Trayce Jackson-Davis

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember watching ESPN show called cold Pizza and Oden during his senior season was on there and they asked him if IU was a leader for him and he said yes.  I am thinking he just said that even if it was not true to appease the fans in Indiana.

Could have been before the Conley fiasco

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think the big telling sign on both TJD and Brooks is that Archie has essentially backed off of any legitimate back-up plans. Yes, we're still in with Watford, Stewart and Hurt, but those guys aren't back-up plans, they are guys you swing for the fences on if a spot opens late to add to your class. It's telling to me that as far as we know, IU is no longer really in it or pursuing anyone in the 50-150 range that would be back-ups if we lost Brooks and/or TJD. 

As it came clear that Franklin was going to commit, interest between IU and guys like Newman, Bouknight, Ramsey, etc. seemed to stop. 

The coaching staff must be really, really confident here. 

Definitely some logic behind this post... If you recall, Archie laid off on some of the SG prospects during the Romeo recruitment. I remember some questions when we didn't get Evan B or Ryan Taylor. 

I think have a backup plan is never a bad idea, but at some point during the process you'll have to evaluate the likelihood and make a call. 

9 minutes ago, rbkl said:

Definitely some logic behind this post... If you recall, Archie laid off on some of the SG prospects during the Romeo recruitment. I remember some questions when we didn't get Evan B or Ryan Taylor. 

I think have a backup plan is never a bad idea, but at some point during the process you'll have to evaluate the likelihood and make a call. 

I agree. The likelihood is 100% with TJD and 98% with KB. 

i need IUWINS to let us know who the new mystery recruit is. I am still hearing a lot of Morten reclassification talk

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. The likelihood is 100% with TJD and 98% with KB. 

i need IUWINS to let us know who the new mystery recruit is. I am still hearing a lot of Morten reclassification talk

If we take 4 do you know of any players who is unhappy because someone would have to leave to make room for a 4th.

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I guess it's how you look at it, but Sampson, as a coach, was top tier. That team when he went down was something like 24-4. Of course, academics had gone to crap, players were doing drugs, and he was engaging in his phone gate violations. Not saying any of that was ok, it wasn't, but in terms of coaching, he was very, very good.

I see it differently the negative things you mentioned are a coaches responsibility. Sampson was a good fundamentals coach as he proved at Oklahoma.  He proved some of his negative behavior there to. No coach is perfect but Sampson knew what was required of him when he took the job. He chose to look the other way when the players were no living up to expectations off the court. I think crean was the same with off court problems until his hand was forced. A good on the court record also must be accompanied by positive behavior by the players off the court too. I would give Sampson a D. Gordon could make alot of coaches look better than they really are.

11 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I see it differently the negative things you mentioned are a coaches responsibility. Sampson was a good fundamentals coach as he proved at Oklahoma.  He proved some of his negative behavior there to. No coach is perfect but Sampson knew what was required of him when he took the job. He chose to look the other way when the players were no living up to expectations off the court. I think crean was the same with off court problems until his hand was forced. A good on the court record also must be accompanied by positive behavior by the players off the court too. I would give Sampson a D. Gordon could make alot of coaches look better than they really are.

I am in no way shape or form a Sampson fan but the man can flat out coach

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am in no way shape or form a Sampson fan but the man can flat out coach

He definitely has knowledge of the game so does pitino. I am just saying a good coach needs to excel on the court and off the court. I realize the way things are today wins and loses are the priority. I guess I am idealistic because I look at the whole. I expect an excellent job in all of a coaches responsibility.  

21 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

You guys are playing a dangerous game with this 100% talk and Archie is a fool if we miss. He's playing a strong confident game but he's not infallible. I think we need to let everything play out before we deify Archie here. Same goes with criticism if this class doesn't go down as we like.

Definitely not the projection I'm trying to give off. I'm just connecting dots. Archie is definitely fallible, and the coaches he's going against for these two have great recruiting track records, if not much longer track records. 

I'm just saying that if he's not really, really confident on these two, like confident to the point where he thinks he has them, then what he's doing doesn't make much sense. 

15 minutes ago, Cutter said:

He definitely has knowledge of the game so does pitino. I am just saying a good coach needs to excel on the court and off the court. I realize the way things are today wins and loses are the priority. I guess I am idealistic because I look at the whole. I expect an excellent job in all of a coaches responsibility.  

Very good points.  Cant disagree with you. With that being said where would RMK fit as a coach 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very good points.  Cant disagree with you. With that being said where would RMK fit as a i 

Good question he seems to hit most check marks. But some of the things I have read and heard thinks he did not treat some of his players properly. Some love some hate him. So with that in question I would give him a solid B. Knights behavior was humorous to most of us that didn't have to deal with him daily. I went to alot of games when he was here and enjoyed them all. However the 8 to 10 times I ran across him at the driving range, third base lounge, and BNL field house he could have not been more rude and arrogant.

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Definitely not the projection I'm trying to give off. I'm just connecting dots. Archie is definitely fallible, and the coaches he's going against for these two have great recruiting track records, if not much longer track records. 

I'm just saying that if he's not really, really confident on these two, like confident to the point where he thinks he has them, then what he's doing doesn't make much sense. 

