Purdue post game

Indykev

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

All i seen was about 5 missed lay ups,not game ball worthy 

Yeah, I know.  But the guy has been taking a ton of heat from HSN members in recent days.  And despite all of that, I did see some good as the game came to a close.

For instance with:

3:35 left on the clock..... a defensive rebound

2:43 left on the clock....Made layup.. Morgan assist

2:20 left on the clock... Defensive rebound.

In a series of games where guys were getting grief from fans for not being tough enough.... at crunch time Smith was coming up with critical rebounds, and one layup.

26 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

2. For those complaining about the refs...you're right, they were horrible. Their worst work Was the first two fouls on Rob, which completely changed the game. Rob is going to be an absolute monster. He will be a better version of Carsen Edwards. 

The defense played between the two teams was not the same. It wasn't close.

7. Carsen Edwards had 9 points. He was defended by our 3-star freshman, 3-star sophomore and a walk-on. We tried really hard to take away what he does. We did it. Purdue tried really hard to take Romeo away. They did, and Romeo still outplayed Carsen. 

Agree with everything you said that I deleted for space sake.  

Carsen Edwards must have known the scouts where in the building and choked.  His athleticism is next level.  Rob isn't there yet, don't need to pump the brakes, just let off the gas.  

Purdue's double team of Juwan and DD is what kept them in the game the first half.  Purdue also never guarded McBob or Justin Smith which allows them to do those things you spoke of Romeo, so some credit is due.  Our defense was spectacular, hopefully it's back because I believe this team can win the B1G tourney.  

Who is our 3 star freshman that guarded Edwards?  Either way Al was by far and away the most valuable player yesterday on the defensive end.  

32 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

1. I feel bad for some of you. No one is happy with a loss. No one is happy with moral victories. But man, some of you have your mind so made up, you can't even watch and appreciate what's actually happening.

2. For those complaining about the refs...you're right, they were horrible. Their worst work Was the first two fouls on Rob, which completely changed the game. Rob is going to be an absolute monster. He will be a better version of Carsen Edwards

3. For those complaining about Archie with the refs...he is on them the whole game. He says things that should get him T'd up. He's always in their ear...and he's not whispering sweet nothings, trust me. I sit close enough to sometimes hear and definitely read his lips. By the way some of you reacted to the game, you would have complained if Archie did get a technical because it gave them free throws

4. There was a STARK difference in our abysmal shooting performance and theirs...I can recall 3 open shots for Purdue. Our defense was ridiculous. We had SEVERAL wide open shots. Some of you act like Archie was the one shooting the ball. Love Juwan, but he shot 7 wide open 3's and passed up about 6 others. He made 1. The defense played between the two teams was not the same. It wasn't close.

5. I don't like the offense/weave, but it was not why we lost. Inability to hit shots at the rim and wide open threes...that's why we lost. That's not a coaching/offensive philosophy issue. 

6. Do people not understand that opponents try really, really hard to prevent Romeo from doing what he wants? They darn near triple team him when he gets the ball. There is never a time that there's not help defense on him, plus a third guy underneath him to push him further from the basket. 

7. Carsen Edwards had 9 points. He was defended by our 3-star freshman, 3-star sophomore and a walk-on. We tried really hard to take away what he does. We did it. Purdue tried really hard to take Romeo away. They did, and Romeo still outplayed Carsen. 

Bold statement there.  They aren't even similar players though so it's a tough comparison.  I think Rob will be good but better than Carsen?  I think it's a bit early to make that statement. 

Archie’s offense with weave hand-off worked in a mid major conference .  Will it work in the Big Ten?  I do not like a team that has to grind out every win. To me have a good spread offense with plenty of movement. Value the dang ball and feed the post.

Defense is important, but can be accomplished with effort and toughness. Anyone that gets recruited to play in this league should be able to play good defense as long as they can move their feet.

