Alford is out after this year.

Yes he was, after his first losing season.........I don't know if Stevie is gone after this year, but it appears that it is imminent.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Yes he was, after his first losing season.........I don't know if Stevie is gone after this year, but it appears that it is imminent.

I didn't hear about the behind the scenes stuff with Howland....regardless their standards are pretty high (as it should be for the premier WC basketball program) and Steve hasn't delivered on expectations that is for sure.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I didn't hear about the behind the scenes stuff with Howland....regardless their standards are pretty high and Steve hasn't delivered on expectations that is for sure.

This from Wiki..............

In February 2012, a Sports Illustrated article portrayed UCLA player Reeves Nelson as a bully on and off the court, who at times intentionally tried to injure his teammates. The article stated that Howland looked the other way and did not discipline Nelson for over two years. Both UCLA and Howland disputed the story, some as untrue and others as beyond the knowledge of the program.[7][8] From 2008—the Bruins last Final Four appearance—through 2012, at least 11 players left the UCLA program,[9] including Nelson who was suspended twice and dismissed in December 2011. After 2008, UCLA did not advance past the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, and did not qualify for the tournament in 2010 and 2012.[10]In 2009, Howland pulled a scholarship offer to Kendall Williams, who had verbally committed to attend UCLA in 2010. Several Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) coaches in Southern California thought that Howland delayed notifying Williams to deter other Pac-12 Conference coaches from pursuing him. Wary of Howland, many AAU coaches began advising their top players against playing for the Bruins. After the 2010 recruiting class, Norman Powell was the only one of Howland's 10 recruits who were from Southern California.[11]

On March 25, 2013, Howland was fired by UCLA.[12][13] In his 10 years with the Bruins, he had a .685 winning percentage, went to three consecutive Final Fours, and won four Pac-12 conference titles.[14]

4 minutes ago, rico said:

In February 2012, a Sports Illustrated article portrayed UCLA player Reeves Nelson as a bully on and off the court, who at times intentionally tried to injure his teammates. The article stated that Howland looked the other way and did not discipline Nelson for over two years. Both UCLA and Howland disputed the story, some as untrue and others as beyond the knowledge of the program.[7][8] From 2008—the Bruins last Final Four appearance—through 2012, at least 11 players left the UCLA program,[9] including Nelson who was suspended twice and dismissed in December 2011. After 2008, UCLA did not advance past the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, and did not qualify for the tournament in 2010 and 2012.[10]In 2009, Howland pulled a scholarship offer to Kendall Williams, who had verbally committed to attend UCLA in 2010. Several Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) coaches in Southern California thought that Howland delayed notifying Williams to deter other Pac-12 Conference coaches from pursuing him. Wary of Howland, many AAU coaches began advising their top players against playing for the Bruins. After the 2010 recruiting class, Norman Powell was the only one of Howland's 10 recruits who were from Southern California.[11]

On March 25, 2013, Howland was fired by UCLA.[12][13] In his 10 years with the Bruins, he had a .685 winning percentage, went to three consecutive Final Fours, and won four Pac-12 conference titles.[14]

Those are definatley legit concerns for removing him. Despite that UCLA still gets most top flight recruits from California and out west...and Alford has had his share of great players...I don't think the boosters are going to let him have much more rope...he wasn't well liked pick to begin with. I think Steve has had more than ample time to put together a good run at a final 4 at minimum...I just think he would have more success working at a high mid major...where he can sell his name on the recruiting trails but wouldn't be exposed by better coaches. Of course the money wouldn't be the same and we know that can't be ignored. He should come back to the Midwest.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Those are definatley legit concerns for removing him. Despite that UCLA still gets most top flight recruits from California and out west...and Alford has had his share of great players...I don't think the boosters are going to let him have much more rope...he wasn't well liked pick to begin with. I think Steve has had more than ample time to put together a good run at a final 4 at minimum...I just think he would have more success working at a high mid major...where he can sell his name on the recruiting trails but wouldn't be exposed by better coaches. Of course the money wouldn't be the same and we know that can't be ignored. He should come back to the Midwest.

Which school would take him in the Midwest?  Louisville and Xavier passed.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

I think Matt Carlino (former IU recruit with helicopter dad) was one of the players bullied by Reeves Nelson.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

Always though he would do well at Ball State or Evansville.

I don't think Alford would consider coaching at that level. I assume he would take a lower "power 5" job than something like this. I'm not saying you're not right, I just don't think his ego would allow him to take a jobs like this. If he saw himself as a good fit at UCLA when nobody else did, then his ego and wallet are the driving forces behind his decisions. 

8 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I don't think Alford would consider coaching at that level. I assume he would take a lower "power 5" job than something like this. I'm not saying you're not right, I just don't think his ego would allow him to take a jobs like this. If he saw himself as a good fit at UCLA when nobody else did, then his ego and wallet are the driving forces behind his decisions. 

I think you are right.  I don't think he will do well at a lower power 5 job.  Look at what he did at Iowa ignoring all the Pierce stuff.  He just didn't produce enough.  

I think a school like UNLV, New Mexico (which would probably hire him again), etc. would be his best choice.  Someone with a little bit of history.  Ball State and them are for a coach that can make a run every once in awhile but not a job that a coach can keep for a very long time. 

2 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

I think you are right.  I don't think he will do well at a lower power 5 job.  Look at what he did at Iowa ignoring all the Pierce stuff.  He just didn't produce enough.  

I think a school like UNLV, New Mexico (which would probably hire him again), etc. would be his best choice.  Someone with a little bit of history.  Ball State and them are for a coach that can make a run every once in awhile but not a job that a coach can keep for a very long time. 

Hows about Butler?

9 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think he would do great at a school like Creighton, Wichita St., etc of that level...but I doubt he would go to a school in that tier and obviously they have good coaches already. Not sure what Power 5 school in the Midwest would be a good fit. At this point in his career not sure he has enough success and clout to get one of those jobs..Illinois?? Iowa St?? Hard to say...he should more likely end up at Illinois St. or SIU.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think he would do great at a school like Creighton, Wichita St., etc of that level...but I doubt he would go to a school in that tier and obviously they have good coaches already. Not sure what Power 5 school in the Midwest would be a good fit. At this point in his career not sure he has enough success and clout to get one of those jobs..Illinois?? Iowa St?? Hard to say...he should more likely end up at Illinois St. or SIU.

Actually Alford would be a great fit at Illinois.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

How so?

Name carries weight in Big Ten country, probably willing to get dirty with the Chicago recruits, average to slightly above-average coach that can win a couple games in the tourney if he gets the right pieces, probably not a threat to treat Illinois as a stepping stone job like they usually are.  He’d be miles better than anyone they’ve had since Weber.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Name carries weight in Big Ten country, probably willing to get dirty with the Chicago recruits, average to slightly above-average coach that can win a couple games in the tourney if he gets the right pieces, probably not a threat to treat Illinois as a stepping stone job like they usually are.  He’d be miles better than anyone they’ve had since Weber.

Understand, and appreciate the explanation.  And to be honest, IMO you are right.

Archived