You’re a smart guy and I understand what you’re saying. The only point that I’m making is suggesting to stay away from absolutes.

100%. Archie is an idiot if this doesn’t work. etc etc 

Watford / hurt / Stewart were the backups for TJD so what he did makes sense to me. Frankly, I’d rather go big or not at all. So personally I don’t think it’s a mistake that he’s not out there half assedly recruiting some 3 star. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If we take 4 do you know of any players who is unhappy because someone would have to leave to make room for a 4th.

I know some people have been speculating Moore might transfer...but I'm actually thinking the most likely would be Green if he can't buy into the system and loses time to Al and Robert. I only say that because he is the most likely player I could see butting heads with Archie or to really get upset to sit behind younger guys....no support on any of that but I could see that door possibly opening up next spring if he doesn't work out this year.

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

You’re a smart guy and I understand what you’re saying. The only point that I’m making is suggesting to stay away from absolutes.

Watford / hurt / Stewart were the backups for TJD so what he did makes sense to me. Frankly, I’d rather go big or not at all. So personally I don’t think it’s a mistake that he’s not out there half assedly recruiting some 3 star. 

Mostly agree but Hurt and Stewart are not back up plans if either or both want to be a Hoosier we will find a spot.  That is an absolute. Otherwise i agree

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know some people have been speculating Moore might transfer...but I'm actually thinking the most likely would be Green if he can't buy into the system and loses time to Al and Robert. I only say that because he is the most likely player I could see butting heads with Archie or to really get upset to sit behind younger guys....no support on any of that but I could see that door possibly opening up next spring if he doesn't work out this year.

Thats a possibility and I see where you’re going with it, but if that’s true then our season probably won’t amount to much.

Can I say that our success rides on Green without saying it rides on green?

He reminds me of myself...I think he just needs to be surounded with good players to maximize his ability. It forces him to bring his game up. I think he’ll shine. That’s my read on him. It’s easy to let yourself stink when your team stinks.

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Mostly agree but Hurt and Stewart are not back up plans if either or both want to be a Hoosier we will find a spot.  That is an absolute. Otherwise i agree

Poorly worded. It was more of I’ll go hard for all three and surely one of the three come off. It absolutely should too. Arch knows what he’s doing. 

Brooks is the goofy one to me. I guess Watford was 1b. I suppose he was fine with what we had if neither of those came off?

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think the big telling sign on both TJD and Brooks is that Archie has essentially backed off of any legitimate back-up plans. Yes, we're still in with Watford, Stewart and Hurt, but those guys aren't back-up plans, they are guys you swing for the fences on if a spot opens late to add to your class. It's telling to me that as far as we know, IU is no longer really in it or pursuing anyone in the 50-150 range that would be back-ups if we lost Brooks and/or TJD. 

As it came clear that Franklin was going to commit, interest between IU and guys like Newman, Bouknight, Ramsey, etc. seemed to stop. 

The coaching staff must be really, really confident here. 

I'm not sure I agree with this line of reasoning. Let's say that Archie only knows what we actually know: Davis is down to 3 schools and Brooks 5 (I think?). If Archie thought our chances were no better and no worse than the other schools on those lists what should be be doing? Give a spot to some kid ranked 140 and not take the chance to get a 5 star? I think if I were in that position I would stay on guys like Stewart, Hurt and Watford as best I can, maybe have an eye on a couple of under the radar guys I might be able to sweep in on at the last minute, but mostly just go after the big time players and be okay with a small class if that doesn't work out. We have depth, so I don't see why this class needs a back up plan.

50 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Poorly worded. It was more of I’ll go hard for all three and surely one of the three come off. It absolutely should too. Arch knows what he’s doing. 

Brooks is the goofy one to me. I guess Watford was 1b. I suppose he was fine with what we had if neither of those came off?

Agree.

2 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

My off the wall mind at work, but I wonder based on some of Archie's comments about scholarships being gold if he doesn't have a completely original Plan B? I seriously doubt he would ever entertain the thought of a plan C like Crean was famous for, but what if he looks around at what might be available as plan B and the current makeup of the deep team and thinks if the absolute worst happens and none of the above commits, he doesn't just go with the "next man up" plan and bank the scholarships?

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

Thats a possibility and I see where you’re going with it, but if that’s true then our season probably won’t amount to much.

Can I say that our success rides on Green without saying it rides on green?

He reminds me of myself...I think he just needs to be surounded with good players to maximize his ability. It forces him to bring his game up. I think he’ll shine. That’s my read on him. It’s easy to let yourself stink when your team stinks.

I Agee 100 percent with this!

10 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My off the wall mind at work, but I wonder based on some of Archie's comments about scholarships being gold if he doesn't have a completely original Plan B? I seriously doubt he would ever entertain the thought of a plan C like Crean was famous for, but what if he looks around at what might be available as plan B and the current makeup of the deep team and thinks if the absolute worst happens and none of the above commits, he doesn't just go with the "next man up" plan and bank the scholarships?

I think you’re spot on. Archie doesn’t come off as an overly intelligent person but I think he’s a lot smarter than he appears. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

Archived