Purdue post game

Indykev

25 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

No doubt the effort was there last night. Completely different team. Can’t say enough good things about it, especially Al and Romeo, but Al was a defensive juggernaut. 

Archie has them ready to play and as has been stated, make even 2 or 3 of those layups or open 3 looks and we win. 

My only real knock on Archie was not using that 6th foul we had to give on Edwards as he began his drive near the free throw line on that last play. At least make them have to inbound and get a chance for the steal and if not, it makes them shoot something out of rhythm. We should have used that 6th foul, my only real gripe 

Very mixed feelings on that one. I was yelling foul since we had 1 to give but was afraid that BO would call a BS touch foul on us with little to no time left on clock. To allow PU to win it at the line ala Arkansas

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Do that, and ignore Dakich's commentary. The Romeo play could have gone either way, but there was no real extension from him. Eastern violently extended his arm. 

Not sure which Eastern play you are referencing but Fisch was ticked no T on Eastern when the double foul on Davis and mop top (being very nice today) was called

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Very mixed feelings on that one. I was yelling foul since we had 1 to give but was afraid that BO would call a BS touch foul on us with little to no time left on clock. To allow PU to win it at the line ala Arkansas

I hear ya, definitely a risk there but I felt like they’d been letting them play most of the game so thought we’d be ok, especially with only a few seconds left. I guess at some point you just have to trust your D to get the stop and not have to foul there but when I saw Edwards take off I knew something bad was gonna happen and if nothing else, I like making them have to get the ball inbounds one more time.  

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Do that, and ignore Dakich's commentary. The Romeo play could have gone either way, but there was no real extension from him. Eastern violently extended his arm. 

I've watched the Romeo/Eifert play over and over.  It's maddening.  You have to watch Eifert's left foot.  He was still dragging it to get set when the contact occurs.  The idea of a push off is moot because the ref that called it was behind the play.  He never could have seen it if he wanted to. 

IMO the benefit of the doubt has to go to the offense when you have guys artificially thrusting their way into a play like that.  That is exactly what happens in March, which is why Purdue's style doesn't translate.

12 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I hear ya, definitely a risk there but I felt like they’d been letting them play most of the game so thought we’d be ok, especially with only a few seconds left. I guess at some point you just have to trust your D to get the stop and not have to foul there but when I saw Edwards take off I knew something bad was gonna happen and if nothing else, I like making them have to get the ball inbounds one more time.  

OB.  plays under the basket with little time left give me bad flashbacks to our lose at Illinois when miscommunication led to a game winning dunk

I caught on Fox59 this morning during post game hand shakes, one of our staff, in suit, was on the phone.  I haven't been able to find the video at that angle again.  Can anyone help me out and figure out who it was?  

I think it was either Archie or Ostrom.  I know Archie shook Painters hand and all the clips I have been able to find don't show the rest, just idiot Harms.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah, I know.  But the guy has been taking a ton of heat from HSN members in recent days.  And despite all of that, I did see some good as the game came to a close.

For instance with:

3:35 left on the clock..... a defensive rebound

2:43 left on the clock....Made layup.. Morgan assist

2:20 left on the clock... Defensive rebound.

In a series of games where guys were getting grief from fans for not being tough enough.... at crunch time Smith was coming up with critical rebounds, and one layup.

He should do that every game,he let the smallest guy on the floor get a lay up at the most critical time....and I would all so like to know why he was laughing during the last time out,I would have been paying attention to the huddle.

31 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

OB.  plays under the basket with little time left give me bad flashbacks to our lose at Illinois when miscommunication led to a game winning dunk

Oh man, I remember that like it was yesterday. I was at Disney with the family and one of my kids was sick so I volunteered to stay back with him so I could watch that game. It ruined the rest of my night and next morning, which is saying a lot when you’re at the happiest place on earth. The blessing and curse of IUBB

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Oh, no doubt I won't enjoy playing against him.  For the record, I think Rob will be really good with the potential to be an All-Conference guy.  But Carsen is going to be an All-American for the second year in a row this year.  RP has a ways to go to be a 2-time All-American.

Carsen is a special player. Very talented. Don't get me wrong, he's a 1st team All-B1G, he's up there for B1G PoY. But...

Carsen is 6th in the country in FG attempts with 477 FGA, averaging 24.4 PPG. For comparison, Romeo averages 17.2 PPG and has taken 312 FGA. That's 165 less shots...more than half a seasons worth of shots. His Assist to Turnover ratio is about 1:1. 

So, how high is the Carsen Edwards bar set? Meh. 

(Sidenote for us Hoosier fans, Mike Davis's son, freshman at Detroit, leads the nation in FGA). 

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

1. I feel bad for some of you. No one is happy with a loss. No one is happy with moral victories. But man, some of you have your mind so made up, you can't even watch and appreciate what's actually happening.