The teams that make it to the final four can flat out score the ball. Not this 50s and 60s win on a last defensive stop crap. Final score in the big boy games is usually 70s and 80s all day long and that’s with good defense being played. I would like to see an IU team built equally on both sides of the floor. 

Sorry for the rant. 😔

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Bold statement there.  They aren't even similar players though so it's a tough comparison.  I think Rob will be good but better than Carsen?  I think it's a bit early to make that statement. 

I agree with a lot he said, but that’s definitely a stretch. Carson is a special player. Rob is nowhere near that right now, concussion or not.

27 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah, I know.  But the guy has been taking a ton of heat from HSN members in recent days.  And despite all of that, I did see some good as the game came to a close.

For instance with:

3:35 left on the clock..... a defensive rebound

2:43 left on the clock....Made layup.. Morgan assist

2:20 left on the clock... Defensive rebound.

In a series of games where guys were getting grief from fans for not being tough enough.... at crunch time Smith was coming up with critical rebounds, and one layup.

Cant argue with that but on the Edward's drive right down Broadway our most gifted athlete allowed Carson to lay it in over him as he backed away to avoid contact. Either hammer the guy and make him earn them or send it in the 10th row. In a 1 min span we saw both sides of JS and that is what is frustrating to me 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Cant argue with that but on the Edward's drive right down Broadway our most gifted athlete allowed Carson to lay it in over him as he backed away to avoid contact. Either hammer the guy and make him earn them or send it 8n the 10th row. In a 1 min span we saw most sides of JS and that is what is frustrating to me 

Yep. I don't know what JS's plan was there, but he ended up doing nothing, and that was a big bucket for Purdue. 

36 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Thanks for the info.

During the game, the incessant Duke vs UNC commercials/promos got me thinking along these same lines. I used to think IU/PU was right there with Duke/UNC as the top rivalry in college basketball when Knight and Keady were there, since they've been gone I was thinking that the teams haven't been good at the same time so the rivalry isn't considered great nationally.

Yep. There were a couple of crossover years where both teams were close. To me in hoops Duke/Carolina is the best but yes...I wish it wasn't jammed down my throat by the folks in Bristol. Oh well. 

27 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

1. I feel bad for some of you. No one is happy with a loss. No one is happy with moral victories. But man, some of you have your mind so made up, you can't even watch and appreciate what's actually happening.

2. For those complaining about the refs...you're right, they were horrible. Their worst work Was the first two fouls on Rob, which completely changed the game. Rob is going to be an absolute monster. He will be a better version of Carsen Edwards. 

3. For those complaining about Archie with the refs...he is on them the whole game. He says things that should get him T'd up. He's always in their ear...and he's not whispering sweet nothings, trust me. I sit close enough to sometimes hear and definitely read his lips. By the way some of you reacted to the game, you would have complained if Archie did get a technical because it gave them free throws

4. There was a STARK difference in our abysmal shooting performance and theirs...I can recall 3 open shots for Purdue. Our defense was ridiculous. We had SEVERAL wide open shots. Some of you act like Archie was the one shooting the ball. Love Juwan, but he shot 7 wide open 3's and passed up about 6 others. He made 1. The defense played between the two teams was not the same. It wasn't close.

5. I don't like the offense/weave, but it was not why we lost. Inability to hit shots at the rim and wide open threes...that's why we lost. That's not a coaching/offensive philosophy issue. 

6. Do people not understand that opponents try really, really hard to prevent Romeo from doing what he wants? They darn near triple team him when he gets the ball. There is never a time that there's not help defense on him, plus a third guy underneath him to push him further from the basket. 

Dilly Dilly.....cohete15! Spot on!

Last nights game felt different...We looked DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT then previous performances.

1. The team showed heart, grit and a sense of urgency.

2. Justin Smith and Devonte Green did not start and played very limited.....(appeared to have a positive effect on team dynamics)

That team on the floor last night looked like what Archie was looking for all season. Our defense was stifling. Why we lost,..... turnovers, missed free throws, missed bunnies. We had way, way more opportunities to score than Purdue. Archie had his team ready to play, including a magnitude of scoring opportunities. That's not on him, it's on the players.

