The Bench...

cohete15

Another poster alluded to this, but I think the slow fade for Green/Smith is the strategy he's employing here. I don't think there's much you can dispute with the starting 5 we rolled with for Purdue, liked that lineup a lot. 

Green and Smith were starters not long ago and now they are becoming role players. I think there's something that needs to be said for that. The only thing that kind of bugged me is Race did not get any of Smiths minutes, but for Purdue game I can understand. I'll become increasingly frustrated if Race does not get solid run the rest of the way in. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, rico said:

This is the kind of mentality that drives me nuts.  Saying Green is our only option just ain't so.  We got other options to replace Smith as well.  That is on Archie.

For purposes of winning I disagree...you've got an unproven Damezi and walk ons.

Now on the level of respect, if what the op said is correct that is a HUGE red flag. I can understand the line of thinking if Archie needs to trot out walk ons to maintain team cohesion. Only Archie knows how bad/manageable that situation is though. 

21 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Good Grief!!!....Some of the posters on this site are quickly becoming as aggressive and short fused as the "other" IU message boards. I get it, we all have our different views and takes on why this current basketball team is in such a mess.There is no sugar coating it. Archie is dealing with the hand that he was dealt. Most don't understand what has happened to this team since the beginning of a once promising season. The majority of the fans put full blame on Archie and little on the players. Some feel the blame is on both the players and Archie. I am one of the few that feel that the majority of the blame is solely on the players and players only. I feel this team has slowly been turned into full mutiny by just two players. IMO, it all started with Mr. Smith's cancerous tweets. Sure, Archie is not without fault just like any other coach. Romeo, Al, Juwan, Deron, Rob and a healthy Josh.........Those six "currently healthy" players are the best all around, high BB IQ, team players that he has.....period! All the other players on MY "bench" are missing some of these qualities and a few are missing them all.

So this leads me to HIS "bench"......Those six players are who he put in last night and got the majority of the minutes. We played like a different team with them and played like a worse team without some form of that combination. You do the math. So then why did he continue to sparingly put those 2 other players in?........He had no choice. I guarantee neither of them were going to get many minutes at all....You saw that by not starting either one of them. Ok, bench them the rest of the year like many want....It would please many of us, including myself, but that is not the answer either. At least, not Archie's answer. I think his answer to those two is a slow fade.................

I completely agree.

25 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Another poster alluded to this, but I think the slow fade for Green/Smith is the strategy he's employing here. I don't think there's much you can dispute with the starting 5 we rolled with for Purdue, liked that lineup a lot. 

Green and Smith were starters not long ago and now they are becoming role players. I think there's something that needs to be said for that. The only thing that kind of bugged me is Race did not get any of Smiths minutes, but for Purdue game I can understand. I'll become increasingly frustrated if Race does not get solid run the rest of the way in. 

There isn’t much to dispute, considering the context.

19 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

For purposes of winning I disagree...you've got an unproven Damezi and walk ons.

Now on the level of respect, if what the op said is correct that is a HUGE red flag. I can understand the line of thinking if Archie needs to trot out walk ons to maintain team cohesion. Only Archie knows how bad/manageable that situation is though. 

Well, look at the record...it ain't good.  Winning?  OMG, the players in the rotation ain't working.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, look at the record...it ain't good.  Winning?  OMG, the players in the rotation ain't working.  

Agreed, it's frustrating. But one thing I do know is Vijay Blackmon won't be getting us over any winning humps. 

But like I said earlier, Archie must know he needs to be firm and careful not to ruin his culture for next year and beyond playing Green and Smith if they are punks. His job depends on that moving forward. Fine balance, managing people is no bargain.

47 minutes ago, rico said:

Well what Archie is seeing in practice and what he puts on the floor come game day translates to exactly what?  Give me 10 minutes of Vijay.  Give me 10 minutes of Johnny.  Give me 10 minutes of Damezi.  Give me 10 minutes of Jake.  Give me 10 minutes of Race.  Give me 10 minutes of Cliff.  Don't give me 10 minutes+ of Green or Smith.