2. For those complaining about the refs...you're right, they were horrible. Their worst work Was the first two fouls on Rob, which completely changed the game. Rob is going to be an absolute monster. He will be a better version of Carsen Edwards. 

3. For those complaining about Archie with the refs...he is on them the whole game. He says things that should get him T'd up. He's always in their ear...and he's not whispering sweet nothings, trust me. I sit close enough to sometimes hear and definitely read his lips. By the way some of you reacted to the game, you would have complained if Archie did get a technical because it gave them free throws

4. There was a STARK difference in our abysmal shooting performance and theirs...I can recall 3 open shots for Purdue. Our defense was ridiculous. We had SEVERAL wide open shots. Some of you act like Archie was the one shooting the ball. Love Juwan, but he shot 7 wide open 3's and passed up about 6 others. He made 1. The defense played between the two teams was not the same. It wasn't close.

5. I don't like the offense/weave, but it was not why we lost. Inability to hit shots at the rim and wide open threes...that's why we lost. That's not a coaching/offensive philosophy issue. 

6. Do people not understand that opponents try really, really hard to prevent Romeo from doing what he wants? They darn near triple team him when he gets the ball. There is never a time that there's not help defense on him, plus a third guy underneath him to push him further from the basket. 

7. Carsen Edwards had 9 points. He was defended by our 3-star freshman, 3-star sophomore and a walk-on. We tried really hard to take away what he does. We did it. Purdue tried really hard to take Romeo away. They did, and Romeo still outplayed Carsen. 

I'm not disagreeing but despite all that you said we still lost at home while scoring 46 points.  Also, where the heck was this effort over the past 6-7 weeks?

56 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I've watched the Romeo/Eifert play over and over.  It's maddening.  You have to watch Eifert's left foot.  He was still dragging it to get set when the contact occurs.  The idea of a push off is moot because the ref that called it was behind the play.  He never could have seen it if he wanted to. 

IMO the benefit of the doubt has to go to the offense when you have guys artificially thrusting their way into a play like that.  That is exactly what happens in March, which is why Purdue's style doesn't translate.

I was referencing a different play. The play I’m referencing a block was called on Purdue instead of a charge on Romeo. 

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I was referencing a different play. The play I’m referencing a block was called on Purdue instead of a charge on Romeo. 

I think I know the one you are referring to and RL arm does extend but I think it's on the way down to catch himself. The behind angle IIRC shows his right arm at side at the point of contact and as players separate right arm extends.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not sure which Eastern play you are referencing but Fisch was ticked no T on Eastern when the double foul on Davis and mop top (being very nice today) was called

The offensive foul. It was called correctly on the floor, Boiler is comparing that play to the block/charge play with Romeo where Dakich said he thought it was a charge outside of AH. 

1 hour ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I think this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations in terms of coaching. Edwards is an extremely crafty player and people would be going ballistic if Phinisee (I think that's who was defending) reached in to foul and Edwards drew him into a shooting foul (which certainly could have happened). 

The bottom line is that IU did exactly what they wanted on that play by forcing Edwards into a tough shot. They just didn't finish the play on the boards. 

Edit: I'd also guess that there isn't a single player on this roster that Archie trusts enough the execute a foul in that situation without somehow screwing it up. 

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Just to make your day worse...this angle is infuriating.  Haarms is manhandling Morgan who had perfect position.  Yeah, yeah, I know, they swallow the whistles in the final seconds.  Except that we lost a game at Arkansas because of a last second foul.

https://twitter.com/daily_hoosier/status/1098250693671112704

No doubt this swallowed whistle was costly. I thought Haarms was mugging/ grabbing our guys the whole game. To me, it looked like he hooked Davis when they got tangled up. 

The Good:  Tough D.  Played with intensity and determination

The Bad:  

1.  We lost holding a team under 50.  

2   We can't score above 50

3.  Having to give Cudo's to players actually playing with intensity and determination.  Maybe we hand out participation trophies.  Execution and effort should be an expectation not the exception!

4.  A coach that I thought would be tough,  seemingly treating this group with kid gloves.  These players need to grow a pair.  Learn how to HATE losing especially at home.

The Ugly:

No DRASTIC CHANGE as stated by CAM after Minny game.  

NO OFFENSE.  Poor movement.  Poor screening.  Too many TOs.  Is screening even taught and valued by this staff.

Legitimate Question:  Is CAM just the polar opposite of CTC.  All D no O vs All O and no D?  We need balance.  

At the end of the day, BB is about making a ball go thru a hoop.  Is CAM recruiting/developing SHOOTERS?  

I still won't judge CAM until he gets his players in place.  It's simply very ugly to watch right now.  I guess we won't know for 1-2yrs.  

Archived