Zion Williamson and his Nikes

IUCrazy2

25 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Anybody think Zion getting hurt as a result of his Nike's falling apart might be used by Adidas on the recruiting front?  

Probably. But if I were Zion I'd hang onto those shoes. In 45 days or so those could be worth a pretty penny. Of course I don't know if shoes provided by university actually means property of player or property of Duke. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably. But if I were Zion I'd hang onto those shoes. In 45 days or so those could be worth a pretty penny. Of course I don't know if shoes provided by university actually means property of player or property of Duke. 

They used to not be school property. I had several sets from players when a some friends were managers at IU. Had lots of stuff

Have heard several comments this morning from various players suggesting that Zion should be wearing Lebron's shoes. That essentially, he is too big for the shoes that Nike has provided and that his body type, skill set, and the amount of pressure he puts on his feet are similar to LJ. 

In saying all this, frankly I don't really care. Too much has been made of Zion, Duke, the whole situation...especially the slobberfest that ESPN continues to broadcast. I am sure the kid will be okay. I am sure Duke will be okay. I am sure Nike will be okay. 

Time to move on. Game is over. Lot more games, lot more teams, to cover. 

38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Have heard several comments this morning from various players suggesting that Zion should be wearing Lebron's shoes. That essentially, he is too big for the shoes that Nike has provided and that his body type, skill set, and the amount of pressure he puts on his feet are similar to LJ.

To me, that's the value and insight that Nike (or whoever) should be bringing to a university sports program.  OK, we all know the brand of gear selected is for attracting recruits, but wouldn't it be great to say "You'll be swimming in Nikes, AND they could help make your game better."?

The big debate right now is whether Zion should sit out the rest of the season. Wonder how everyone feels about that?

First let's get this part out of the way, Zion can and should do whatever he wants and is best for him. With that said, its fun to debate and I have two different opinions on it. 

1) If the reason for sitting out the rest of the season is fear of injury, then I find that kind of lame. It's not like he's going to not play basketball between now and signing his first contract/endorsement deal. You can blow out a knee playing pick-up basketball or in a private workout just as easily as you could in a college game. Basketball players are going to play the game regardless of when/where and there's always a chance of injury.

2) Conversely, if Zion sent out a release today saying he's leaving Duke because he's built a big enough brand to where he is ready monetize himself and that he's signing with an agent and immediately getting millions in endorsement deals from shoe companies, Gatorade, Beats by Dre, etc., then I would have no problem with that. I wouldn't like bailing on your team, but I'd really have no problem with it at all. Would any of you wait 90 days to receive $100M if you could get it today? I wouldn't. 

I guess I am to old school but I just can't fathom this mentality of sitting out games if you are healthy to play.  To me this enables kids to just quit on their commitment to their teammates and coaches and quitting is not a good character to have.  I would bet that MJ or any of those great players back then would ever thought about sitting out just for their draft stock.  Done with my rant but these kind of discussions are ridiculous to me.

Archived