Well, Damezi has already shown that he's not ready to contribute. It's possible that the others you mentioned are showing even less in practice. I mean, I don't have the answer, I'm just throwing out possible scenarios, but I'm pretty sure the answer isn't just that Archie has no idea what he's doing. I'd wager heavily that there's a means to an end with what he's doing with respect to playing time for certain players.

In the Romeo thread, someone posted a Bozich article where he was quoting an NBA scout about various prospects, including Romeo.

As well, this scout made mention that Romeo was playing with a roster of a G-League player, Juwan, and the rest who "would be subs on a good B!G team."

This was a non-solicited comment from an unbiased source. No reason for him to say this other to comment on what Romeo doesn't have to work with.

Through the eyes of someone whose profession is to evaluate talent, we get the cold smack in the face that says, we're just not very talented. 

To me, that says that CAM is playing and will play the kids he thinks are the best of what he has now. He is a competitor and wants to win. He's being paid to win games.

I would be more discouraged if he tanked the rest of the season .

5 hours ago, rico said:

This is the kind of mentality that drives me nuts.  Saying Green is our only option just ain't so.  We got other options to replace Smith as well.  That is on Archie.

Those options aren’t good yet.  Damezi hasn’t shown anything when he’s been in. 

Today my Dad told me some info I found illuminating if true. This something he heard from a part of my family that are IU alumni and big boosters for the university. He said when Archie got there he wanted to get rid of 6 players. Glass told him he couldn't because of the APR. I never realized it was that bad. 

Talking about playing guys for next year..imagine how bad Justin would be this year if he wouldn’t have gotten a jump start last year by getting some extended game action! There is a balance. The fans deserve the best team on the floor...but you also need to get guys like Race and Jake and Damezi more time to play against B1G level talent so the game will slow down a bit for them next year. 

If I’m Archie I’d pull a Knight and set green and smith for a full game. You wanna pout about then you can continue to sit there and go bye bye at end of the year or you can buy in and play. Put the ball in their court. I know that’s what Knight would do. 

This half in half out crap is not working obviously. Green an smith just laugh it off and know they will be put right back in. You have to stick to your guns if your Archie. You can’t put up with this bull crap because it’s became a cancer to the team. 

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

If I’m Archie I’d pull a Knight and set green and smith for a full game. You wanna pout about then you can continue to sit there and go bye bye at end of the year or you can buy in and play. Put the ball in their court. I know that’s what Knight would do. 

This is what bothers me.  Archie is putting up with bad play and daddy's texting with Justin and bad play, wacky weed, and lousy attitude from Devonte.  

Why are they still getting ANY minutes.  Guys like Race, Damezi, and Jake are going to have to contribute in future years.  Get them some PT now.

2 hours ago, HoosierMatty said:

Today my Dad told me some info I found illuminating if true. This something he heard from a part of my family that are IU alumni and big boosters for the university. He said when Archie got there he wanted to get rid of 6 players. Glass told him he couldn't because of the APR. I never realized it was that bad. 

Would've been nice to have at least ONE spot for McKinley Wright. Pretty short sighted to tie Archie's hands on roster construction when we didn't even make the tournament last year. 

If multiple reports of this are accurate,  very insightful and demonstrative of leadership incompetence within the athletic department and administration. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This is what bothers me.  Archie is putting up with bad play and daddy's texting with Justin and bad play, wacky weed, and lousy attitude from Devonte.  

Why are they still getting ANY minutes.  Guys like Race, Damezi, and Jake are going to have to contribute in future years.  Get them some PT now.

I don't like their attitudes either, but you don't give up on a season. 

6 hours ago, cohete15 said:

When your kids act up and you ground them from playing a sport they love are you giving up on that team or are you motivating them to do better?

IMO, giving up on the year was continuing to allow those 2 to play significant minutes (if all of this is true) while we were in the middle of losing 8 out of 9.  To me, the minute decline should have started earlier and if that did not work we would be at the flat out, you are not playing point by now.  And I do not want to hear that we had no one to go to.  IU fans are not stupid, if Green and Smith suddenly sit and have their minutes replaced by Moore, Thompson, and Anderson, we were going to know what was going on.  I would feel better if Miller was losing those games in an effort to retain control over the team than I felt losing them while letting a couple of the players dictate our play.  I do not think it is any coincidence that the hustle increased against Purdue as their minutes diminished.