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Carsen is like a pitbull out there. Very tough, very strong, fast and athletic. No doubt he is the best basketball player on the The court against maybe every team PU has played. Do I think Rob will avg 24 PPG? No, never. But I don't think he will ever take 24 shots in one game either. Rob is really impressive from a physical standpoint as a freshman. He's also quite talented from a skills perspective. Am I probably overzealous in my statement, yes, it's a bit early. But just wait, you will not enjoy playing against him for the next 3 years. 

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Agree with everything you said that I deleted for space sake.  

Carsen Edwards must have known the scouts where in the building and choked.  His athleticism is next level.  Rob isn't there yet, don't need to pump the brakes, just let off the gas.  

Purdue's double team of Juwan and DD is what kept them in the game the first half.  Purdue also never guarded McBob or Justin Smith which allows them to do those things you spoke of Romeo, so some credit is due.  Our defense was spectacular, hopefully it's back because I believe this team can win the B1G tourney.  

Who is our 3 star freshman that guarded Edwards?  Either way Al was by far and away the most valuable player yesterday on the defensive end.  

I was under the impression that Rob was ranked outside the Top 100. Are we now giving 4-stars to guys who aren't even Top 100 in their class? I thought the 4-star line was drawn at like 90-100. 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Cant argue with that but on the Edward's drive right down Broadway our most gifted athlete allowed Carson to lay it in over him as he backed away to avoid contact. Either hammer the guy and make him earn them or send it in the 10th row. In a 1 min span we saw both sides of JS and that is what is frustrating to me 

He was there to take the charge instead he ran away from contact like normal.

No doubt the effort was there last night. Completely different team. Can’t say enough good things about it, especially Al and Romeo, but Al was a defensive juggernaut. 

Archie has them ready to play and as has been stated, make even 2 or 3 of those layups or open 3 looks and we win. 

My only real knock on Archie was not using that 6th foul we had to give on Edwards as he began his drive near the free throw line on that last play. At least make them have to inbound and get a chance for the steal and if not, it makes them shoot something out of rhythm. We should have used that 6th foul, my only real gripe 

18 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I agree with a lot he said, but that’s definitely a stretch. Carson is a special player. Rob is nowhere near that right now, concussion or not.

Agreed.  And again, it's hard to compare them.  One is a true PG and the other is a SG.  They're not really that comparable as players.  I don't ever expect Rob to average 19 shots a game like Carsen is this year.

5 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I was under the impression that Rob was ranked outside the Top 100. Are we now giving 4-stars to guys who aren't even Top 100 in their class? I thought the 4-star line was drawn at like 90-100. 

I thought he jumped into the 70s but I quickly checked and he was around 130 comp and a 4 star.  Shrug, no big deal.  

He's going to be great, probably  not National player of the year conversation though.  

11 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Carsen is like a pitbull out there. Very tough, very strong, fast and athletic. No doubt he is the best basketball player on the The court against maybe every team PU has played. Do I think Rob will avg 24 PPG? No, never. But I don't think he will ever take 24 shots in one game either. Rob is really impressive from a physical standpoint as a freshman. He's also quite talented from a skills perspective. Am I probably overzealous in my statement, yes, it's a bit early. But just wait, you will not enjoy playing against him for the next 3 years. 

Oh, no doubt I won't enjoy playing against him.  For the record, I think Rob will be really good with the potential to be an All-Conference guy.  But Carsen is going to be an All-American for the second year in a row this year.  RP has a ways to go to be a 2-time All-American.

14 minutes ago, Indykev said:

He was there to take the charge instead he ran away from contact like normal.

Exactly.  If I had JS ability I would have jumped so high Mighty Mouse's nose would have been at my sack level. Instead run from contact. 

Our season in a nutshell Cline hits very tough clutch 3 hand in face falling away great bounce. We mise a wide open one. 

Archived