Miller Elaborates on Problem -- Leaves One Big Question

56 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I just think the rest of us are always going to be on a need to know basis.  Suppose you are right that JS or DG is a locker room problem.  What good does that do anyone for Archie to say it publicly.  The better answer is to say, hey, play your butt off here for the next month so you can land at the best possible transfer location for you.  He is still trying to win games, and our bench, if you haven't noticed, is a disaster.  It's in everyone's interest to push through it.

If he called out a player, how do you think our home fans would react to them?  Hell, they booed McRoberts recently and all that guy has ever done is bust his butt for this team.  

I think you just put your best foot forward and keep trying to win....and if something gets so bad you part ways mid season.

Whatever needs to be communicated to the recruits is happening separately as well.  The staff talks to their top targets regularly.  If there was something that needed to be communicated they would do it.

Thanks for the reply.  I just think we'll have to agree to disagree here.  CBK was hardest on his best players and called them out by name.  I think continuing to reward the players who are part of the problem with playing time over players that are actually busting their butts regardless of their success, undermines the culture CAM is trying to create.  I much prefer the optics of players who play hard play regardless their star rating.  I still appreciate your input and your website.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

That quote resonates.  You guys all see his press conferences too.  He's all business.  Never smiles.  Doesn't seem to enjoy it.  Just part of the job.  That's fine.  Some coaches are just like that. 

Others genuinely seem to like the back and forth (Beilein, Painter). 

Other coaches like to hear themselves talk, like to use the opportunity to get a point across, etc. (Izzo)

A lot of it might go with how long they've been on the job/how comfortable they are with where they are.

Still waiting on those wins Thad!

4 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

Just a question to you TDH from a reporters perspective.  Why wouldn't CAM just come out and say what he is doing and why?  I truly believe it would only help quell the fan anxiety and also help with recruiting.  Sunshine helps heal an infected wound.  If per chance KBJ is vacillating on committing because of the derision, wouldn't that help?  Also, for the potential recruits for 21, wouldn't it also be beneficial to understand the direction CAM is going in terms of program and understanding the culture he is trying to create?  But what do I know,  I'm just a IUBB fan of 50yrs.

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been thinking. You don’t want to throw your players under the bus (cough, cough, CREAN, Cough), but you can say things that make it clear that there are issues the players need to own up to, then BENCH the ones who are the problem and everyone can see. It’s obvious and it puts the light in them as it SHOULD BE. 

I think there are 2 main ways people coach and teach people.

There is the guy who is more into building relationships with guys and getting them to work hard through caring about them and trying to build them from within.  It tries to create that caring relationship between coach and player where they try harder for their coach because they truly care about them.  This is what Crean was.  At times it worked, and at times guys took advantage of him, but I never felt like I doubted what type of culture he was trying to build.  He just clearly didn't do it well enough.

The other type of coach is the strict, you do what I tell you to do because I'm your coach.  If we screw up, we're running to let you know I'm in charge.  If you don't play hard, you're going to be sitting on the bench with the manager.  I don't care if you like me, but you're going to listen to me.  More of the military idea.  Sometimes that is exactly what people need, and they really grow a respect for their coach because they pushed them to grow as people.  I think this is more what Knight was.

I think coaches need to pick a side.  Otherwise they are lenient one time because they care, and strict the next time to try to assert their dominance.  Bouncing back and forth between the two styles doesn't work well.

My problem with it is that I think most of us would agree that Archie falls much more in line with option 2.  He seems like a no nonsense guy.  Do what I tell you, or get out.  It seems like he wants to be like that, but he isn't following through.  It has been clear for a dozen games that some guys aren't giving the energy they should.  He even brings some things up in press conferences and then he doesn't follow through.  I was fine with some things like that with Crean because I felt like sometimes he didn't punish them because he truly cared about them like they were his own kids.  I don't get that sense with Archie.  Not that he doesn't care, but he can't be a disciplinarian and let things slide.  Maybe he tried punishing those guys in practice.  Cool, I'm down with that.  But if you keep doing that for 10 games without any improvement, at some point you have to hit them where it hurts with playing time until they fall in line.

I know it takes time to build a coach's culture, but I really don't know what kind of culture he is trying to build.

Archived