7 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Would've been nice to have at least ONE spot for McKinley Wright. Pretty short sighted to tie Archie's hands on roster construction when we didn't even make the tournament last year. 

If multiple reports of this are accurate,  very insightful and demonstrative of leadership incompetence within the athletic department and administration. 

Exactly. Why didn't Glass ever say to Crean why are you recruiting like this? You're recruiting over people and offering people you have no business offering.  The APR is going to kill us.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

When your kids act up and you ground them from playing a sport they love are you giving up on that team or are you motivating them to do better?

IMO, giving up on the year was continuing to allow those 2 to play significant minutes (if all of this is true) while we were in the middle of losing 8 out of 9.  To me, the minute decline should have started earlier and if that did not work we would be at the flat out, you are not playing point by now.  And I do not want to hear that we had no one to go to.  IU fans are not stupid, if Green and Smith suddenly sit and have their minutes replaced by Moore, Thompson, and Anderson, we were going to know what was going on.  I would feel better if Miller was losing those games in an effort to retain control over the team than I felt losing them while letting a couple of the players dictate our play.  I do not think it is any coincidence that the hustle increased against Purdue as their minutes diminished.

Well, Race has been available for all of 2 games now. Moore, who I've been a proponent of for a while now, clearly has done something to land himself deeeeep on the bench...whether that be poor play/practice, attitude problem, lack of hustle in practice, rule breaking, whatever. I will be absolutely stunned if he is still here next year.  Damezi has seen the floor, and has done absolutely nothing with his minutes.

It's a slippery slope. You're basically picking the lesser of the 2 evils. Do you want to use the guys who you know will not help you and more than likely will hurt you because they aren't good enough yet....or do you want to use the guys who you know can help you, can also hurt you, even though you don't like their attitude? It's a pretty bad situation to be in. 

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

Well, Race has been available for all of 2 games now. Moore, who I've been a proponent of for a while now, clearly has done something to land himself deeeeep on the bench...whether that be poor play/practice, attitude problem, lack of hustle in practice, rule breaking, whatever. I will be absolutely stunned if he is still here next year.  Damezi has seen the floor, and has done absolutely nothing with his minutes.

It's a slippery slope. You're basically picking the lesser of the 2 evils. Do you want to use the guys who you know will not help you and more than likely will hurt you because they aren't good enough yet....or do you want to use the guys who you know can help you, can also hurt you, even though you don't like their attitude? It's a pretty bad situation to be in. 

I play guys who are not being cancers to the team and I am harder on guys who could or should be team leaders.

I would rather lose with Damezi making freshman mistakes if he has the right attitude than lose with Smith or Green and have their attitude infect the team.  At the very least the hustle appeared to pick up against Purdue when Green and Smith were on the bench.  I can live with trying and getting beat as long as the losses are to a greater good.  I can argue the greater good for Anderson and Moore getting playing time while not being ready.  I cannot argue for the greater good in continuing to give bad attitudes 30+ minutes a game.

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly! It’s really starting to bother me to. He should have zero tolerance for any “me first” mentality. Play for your teammates and the name on the jersey or sit down! This is freaking Indiana bout time to start acting like it Arch. I wouldn’t put up with any of that nonsense and I coach In a very successful  high school program that doesn’t. Everyone knows you play for your teammates, the community, and to win. If you don’t you have a seat and soon as there is any indication of that goin on it gets stopped very quickly! 

10 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Who would being giving up on a season?  Dang, they are losing with the status qua.  Seems to me the guys seeing major minutes have given up already.

14 hours ago, HoosierMatty said:

If he wanted to get rid of 6, then Al may have been in that number.  That would have been dropping someone that did not deserve it.  And for that matter, if Freddie was on that list as I have speculated below, he did not deserve it either.

Priller

McSwain

Green

Jones

Moore

Smith/Al/Newkirk

I can't see a scenario where Johnson, Morgan, DeRon or Hartman would have been among the 6.

Archived