Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

milehiiu

Trayce Jackson-Davis

44 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Damn..  I forgot about cookies being soft.  I once posted Watford couldn’t jump over a Wheat Thin.   I forgot the transition Watford made. Good point!

There are SO many examples. Just stop and think about the past 10-15 years let alone decades. So many of the top players we’ve had at IU started slow.

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

There are SO many examples. Just stop and think about the past 10-15 years let alone decades. So many of the top players we’ve had at IU started slow.

Coverdale comes to mind...you are right the 3 and 4 stars may not blossom till junior or senior year.  The kids are talented.  

14 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Landon Turner was the poster child for this. His first year or so he could barely catch the ball

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Landon Turner was the poster child for this. His first year or so he could barely catch the ball

Yes, as I remember it even CRK had given up on him.  Then, he had a good game off the bench and things just started clicking for him which helped lead to our dominating run to the 1981 NCAA title.

15 hours ago, Threedom said:

Coverdale comes to mind...you are right the 3 and 4 stars may not blossom till junior or senior year.  The kids are talented.  

Brain Evans, Oladipo, Jeff Newton, Dane Fife was a five star prospect but started slow, Kyle Hornsby was nothing special as a frost at all and became a big time contributer later, who was the big man from a Tennessee HS who hit the game winner against Michigan State? He wasn’t good at all as a frosh and became a STUD. How about Will Sheehey? He didn’t get out of the gates fast.

i could go ON AND on, the point is TONS of guys heralded or not start slow and become HUGE parts of winning teams and even grow from being not even a good college player to making it to the NBA.

there is ZERO reason to get bent out of shape about a solid recruit not being all that great in their first two years. What’s important is getting kids who are fairly athletic and want to keep working on their games. 

Im also not understanding why some coaches today want length over qualities that are just huge to become a great player. I’d rather have a player with a high Basketball IQ and can shoot the lights out over a player who has great length and athleticism but is as sharp as a bowling ball and can’t shoot worth a lick. I wish we’d always have 1-2 classic great shooting smart Indiana kids on our team at all times. Guys like Coverdale and Hulls are critical.

15 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

And how many slow starters did we have that we didn't even know about because they had to play on the Freshman Team?

Just now, Drroogh said:

And how many slow starters did we have that we didn't even know about because they had to play on the Freshman Team?

Cough, cough, I’m not that old. 🧐😈

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Really a sad state of affairs that he even felt the need to say this 

Agree.

TJD playing Franklin tonight and right now it's tied at 25 with just over a minute left.  Not the most exciting game (clearly) but TJD has 21 of CG's 25 points.  Hoping they can pull it out and he can keep playing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

TJD playing Franklin tonight and right now it's tied at 25 with just over a minute left.  Not the most exciting game (clearly) but TJD has 21 of CG's 25 points.  Hoping they can pull it out and he can keep playing.

Just saw on Twitter the game is headed to overtime.  25-all - yikes!

11 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Yep!  CG just won in overtime 29-28.  Trayce finished with 25 points and some good defense from what I could tell on my fuzzy stream.  Moving on to Seymour next weekend!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 3/2/2019 at 7:50 PM, MrsStoller said:

That is terrible. I think Indiana will have to go to a shot clock eventually for HS. I’m assuming there was a lot of 4 corners and holding the ball. Maybe 45 second clock. Kids should be able to get a quality look by that time...and if not then I can’t imagine kids that bad can hold onto the ball for 45 seconds without turning it over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Wait...... So a game goes in to OT and they score 29 points?

How does that happen?

I believe Franklin stalled all game long. 

• Sad 1