The Bench...

cohete15

50 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

You think that you're being "honest" by calling Archie soft and afraid? 

You watched yesterday's game and didn't see drastic changes? Sorry the drastic changes weren't the exact changes you wanted to see. You should call in to the radio show on Monday and let CAM know what he should do. You're mad because we lost and you thought he should have kicked Green and Smith off the team and played Johnny Jager and Blackmon. Got it. 

In my honest opinion, yes, the way Archie coaches is soft.  As for drastic changes, no I didnt see any last night.  I did see better effort but that should be an expectation, not a change.  Everything else  was status quo, including the performance of the two guys you mentioned.  Lastly, I’m not mad, I sold my tickets for $150 each a few weeks back which made me happy....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Grief!!!....Some of the posters on this site are quickly becoming as aggressive and short fused as the "other" IU message boards. I get it, we all have our different views and takes on why this current basketball team is in such a mess.There is no sugar coating it. Archie is dealing with the hand that he was dealt. Most don't understand what has happened to this team since the beginning of a once promising season. The majority of the fans put full blame on Archie and little on the players. Some feel the blame is on both the players and Archie. I am one of the few that feel that the majority of the blame is solely on the players and players only. I feel this team has slowly been turned into full mutiny by just two players. IMO, it all started with Mr. Smith's cancerous tweets. Sure, Archie is not without fault just like any other coach. Romeo, Al, Juwan, Deron, Rob and a healthy Josh.........Those six "currently healthy" players are the best all around, high BB IQ, team players that he has.....period! All the other players on MY "bench" are missing some of these qualities and a few are missing them all.

So this leads me to HIS "bench"......Those six players are who he put in last night and got the majority of the minutes. We played like a different team with them and played like a worse team without some form of that combination. You do the math. So then why did he continue to sparingly put those 2 other players in?........He had no choice. I guarantee neither of them were going to get many minutes at all....You saw that by not starting either one of them. Ok, bench them the rest of the year like many want....It would please many of us, including myself, but that is not the answer either. At least, not Archie's answer. I think his answer to those two is a slow fade.................

I believe that some of the possible drastic changes in minutes distribution were hurt by two things...

1) Phinisee's foul trouble forced more minutes for green (who is our worst perimeter defender and worst offender of quitting when things don't go his way...His shot selection and turnovers the past two games are indicative of a guy who knew six weeks ago that he was going to transfer....The margin of error for this team was small to begin with and him checking out (aside from the MSU game, where he likely played hard to prove a point) put us on the negative side of that margin for error...

2) Purdue doubling the post and sagging so far off of Davis, then Purdue going somewhat small for a time necessitated more minutes for Smith (who contributed positively but made a few errors in costly moments in terms of momentum and lost scoring opportunities(...I think this is another clear example of a player who largely checked out on this season which has damaged the now negative margin for error for this team...

8 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

We get it, Dan.  You REALLLLLY want to be wanted and loved.  

Was the celebration of the 25th anniversary of 1992 Final Four team too recent? Or maybe Olidapo being recognized/honoroed

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2018/01/28/pacers-oladipo-welcomed-back-bloomington-iu-fans/1073292001/

4 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

5 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

I think that you're correct about part of his frustration. He wants the teams that he was part of to be honored...Though, the 93 final four team was honored recently and he was still the assistant?

44 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

In my honest opinion, yes, the way Archie coaches is soft.  As for drastic changes, no I didnt see any last night.  I did see better effort but that should be an expectation, not a change.  Everything else  was status quo, including the performance of the two guys you mentioned.  Lastly, I’m not mad, I sold my tickets for $150 each a few weeks back which made me happy....

You're right, it should be the expectation. Absolutely no one would ever disagree. It really had not happened for a full game in the last 12. Archie said it would change. It did... drastically. Again, you really have no idea how he coaches his players. Archie was not given the nickname Archie because he's a sweetheart. There is a reason he is not well-liked by Justin or Devonte. Why do you think that is? Because he hugs them and let's them cry and pout and make excuses....or because he doesn't tolerate some of their BS?

It's easy for the guy whose paycheck isn't dependent on wins and losses to say he would bench them and play the 11th and 12 guys on the bench. There's a difficult balance of discipline and giving guys opportunities to be coaches. There's a difficult balance of trying to win games and putting your foot down on (sadly) 2 of your 7 top Players

15 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

You're right, it should be the expectation. Absolutely no one would ever disagree. It really had not happened for a full game in the last 12. Archie said it would change. It did... drastically. Again, you really have no idea how he coaches his players. Archie was not given the nickname Archie because he's a sweetheart. There is a reason he is not well-liked by Justin or Devonte. Why do you think that is? Because he hugs them and let's them cry and pout and make excuses....or because he doesn't tolerate some of their BS?

It's easy for the guy whose paycheck isn't dependent on wins and losses to say he would bench them and play the 11th and 12 guys on the bench. There's a difficult balance of discipline and giving guys opportunities to be coaches. There's a difficult balance of trying to win games and putting your foot down on (sadly) 2 of your 7 top Players

Thanks for your opinion even though I respectfully disagree with it.  To me, if you have players that refuse to buy in and won’t listen to a word you say, playing them only makes the problem worse and potentially more widespread.....

48 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Just to play devils advocate, We are still losing and setting the tone. Is it better to lose doing what you believe in or lose giving in to the players? I know the answer you play who you think gives you the best chance at a Win. Just saying

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just to play devils advocate, We are still losing and setting the tone. Is it better to lose doing what you believe in or lose giving in to the players? I know the answer you play who you think gives you the best chance at a Win. Just saying

That's a no-brainer S! From one coach to another, you know as well as I do...any good coach will bite the bullet.   In the long run, it is better to lose doing what you believe in, even though We are still losing and setting the tone.

