The Bench...

cohete15

What was probably not seen on TV...

When Devonte was taken out of the game, he either ignored or argued back to the coaching staff. Throwing his arms up in the air while walking away from them. In a mocking way, after being quickly removed following another boneheaded play, he went down the bench jumping around trying to high 5 and chest bump everyone. Coach Schilling told him to sit down next to the coaches...Devonte did not. He was then retrieved by coach and walked down to where he was told to sit in the first place. 

Justin Smith continued in his ways. Ignoring staff, pouting...looking away from coach when talked to. Refused to walk down the bench and high five (like everyone does)...instead, when tossed his towel, he just threw it back. Seen sitting, and not clapping while the WHOLE bench was up celebrating a made three. 

Just some real "inside the hall" observations I made. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. All we saw on TV was was a quick cut to Devonte all animated and high fiving everyone down the line. Funny at the time that I thought that was good to see, that maybe he was trying to be a leader or whatever. Unfortunately, sounds like the full story is the opposite. 

11 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Interesting. All we saw on TV was was a quick cut to Devonte all animated and high fiving everyone down the line. Funny at the time that I thought that was good to see, that maybe he was trying to be a leader or whatever. Unfortunately, sounds like the full story is the opposite. 

Me too. Made me excited 

6 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

When Devonte was taken out of the game, he either ignored or argued back to the coaching staff. Throwing his arms up in the air while walking away from them. In a mocking way, after being quickly removed following another boneheaded play, he went down the bench jumping around trying to high 5 and chest bump everyone. Coach Schilling told him to sit down next to the coaches...Devonte did not. He was then retrieved by coach and walked down to where he was told to sit in the first place. 

Justin Smith continued in his ways. Ignoring staff, pouting...looking away from coach when talked to. Refused to walk down the bench and high five (like everyone does)...instead, when tossed his towel, he just threw it back. Seen sitting, and not clapping while the WHOLE bench was up celebrating a made three. 

I caught that on Devonte and went back and looked at it. Yes he did bark back at Archie and appeared to just be a smarta** going down the line high 5ing. Threw his towel on the floor as well. Dude is a cancer that needs cut out. Archie in his presser said something I caught when talking about J MO. He said J Mo wants to be coached and never questions the coaching staff. I'm guessing that was a shot at someone.

I caught on Fox59 this morning during post game hand shakes, one of our staff, in suit, was on the phone.  I haven't been able to find the video at that angle again.  Can anyone help me out and figure out who it was?  

I think it was either Archie or Ostrom.  I know Archie shook Painters hand and all the clips I have been able to find don't show the rest, just idiot Harms.  

41 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Yet, this coach continues to reward them with playing time.  Archie is soft and apparently afraid to make the drastic changes he alluded to...

12 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

You know it's been a terrible season when people are getting excited about an IU player high fiving a teammate in the midst of losing 11 out of 12. There is literally nothing to get excited about with this team, they are unwatchable.

I had to listen to a 5 min stretch on the radio and Fisch commented and it really stuck with me.  What a welcome sight an Indiana player on the floor after a loose ball. That should be the bare minimum

Then don’t dress them play the other kids. I bet Race, Jake,and cliff. Would give anything to get the opportunity Green and Smith have pissed away. They can’t blame the coach they are the ones playing. Green air balled his floater then his man got the easy rebound put back while he stood flat footed on the floor and watched. How many point blank shots did Smith miss. That’s not on Archie that’s them. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I know this is off topic.  But seeing as how you were at the game.  Were the Van Arsdale's honored at half time as promised ?  I don't recall hearing any mention of it on tv.

Yes they were. It was nice to see them. They got a big final ovation. 

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Then don’t dress them play the other kids. I bet Race, Jake,and cliff. Would give anything to get the opportunity Green and Smith have pissed away. They can’t blame the coach they are the ones playing. Green air balled his floater then his man got the easy rebound put back while he stood flat footed on the floor and watched. How many point blank shots did Smith miss. That’s not on Archie that’s them. 

