Trayce Jackson-Davis

15 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I think you’re spot on. Archie doesn’t come off as an overly intelligent person but I think he’s a lot smarter than he appears. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

He does I'm sure.  We absolutely need TJD though after losing Morgan and Fitz.  Brooks is a more of a luxury than a need.  We already have Smith, Hunter and Anderson.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Archie is basketball smart, and that’s the only smart we need him to be.  If TJD isn’t a Hoosier, someone paid him a ton of money.....same goes for Brooks.

Alford may be willing to do just that.  Go over to the UCLA board.  He's clearly on the ropes.  

16 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Archie is basketball smart, and that’s the only smart we need him to be.  If TJD isn’t a Hoosier, someone paid him a ton of money.....same goes for Brooks.

Archie also needs to be people smart, and I think he is. He needs to be able to read/connect with recruits, parents and coaches... something the previous regime wasn't always successful with. 

If CAM can communicate the basketball stuff, and do it in a way that doesn't talk down to his audience, then he will have his share of success 

59 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Archie also needs to be people smart, and I think he is. He needs to be able to read/connect with recruits, parents and coaches... something the previous regime wasn't always successful with. 

If CAM can communicate the basketball stuff, and do it in a way that doesn't talk down to his audience, then he will have his share of success 

That’s part of being basketball smart as a college coach

3 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm not sure I agree with this line of reasoning. Let's say that Archie only knows what we actually know: Davis is down to 3 schools and Brooks 5 (I think?). If Archie thought our chances were no better and no worse than the other schools on those lists what should be be doing? Give a spot to some kid ranked 140 and not take the chance to get a 5 star? I think if I were in that position I would stay on guys like Stewart, Hurt and Watford as best I can, maybe have an eye on a couple of under the radar guys I might be able to sweep in on at the last minute, but mostly just go after the big time players and be okay with a small class if that doesn't work out. We have depth, so I don't see why this class needs a back up plan.

Especially in the age of grad transfers. I would think Archie would much rather save a spot, or even 2, for a grad transfer than throw a scholarship at a kid ranked 150. To me that is plan B if you can't fill a class with kids that are 4+ stars.

14 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I think you’re spot on. Archie doesn’t come off as an overly intelligent person but I think he’s a lot smarter than he appears. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

Don't you think that is a little harsh about him not appearing that intelligent.  How do you know he is not intelligent and have you talked to him to see how intelligent he is?

14 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

In terms of basketball smart...I think Archie comes off sounding very intelligent. His comments are always on point. I'll let others debate whether being smart is defined by who can recite dates in history or some algorithm that less than .01% of the world would use or understand. 

I have no idea how intelligent Archie is in terms of grades/schooling and granted he had some advantages coming from a coaching family, but I think anyone that has been able to get to the top of their field (Indiana is one of the top 5-10 jobs in the entire industry) and turn their passion into a successful multi-million dollar per year career has to be pretty smart. That typically doesn't happen by accident. 

19 hours ago, Cutter said:

I see it differently the negative things you mentioned are a coaches responsibility. Sampson was a good fundamentals coach as he proved at Oklahoma.  He proved some of his negative behavior there to. No coach is perfect but Sampson knew what was required of him when he took the job. He chose to look the other way when the players were no living up to expectations off the court. I think crean was the same with off court problems until his hand was forced. A good on the court record also must be accompanied by positive behavior by the players off the court too. I would give Sampson a D. Gordon could make alot of coaches look better than they really are.

Realize the Sampson discussion was yesterday, but here is my $0.02.

Sampson is a really good in-game basketball coach. I think if he had not cheated and taken his time to build a team like Archie is doing, he would still be our coach today. I think he wanted to win big right away at IU to get people to forget about his sins at Oklahoma. In order to do win big right away, he took players with questionable character and misused the cell phone again and it wound up burning him.

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I have no idea how intelligent Archie is in terms of grades/schooling and granted he had some advantages coming from a coaching family, but I think anyone that has been able to get to the top of their field (Indiana is one of the top 5-10 jobs in the entire industry) and turn their passion into a successful multi-million dollar per year career has to be pretty smart. That typically doesn't happen by accident. 

I was about to post something along these lines...there are different kinds of "smart". The best kind of smart is one that translates into success. He's obviously very successful in his chosen profession.

I think any man that can speak with conviction sounds intelligent and Archie does just that. He has a great basketball mind, so who cares about his IQ? Not me. Not in the slightest. We didn’t hire him to oversee the student body academically. We hired him to bring our Hoosiers back to the top of the college basketball world!!

20 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Peegs put in a CB pick for TJD to IU this morning

Who is this Peegs person, of which you speak ?   LOL

WOW !

Even though is it hidden for us mere mortals.... not hard to figure out since 100% of the predictions are for Indiana. 

Archived