Purdue post game

Indykev

There are two things I'd like to say about the offense:

1) it is clear that Archie decided to stick with his system even though that system isn't particularly ideal for this group...There have been Dayton fans on our board who have come on to comment that the same thing happened at Dayton...Archie took over a program that was good enough to lead to Brian Gregory being hired away...but when Archie took over he insisted on sticking to his system and it led to middling results the first two years 

2) Aspects of the offensive system are not really available with this group. First, cutting is completely mitigated by the fact that people sag off our wings and off our four man. That means all the reads on the weave are mitigated...the ball hand off is a read...should be a back cut or a ball hand off, but the back cut is not available. Case in point, that is what they were trying to set up on the last play...Morgan with the ball, Langford step up and then back cut. Eastern was too strong, big, and quick and the back cut didn't work...then Morgan lost the ball...

The ball hand off should also include an option to shoot (which is how Purdue got their most important shots for Cline down the stretch) but we have no one who can come off hard enough to be open enough to shoot well enough...

Post entries are incredibly hard because there are three defenders sagging into that passing lane...and the pick and roll, which is obviously important to the system is also negated by the fact that there are three defenders sagging in the lane...SHOOTERS ARE A MUST TO MAKE ANY SYSTEM WORK

3) Romeo is a great talent, but in a sense he is easy to guard. It's not just his inconsistency in shooting (although he has gotten some confidence back there) it is mostly that He is not a great ball handler and can only go right...This limits him in transition and in the half court (think of the transition where Eastern fell down and Romeo just had to beat Williams, he didn't get low enough and isn't strong enough, and what should have been two points or a trip to the line became a turnover) The Staff have tried to use his strengths but they are limited to him going one direction basically and then of course there are three defenders geared up to take away the lane....It is still possible to criticize the lack of a set including simple baseline screening (ala Kentucky and Duke, and in a more sophisticated way Purdue) but we are poor screeners and passers and so I think a set like that would not open much up for a guy that is not that big a threat to come off of screens and shoot...

and that brings us back to point number one...Archie decided to stick to his system.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

I think I hate Doyel out of any "Indiana" writer or broadcaster

https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/1098219975851077634

The idea that Haarms taught a lesson last night is pretty strange...The kid who had no control over his emotions and several times had to be calmed down by his team and was borderline dirty on at least one major play taught lessons? the kid that had four points until a blind tip that could have been called over the back taught lessons?

I get frustrated at how Breathy and Emotive Doyel is in his assessments...Everything is either the best ever or the worst ever...He had to apologize several times when he first came back to the Star for accosting people with his emotional takes and calling for Crean to be fired...

Guess he didn't learn...

28 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

I think I hate Doyel out of any "Indiana" writer or broadcaster

https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/1098219975851077634

Man, is this dumb. Haarms took himself out of the game with his inability to control his emotions, has proven himself to be an overly emotional mess on the court on a regular basis, and any fan base in the country would have gotten all over him in the same situation. Purdue did the same to Romeo, although with not as much vitriol. The guy ends up tipping in the winning bucket on a play that would have been a foul in the other 38 minutes of the game, and this is a lesson for IU? Yeah, that's a desperate attempt by a writer to draw clicks to a hot take.

1 hour ago, mchenry34 said:

The idea that Haarms taught a lesson last night is pretty strange...The kid who had no control over his emotions and several times had to be calmed down by his team and was borderline dirty on at least one major play taught lessons? the kid that had four points until a blind tip that could have been called over the back taught lessons?

I get frustrated at how Breathy and Emotive Doyel is in his assessments...Everything is either the best ever or the worst ever...He had to apologize several times when he first came back to the Star for accosting people with his emotional takes and calling for Crean to be fired...

Guess he didn't learn...

Kravitz and a couple other hysterical media types were all bent out of shape about the chant in the post game.  I could just see that these articles were coming.  I was sitting there thinking, really?  College kids dropping f-bombs?  This is news why???

5 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Kravitz and a couple other hysterical media types were all bent out of shape about the chant in the post game.  I could just see that these articles were coming.  I was sitting there thinking, really?  College kids dropping f-bombs?  This is news why???

Fred Glass sent out an email to the students about it. 

12 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Fred Glass sent out an email to the students about it. 

Yes, Glass sending that letter makes perfect sense.  That's his job.

But if you are a sports writer and you watch two teams in a rivalry game pump their heart souls into a great defensive effort and your game story is about college kids dropping f bombs, then you are either baiting for clicks or you just really don't understand what is going on.

12 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Yes, Glass sending that letter makes perfect sense.  That's his job.

But if you are a sports writer and you watch two teams in a rivalry game pump their heart souls into a great defensive effort and your game story is about college kids dropping f bombs, then you are either baiting for clicks or you just really don't understand what is going on.

Wonder why he sent it to the students. I heard it was a  group of old ladies that started it😀 

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Wonder why he sent it to the students. I heard it was a  group of old ladies that started it😀 

Dang it......my Aunt and her buddies were there again.  I have told them to quit drinking so much vodka before the game.....it falls on deaf ears!

Archived