Dan Dakich has been criticizing IU for not bringing back former players. And then when IU  honors two of the greatest Hoosiers, of all time,  for the PU game on Tuesday night, Dak takes a shot at IU for honoring the twins, because they were before his time ?  I find that disgusting and disrespectful all at the same time.  Get a clue, Dak.  IU will never honor just you at half time, because you held Jordan in check for one game. Your one big claim to fame. ONE GAME, DAK !  ONE GAME !  IU does not honor cretins. 

And, oh by the way.  When you talk about younger players.  Why did you fail to mention anything about Landon Turner, O.G. or Thomas Byrant.... all of whom were in the crowd.

And thanks for the tweet link above.   I'm hanging up the phone !

16 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

That's a no-brainer S! From one coach to another, you know as well as I do...any good coach will bite the bullet.   In the long run, it is better to lose doing what you believe in, even though We are still losing and setting the tone.

Times  10000. He knows he has more time.  If he was coaching this year for his job, that will make you do crazy things.  Set the tone early

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Dan Dakich has been criticizing IU for not bringing back former players. And then when IU  honors two of the greatest Hoosiers, of all time,  for the PU game on Tuesday night, Dak takes a shot at IU for honoring the twins, because they were before his time ?  I find that disgusting and disrespectful all at the same time.  Get a clue, Dak.  IU will never honor just you at half time, because you held Jordan in check for one game. Your one big claim to fame. ONE GAME, DAK !  ONE GAME !  IU does not honor cretins. 

And, oh by the way.  When you talk about younger players.  Why did you fail to mention anything about Landon Turner, O.G. or Thomas Byrant.... all of whom were in the crowd.

He did briefly mention OG in a round-about way, when they cut away to him, TB, and JJ in the crowd. He said if OG didn't get hurt, Tom Crean would still be the coach at Indiana. Sounded like yet another shot at IU instead of a welcome-back to former players.

47 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I went fishing today...

12 hours ago, Indykev said:

I caught that on Devonte and went back and looked at it. Yes he did bark back at Archie and appeared to just be a smarta** going down the line high 5ing. Threw his towel on the floor as well. Dude is a cancer that needs cut out. Archie in his presser said something I caught when talking about J MO. He said J Mo wants to be coached and never questions the coaching staff. I'm guessing that was a shot at someone.

Then why is he playing ay all?  That's on Archie.

Archie catch’s a lot of grief from a lot of people. Calling him soft, questioning his ability to coach. His reality is he doesn’t have a lot of choices he can make. If Rob are Al get in foul trouble are need a rest Green is his only real choice. I had high hopes for Justin he has been a total bust! That’s all on him! I’ll leave it at that. Sorry daddy Smith not buying your kool aid. Jake and Cliff show promise ,but I don’t think they give us the best chance to win YET! I like there effort and energy but they get pushed around fairly easily. I love McRoberts, he just isn’t a scorer at this level. So what would you have him do really! We know this season over! He needs to meet with Green an Smith. Tell them thier attitudes are unacceptable. This is how it will be next year. Your either in or out choose. Then bring in some instant help.

4 hours ago, Bob said:

Archie catch’s a lot of grief from a lot of people. Calling him soft, questioning his ability to coach. His reality is he doesn’t have a lot of choices he can make. If Rob are Al get in foul trouble are need a rest Green is his only real choice. I had high hopes for Justin he has been a total bust! That’s all on him! I’ll leave it at that. Sorry daddy Smith not buying your kool aid. Jake and Cliff show promise ,but I don’t think they give us the best chance to win YET! I like there effort and energy but they get pushed around fairly easily. I love McRoberts, he just isn’t a scorer at this level. So what would you have him do really! We know this season over! He needs to meet with Green an Smith. Tell them thier attitudes are unacceptable. This is how it will be next year. Your either in or out choose. Then bring in some instant help.

This is the kind of mentality that drives me nuts.  Saying Green is our only option just ain't so.  We got other options to replace Smith as well.  That is on Archie.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

This is the kind of mentality that drives me nuts.  Saying Green is our only option just ain't so.  We got other options to replace Smith as well.  That is on Archie.

Well, it's kind of true. What other guard is there to spell our starters? Damezi has gotten a reasonable amount of playing time, and has simply proven that he's nowhere near ready - he was absolutely awful the last time he saw the court. Outside of that, you're really going to be reaching, and it's possible Archie just isn't seeing anything in practice worth putting on the court. 

10 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, it's kind of true. What other guard is there to spell our starters? Damezi has gotten a reasonable amount of playing time, and has simply proven that he's nowhere near ready - he was absolutely awful the last time he saw the court. Outside of that, you're really going to be reaching, and it's possible Archie just isn't seeing anything in practice worth putting on the court. 

Well what Archie is seeing in practice and what he puts on the floor come game day translates to exactly what?  Give me 10 minutes of Vijay.  Give me 10 minutes of Johnny.  Give me 10 minutes of Damezi.  Give me 10 minutes of Jake.  Give me 10 minutes of Race.  Give me 10 minutes of Cliff.  Don't give me 10 minutes+ of Green or Smith.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Well what Archie is seeing in practice and what he puts on the floor come game day translates to exactly what?  Give me 10 minutes of Vijay.  Give me 10 minutes of Johnny.  Give me 10 minutes of Damezi.  Give me 10 minutes of Jake.  Give me 10 minutes of Race.  Give me 10 minutes of Cliff.  Don't give me 10 minutes+ of Green or Smith.

Especially if he knows they are on the outs.  Time to play for next year.  #drasticchanges

Archived