Ways to make offense in college basketball better

IU Scott

Watching last nights game as well as a lot of other games I just have to ask, what has happen to offense in the game of college basketball.  I ask this board what do you think should be done to help the offensive game in college basketball.  wen you see teams having trouble scoring 60 points in a game then you have some serious problems.

1) I think they need to move the shot clock back to 5 seconds(know it won't happen but should).  30 seconds is just not enough time for college players to get a good shot on most possessions and can't run a real offense.

2) Coaches need to stop micro managing every possession and put some trust into their players.  If you are a good coach and teacher you should have them prepared from practice so they will know what to do in the game.  Like John Wooden said that coaches job is for practice and the players is to play in the game.

3) Stop with all the analytics telling you what is a efficient shot and what is not.  The best shot is the open and uncontested shots no matter where they come from and we need to go back to using the whole floor.  No more just shooting 3's and layups and go back to the mid range game.

4) Go with more player movement off the ball and set off the ball screens and have less pick and roll offense. Spread the floor with good spacing and move the ball with the pass and not the dribble.

If the NCAA is going to work more closely with the NBA and do away with the OAD rule, then college basketball should reinstitute the Freshman ineligible rule. 

Kids that don’t want to go to college can either go directly to the league or to the developmental league depending on their skill level. Kids who are serious about getting an education will get a year to acclimate to classes, being away from home, higher level of competition, etc. They can practice with the upperclassmen,  travel to away games, maybe even play a few games against other freshmen. A year to get stronger and just work on skills without the pressure of games. 

The quality of games would improve because older, more experienced kids would be playing them. Kids who have had a year to work on fundamentals and whatever weaknesses they have.

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If the NCAA is going to work more closely with the NBA and do away with the OAD rule, then college basketball should reinstitute the Freshman ineligible rule.

Don't know if it would work or not, but I'd just love to see the NBAs reaction to this if they just suddenly announced it.

I don’t know about offense but get rid of the hook and hold review and subsequent 5 min stoppage to review.

Id like to clean up contact at the rim. I know people keep promoting the verticality rule but I don’t like it inside the restricted zone. I also would like them to go to 4 quarters with 5 fouls to get 1 and 1 resetting each quarter and 6 fouls. Too often the best player gets in foul trouble and sits a whole half with two fouls for players.  I also believe in moving 3pt line out..it would create more spacing for driving (except for teams that can’t shoot like us).

Start calling the games tighter. College basketball, especially B10 basketball, is getting ridiculously physical. The NBA has been that way since the Detroit "Bad Boys" and I rarely watch a pro game on account of it.

At this point I know it's like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube, but it's difficult for anyone to make a basket while getting mugged.

Just now, IUFLA said:

Start calling the games tighter. College basketball, especially B10 basketball, is getting ridiculously physical. The NBA has been that way since the Detroit "Bad Boys" and I rarely watch a pro game on account of it.

At this point I know it's like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube, but it's difficult for anyone to make a basket while getting mugged.

Yes the banging on the drives and at the rim is too much..especially for players that aren’t physically strong enough to finish st the rim like pros.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes the banging on the drives and at the rim is too much..especially for players that aren’t physically strong enough to finish st the rim like pros.

Agreed. And re the Haarms tip in...I'd respect Boiler fans much more if they would just admit it was a foul and debate the merits (in the game as it is played and refereed today) of whether the foul should have been called at that juncture of the game. A lot more honest, to be sure.

I’m with you on #2 and #4. Not so much on the other two. I think a big issue is colleges are all going to this NBA style ball screen offense where it’s really putting the ball in guys hands to make plays, instead of sets to guys open shots. Issue is college players aren’t as good as NBA players, they don’t make tough shots like NBA players do. 

Gone are the days, for the most part, of off-ball screening offenses and true motion. It’s all dribble-drive and ball screens while everyone else stands around, which results in a lot of bad shots. I know people are not happy with IU’s offense, but a lot of teams do the same stuff. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Make a shot inside the arc worth 3 and outside the arc worth 2.  Dunks are worth 4.   Sbooting fouls result in free throws and the ball.  Shots made beyond half court automatically win the game.  Running the 3 man weave is a technical.  

I'm drinking.