Aren’t these Archie’ players?  Ones that he recruited and signed?  If so, then why doesn’t he play them?  Instead he plays guys that are considered Crean’s players....all I hear is that Archie needs more time to get his players and build a culture.  Well, while maybe not a full set, he does have players that he recruited that he refuses to give a chance.  I think we just need to call it like it is....right now, no matter whose players he has, Archie can’t beat anyone.  His offense stinks horribly, three point defense is atrocious, turnovers and missed free throws are the only consistencies I have seen in his teams, effort and intelligence are usually lacking and lastly, he is afraid to get in anyone’s grill or hold them accountable for any of the above.  He is IU’s version of John Groce....

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I know this is off topic.  But seeing as how you were at the game.  Were the Van Arsdale's honored at half time as promised ?  I don't recall hearing any mention of it on tv.

There was a brief moment after a commercial break that showed them next to their framed jerseys and a graphic with their names and years they played. Less than a min tho.

6 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Aren’t these Archie’ players?  Ones that he recruited and signed?  If so, then why doesn’t he play them?  Instead he plays guys that are considered Crean’s players....all I hear is that Archie needs more time to get his players and build a culture.  Well, while maybe not a full set, he does have players that he recruited that he refuses to give a chance.  I think we just need to call it like it is....right now, no matter whose players he has, Archie can’t beat anyone.  His offense stinks horribly, three point defense is atrocious, turnovers and missed free throws are the only consistencies I have seen in his teams, effort and intelligence are usually lacking and lastly, he is afraid to get in anyone’s grill or hold them accountable for any of the above.  He is IU’s version of John Groce....

My guess that he already knows what he has in the guys he recruited. What he doesn't know is what he's going to have coming back, and if it's going to be worth the effort to try to retain some of the holdover players, or if he's going to need to hit the recruiting trail to fill those holes as well. It's a perfect opportunity to find out what you have in the junior class, what sort of leadership is there, especially with this level of adversity. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I caught on Fox59 this morning during post game hand shakes, one of our staff, in suit, was on the phone.  I haven't been able to find the video at that angle again.  Can anyone help me out and figure out who it was?  

I think it was either Archie or Ostrom.  I know Archie shook Painters hand and all the clips I have been able to find don't show the rest, just idiot Harms.  

Think it was Keion calling Archie to say he's going to UK.......

54 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Here’s something funny to consider... Have we ever seen Archie rip into Green as hard as Crean did when he threw that alley oop at the end of the game against Rutgers?

I have no idea if it was as hard as when Crean did it, but this entire conversation is about Archie yanking Green after a dumb shot (air-balled floater) and then yelling at him as Green was coming to the bench. 

1 hour ago, CTrojan88 said:

Ha....okay.  Sorry for the honesty.  

You think that you're being "honest" by calling Archie soft and afraid? 

You watched yesterday's game and didn't see drastic changes? Sorry the drastic changes weren't the exact changes you wanted to see. You should call in to the radio show on Monday and let CAM know what he should do. You're mad because we lost and you thought he should have kicked Green and Smith off the team and played Johnny Jager and Blackmon. Got it. 

7 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

You think that you're being "honest" by calling Archie soft and afraid? 

You watched yesterday's game and didn't see drastic changes? Sorry the drastic changes weren't the exact changes you wanted to see. You should call in to the radio show on Monday and let CAM know what he should do. You're mad because we lost and you thought he should have kicked Green and Smith off the team and played Johnny Jager and Blackmon. Got it. 

I didn’t see any drastic changes.  Please tell me what you saw.  I did see a much improved effort on the defensive end, which I guess one could define as drastic. Other than that, I saw the same inept offense, same player rotation, same players riding the pine, and the same results.

3 hours ago, cohete15 said:

I wondered why Smith was laughing in the last timeout, game on the line and in a huddle, would have thought that would be a time to be serious, not joking around....thats not the first time Green has acted like a smart*** after getting taken out for his court antics. 

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

There was a brief moment after a commercial break that showed them next to their framed jerseys and a graphic with their names and years they played. Less than a min tho.

But no mention from Dak ?  You know, the cretin who has been complaining that IU does nothing for former players ? 

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

But no mention from Dak ?  You know, the cretin who has been complaining that IU does nothing for former players ? 

Doesn't fit his narrative...

He made a huge deal of the fact that Purdue showed some former players on the big screen at Mackey Last week...

IU features former players last night behind the bench, on their social media accounts, with a halftime ceremony and Dakich has nothing to say about it...He is a PR man who spins everything in the direction that suits his narrative and ignores the evidence that he is wrong.

Archived