Ways to make offense in college basketball better

IU Scott

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think it's a bit of a football thing. You have some schools that run "pro-style" offenses and some that don't. The pro-style coaches seemed to use that in recruiting the top quarterbacks. The whole "we'll prepare you for the pro's" thing. I also remember first hearing of the dribble drive around the Calipari Memphis days, which also coincides with Cal becoming a recruiting juggernaut. 

So, to compete in the "I'll prepare you for the NBA" landscape other coaches began adopting this dribble-drive, NBA style offense and now it's pretty wide-spread. 

I guess if I were a coach I would worry more about what will help me win games over how do I get players to the NBA. Most places are not getting a lot of NBA players so I would find what fits my personal the best and use that offense.  One of the reasons I like watching some mid major programs is that is what they do and they tend to run offense that I enjoy watching.  I like watching Belmont and Davidson because they both run a free flowing offense built on ball movement and player movement.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I guess if I were a coach I would worry more about what will help me win games over how do I get players to the NBA. Most places are not getting a lot of NBA players so I would find what fits my personal the best and use that offense.  One of the reasons I like watching some mid major programs is that is what they do and they tend to run offense that I enjoy watching.  I like watching Belmont and Davidson because they both run a free flowing offense built on ball movement and player movement.

The old Princeton offense still works...it’s just coaches want the best kids thinking it will give them an advantage to win. The kids want to run offenses that let them go one on one or screen and roll so scouts can measure what they are capable in the NBA. AAU and college is just a dog and pony show for most. Showcase my talents let the offense be centered around me. The best coaches I believe adapt their motion and screening offenses to get scoring opportunities for everyone but run plays and try to put the ball in their best players hands. Anyways these kids can’t consistently score or shoot the ball at NBA levels for the most part even the 5 stars yet coaches junk everything they know to give them the ball and clear out and let them chuck it 30 times.

Archived