Purdue post game

Indykev

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I was at the game.  Fans were great and I feel like the team had energy.  Great defensive effort.  Other random thoughts:

Edwards travels or carried the ball every play, his carry is so pronounced it’s jist wow

i have no idea why when Harms came back in with 6 minutes left they didn’t go right at him.  Davis should have been in there pounding at Harms and drawing that fifth foul.  They went at him once and Juan dribbled the ball out of bounds.  I think Davis would have drawn that fifth foul had be gotten a chance to.

I have never seen a team missed so many bunnies, especially one player in particular.  It’s almost an art to miss that many bunnies.

I told my wife IU should have stole that friendly rim from Breslin after the win there.  The only game the rim has been kind all year.

I had no problem with the shot at the end.  Juan could have cemented his legacy at IU with that.  Romeo could have helped making that free throw but both those missed opportunities are the story of this season.

McRoberts looks so much better.  He played a solid game in my mind was best to let him sit and heal similar to what they did with Davis.

Watching Hunter stand there during warmups you can tell he wants to play so bad.  I feel for that kid.

I wouldn't say the crowd was great because the chant towards Harms was embarrassing.  I dislike Harms as much as anyone but there is no need to chant FU at him where all of the national TV audience can here it.

9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really hate this terrible weave sh**. It’s the same offensive style that made Crean teams look so lost in the half court. 

Why is it so hard to run a real offense?

You can ask the same thing with a lot of teams in college basketball because offense is dreadful in college basketball.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't say the crowd was great because the chant towards Harms was embarrassing.  I dislike Harms as much as anyone but there is no need to chant FU at him where all of the national TV audience can here it.

https://amp.indystar.com/amp/2914522002

But yet no mention of Haarms yelling “f@@@ this school” on national television in front of the cameras. I don’t condone the behaviors of the fans but let’s not act like Haarms is a class act himself.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't sleep much. Sick to my stomach about the ending, no call,etc....eventually Archie is going to either have to get a T or work these officials more. Bo Boroski might actually be one of the worst officials in Big 10 history for plenty of teams and yet Archie sits there no big deal. Eventually enough is enough.

Regarding game. If Morgan hits one of the 85 3 footers he missed. We win. Edwards is who I thought he was. Not a very good shooter at all. Good luck to him in Slovakia. 

We were 7-27 from the paint so just hit 13 which is still not a good percentage form the paint we win plus the terrible call on DD 3 point play that should of counted.

7 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

But yet no mention of Haarms yelling “f@@@ this school” on national television in front of the cameras. I don’t condone the behaviors of the fans but let’s not act like Haarms is a class act himself.

Never said he was but wouldn't you say something back if you heard that all night especially after making the winning play.

12 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Do you blame him after what the fans chanted at him all game?  It's not like he just did it out of the blue.  In most cases, I wouldn't condone what he said but after last night, I'm completely fine with what he said.  The fans chanted it all night.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The definite 3 point play by DD in the first half that did not count

agree with that.  But the refs missed a pretty obvious charge on Romeo when they called it a block.  Almost the same play happened earlier when Romeo was guarding Eastern and they called a charge on Eastern instead of a block on Romeo.

I have one wish for IU basketball and that would be able to have one year where there is no drama off the court and everything on the court runs smoothly. A season where we are healthy and can actually see if this team can improve over the season.  Love one year where our fan base was not at each others throat after every game.  I can't remember the last season here where everything went just right and where we did not have all of these problems.  I am not just talking about wins or losses either but where there was just no drama.

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

agree with that.  But the refs missed a pretty obvious charge on Romeo when they called it a block.  Almost the same play happened earlier when Romeo was guarding Eastern and they called a charge on Eastern instead of a block on Romeo.

Well they got that back late in the game when he was called for a charge when it was definite that Eifert was not set on the base line.

11 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

I think this might be the unluckiest IU team I've ever watched.

Honestly, against Iowa, the last Bohannon three was just GARBAGE, and it sealed the game.

Ohio State hits a well-defended dagger.

Cline falls down and his three bounces up and over into the hoop, and then Morgan finds the only slick spot on the floor.

Four of the last five games, IU hasn't actually played poorly, but it just seems like anytime there's a pass that hits an IU player in the head, for example, it bounces right to Ryan Cline as he's running toward the basket.  I really can't comprehend the number of unlucky bounces I've watched the ball take this year.  

Unluckiest team I've ever watched...

I was thinking the same thing watching the game. Add to that the unusual amount of injuries. What an unlucky team/season. Kenpom even has us ranked 305th in luck (out of 353 teams), which is defined as winning percentage between a team’s actual record and their expected record using the correlated gaussian method.

Of course, luck doesn't explain away all of the issues of this team and even if they were lucky instead of unlucky, I'm not sure how much better this season would have gone. Jerome Hunter and Race Thompson being out all/most of the season is the unlucky thing that I would be most interested to know how things would have turned out differently had they been healthy/playing all year. Obviously, I'll never know.

I don't know how Romeo doesn't take a shot in the second half. Amazes me that a future NBA lottery pick doesn't dominate the ball/game more.

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don't remember the block call, but  the charge on Eastern was the right call. He leaned in to initiate contact and extended his arm. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Do you blame him after what the fans chanted at him all game?  It's not like he just did it out of the blue.  In most cases, I wouldn't condone what he said but after last night, I'm completely fine with what he said.  The fans chanted it all night.

Actually yeah I do. I think you can have things chanted at you and still at the end of the game not yell that obscene phrase in front of the cameras. It's not like it's a hard thing to control. I also don't think you have to do shoddy journalism that acts like Haarms celebrated with hugs, high fives and orange slices after the game like Doyel did. You can tell the whole story.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

This team has just forgotten how to win.

I also think this team forgot that basketball is fun and should be played like it is.  It just looks like this team just don't enjoy playing and act like they have the load of the world on their shoulders.  Having watched 100's of games this year most teams play with a joy and enthusiasm that this team don't play with.  They played hard and with emotion last night but they still don't act like they enjoy being out there competing to win and try to pick up the other players.

11 hours ago, Bob said:

We hold Purdue to 48 points and lose at home. We suffered thought Crean who couldn’t coach defense. The guestion is can Archie coach offense, because we don’t have one. 

Amazing isn't it.

Looked at Dayton prior to Archie and they were ranked 137 on O and 77 on D. Archie turned that into 29 on O and 160 on D his 1st season there. 108 improvement on O and 83 drop in D.

So it looks like he's a good O coach and bad D coach from that, but...

IU prior to Archie was ranked 27 on O and 104 on D. Archie turned that into 92 on O and 65 on D last year/his 1st season here. 65 drop in O and 39 improvement on D.

So its looks like he's a bad O coach and a good D coach from that, so...

Currently ranked 104 on O and 28 on D, making another drop of 12 on O and 37 improvement on D.

What to make of all this? Beats me, but his offense seemed to work at Dayton with the previous coaches players and dropped of in subsequent years, and his defense got better. Here his offense has yet to work and the defense improvement was/is outstanding. 

Here's hoping that his offense works with better shooters and/or he's willing to change his approach if the current players don't fit.

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Dude, can you just disappear for a few days.  Your intentions may be to talk basketball but I don't really give a fig about how Haarms was treated.  From where I sit he was playing dirty and chippy for most of the game and the crowd reacted to that.

Your team won, why don't you give your salt rubbing a break for a few days.

Archived