I f***ing swear what am I gonna do with you.

P.S.  I am too.

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Kids that don’t want to go to college can either go directly to the league or to the developmental league depending on their skill level. Kids who are serious about getting an education will get a year to acclimate to classes, being away from home, higher level of competition, etc. They can practice with the upperclassmen,  travel to away games, maybe even play a few games against other freshmen. A year to get stronger and just work on skills without the pressure of games. 

The quality of games would improve because older, more experienced kids would be playing them. Kids who have had a year to work on fundamentals and whatever weaknesses they have.

Now that Sir, is one fine take.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the percentages would be for kids that don't go to college at all?

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I’m with you on #2 and #4. Not so much on the other two. I think a big issue is colleges are all going to this NBA style ball screen offense where it’s really putting the ball in guys hands to make plays, instead of sets to guys open shots. Issue is college players aren’t as good as NBA players, they don’t make tough shots like NBA players do. 

Gone are the days, for the most part, of off-ball screening offenses and true motion. It’s all dribble-drive and ball screens while everyone else stands around, which results in a lot of bad shots. I know people are not happy with IU’s offense, but a lot of teams do the same stuff. 

Other than any team that ever plays us it seems like....how often do you see a player running thru a never ending line of picks like Reggie Miller used to do.  Or better yet, teach kids how to set a pick, both guys, not just the screener.  Harden, Westbrook and Curry are where and who they are for a reason; those players don't come around that often, stop trying to shoehorn the Newkirks of the world into their mold.

And another thing!!!  I dont know what jack wagon saw the Harlem Globetroters impressive winning streak and thought the 25 second weave and a chuck and duck was a good offense, but the man is a wizard!!!  Black magic is the only way in the world he could have pulled off that sales job.  

10 hours ago, rico said:

Now that Sir, is one fine take.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the percentages would be for kids that don't go to college at all?

Thanks....

I don't know by percentages. My opinion is that in the first couple of years there would be a greater number of kids take the direct to the pros route. Once kids see how this does or doesn't work out for the first couple of groups, then I think things would slow down and you might see 30-40 kids a year not go to college.

I am a big college fan but I am not a coach who knows a lot of X and O's so I ask the people on here whoa re coaches, when did the offensive philosophy really change in college basketball.  The first I remember hearing about the dribble drive was when Calapari was at Memphis.  My question to coaches is why they changed their offensive strategy and what does this type of offense bring that the old type of offense didn't.  I know they are trying to make everything like the NBA but this kind of offense needs great talent to succeed and college players are just not good enough to run it effectively.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am a big college fan but I am not a coach who knows a lot of X and O's so I ask the people on here whoa re coaches, when did the offensive philosophy really change in college basketball.  The first I remember hearing about the dribble drive was when Calapari was at Memphis.  My question to coaches is why they changed their offensive strategy and what does this type of offense bring that the old type of offense didn't.  I know they are trying to make everything like the NBA but this kind of offense needs great talent to succeed and college players are just not good enough to run it effectively.

This is my take Scott.  The offense changed when, for whatever reasons, fundamentals went out the window.  Nobody uses a shot fake anymore to get an advantage on their defender.  The screen is a lost art.  Being able to use both hands.  Etc., etc., etc.

1 minute ago, rico said:

This is my take Scott.  The offense changed when, for whatever reasons, fundamentals went out the window.  Nobody uses a shot fake anymore to get an advantage on their defender.  The screen is a lost art.  Being able to use both hands.  Etc., etc., etc.

I wonder if a lot of this goes back to kids playing so many games in AAU so it is harder for the to work on their individual  games.  I know there are a lot of good coaches out here and have good AAU programs that teach fundamentals but there are a lot that don't so that is a problem.

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think it's a bit of a football thing. You have some schools that run "pro-style" offenses and some that don't. The pro-style coaches seemed to use that in recruiting the top quarterbacks. The whole "we'll prepare you for the pro's" thing. I also remember first hearing of the dribble drive around the Calipari Memphis days, which also coincides with Cal becoming a recruiting juggernaut. 

So, to compete in the "I'll prepare you for the NBA" landscape other coaches began adopting this dribble-drive, NBA style offense and now it's pretty wide-spread. 

Archived