Offseason workouts

Here's a good video of Ballou talking about some things they're working on this year.  Towards the end, I loved how he addressed the change in mindset from top speed to acceleration.  As a Physics teacher, I love the science that they put into their workouts.

For those not familiar with it (probably most of you non nerds haha), when he talks about power, what they're actually talking about is the equation for power that is force times velocity.  Breaking it down further, force is mass times acceleration.  Basically power is saying how much they are accelerating in relation to their mass.  Larger guys with slower acceleration can have good power because they're moving a lot of mass.  Small guy with great acceleration can have good power too.  It seems like they're putting numbers to the things we're used to only being able to see.  I love it!

You don't have to listen to Ballou and Rhea long to know that they know what they're talking about.  He seems to really fit with Allen's family mindset too.  I think year 2 will really start to show some dividends compared to year 1.

33 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You now have me tempted to bust out Excel and figure what increase in velocity and/or acceleration would need to be to produce the same amount of force with 10-20-30 lbs less mass.

I'm so used to using the metric system the lbs are making my brain hurt haha.

I just emailed Dr. Rhea to see if he'd be willing to share any data with me that I could break down with my Physics classes.  Hopefully he sends something back and we could get more in depth into it.

I want to do that data too when I get the time.  I'm interested to see what it would look like.

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm so used to using the metric system the lbs are making my brain hurt haha.

I just emailed Dr. Rhea to see if he'd be willing to share any data with me that I could break down with my Physics classes.  Hopefully he sends something back and we could get more in depth into it.

I want to do that data too when I get the time.  I'm interested to see what it would look like.

That’s awesome. I assume he’d know if any of it is trade secret in the sense that we wouldn’t want to lose a competitive advantage. Hopefully he can separate what’s confidential vs what’s just a natural law of physics or maths. 

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s awesome. I assume he’d know if any of it is trade secret in the sense that we wouldn’t want to lose a competitive advantage. Hopefully he can separate what’s confidential vs what’s just a natural law of physics or maths. 

Hopefully I'll hear something back.  I don't really see any negatives that could come from it as long as he takes things out like you said.  It would be a really fun activity to do in my classes.

He did tweet some information from Stevie Scott a few weeks ago, but it wasn't quite enough information to know what was going on.  I could do some basic stuff with it, but nothing very in depth.

• 4 months later...

The link is behind a paywall, so I haven't read about the guys, but Ball is rated the #9 "freak" in the country.  I remember talking about how jacked he looked during the spring game.  I think he came out at halftime maybe?  I just remember him looking like a beast.  I also saw that Sio retweeted it saying he wanted more IU guys on it in the future, and I could definitely see him being on it before his 4 years at IU are done.  He seems like a monster in the weight room.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:41 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

I got an email from Dr. Rhea saying he'd be willing to send me some redacted data.  I won't be able to share any information here because it needs to stay only in my classes, but I'm pretty excited that he got back to me on it.  I think my classes will really love breaking down some information about high level athletes.

I thought that was pretty awesome of him to do something like that.

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I got an email from Dr. Rhea saying he'd be willing to send me some redacted data.  I won't be able to share any information here because it needs to stay only in my classes, but I'm pretty excited that he got back to me on it.  I think my classes will really love breaking down some information about high level athletes.

I thought that was pretty awesome of him to do something like that.

Neat. I am happy for you. 

Archived