'76-'77 vs. this season

rico

I can't help but compare this year's team to that one back in 76-77.  The similarities are there.  That team had Benson and a frosh Woodson.  Now we have Juwan and Romeo.  But that is where it stops.  The 76-77 team struggled in non-con play to quality opponents.  Going 5-4.  That team was also ranked #5 preseason and rose to #4, before free falling.  The Big Ten was stout that year but we managed to go 9-9.  This was not ranked to start the season.  But after navigating the non-con schedule, they found themselves in the polls.  Now we are free falling in conference play.  Just random thoughts to take our minds off the nightmare that is the '18-'19 season.

24 minutes ago, rico said:

I can't help but compare this year's team to that one back in 76-77.  The similarities are there.  That team had Benson and a frosh Woodson.  Now we have Juwan and Romeo.  But that is where it stops.  The 76-77 team struggled in non-con play to quality opponents.  Going 5-4.  That team was also ranked #5 preseason and rose to #4, before free falling.  The Big Ten was stout that year but we managed to go 9-9.  This was not ranked to start the season.  But after navigating the non-con schedule, they found themselves in the polls.  Now we are free falling in conference play.  Just random thoughts to take our minds off the nightmare that is the '18-'19 season.

Is that 9-9 before or after someone (MSU or Minn I believe) had to forfeit some wins?

33 minutes ago, rico said:

76-77 had an all-time great head coach. 2018-19 has a tbd  head coach

76-77 was the 6th year in  Knight's tenure at IU vs. only the 2nd year for Archie. Knight had more than one recruiting cycle in place to get kids he wanted.

76-77 talent was concentrated to many fewer schools. Only a handful got regular television exposure. That impacted the prominence of teams and how they restocked from year to year

76-77 had two Senior guards running the show, Radford and Wisman vs our current backcourt makeup of freshman, sophomores and a mistake prone junior.

76-77 team was coming off a national championship and undefeated season. It had kids that knew how to win at the highest level of the college game. This team is coming off a season             that is essentially the same as this year, with no kids that have won in a college season at even the highest level for the conference

76-77 Woodson had Benson, a two-time All American and soon to be first pick in the NBA draft. This team, Romeo has Morgan who may not even make first team all-conference

78-77 I don't believe that there was any drama on this team. The pot issues with Woodson, Roberson and Tommy Baker came in a later year. This team has had to deal with all kinds of        behind the scenes issues, from parents on social media, to locker room fights, to player suspension, to injuries.

Some similarities, but not as much as you might suggest

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

76-77 had an all-time great head coach. 2018-19 has a tbd  head coach

76-77 was the 6th year in  Knight's tenure at IU vs. only the 2nd year for Archie. Knight had more than one recruiting cycle in place to get kids he wanted.

76-77 talent was concentrated to many fewer schools. Only a handful got regular television exposure. That impacted the prominence of teams and how they restocked from year to year

76-77 had two Senior guards running the show, Radford and Wisman vs our current backcourt makeup of freshman, sophomores and a mistake prone junior.

76-77 team was coming off a national championship and undefeated season. It had kids that knew how to win at the highest level of the college game. This team is coming off a season             that is essentially the same as this year, with no kids that have won in a college season at even the highest level for the conference

76-77 Woodson had Benson, a two-time All American and soon to be first pick in the NBA draft. This team, Romeo has Morgan who may not even make first team all-conference

78-77 I don't believe that there was any drama on this team. The pot issues with Woodson, Roberson and Tommy Baker came in a later year. This team has had to deal with all kinds of        behind the scenes issues, from parents on social media, to locker room fights, to player suspension, to injuries.

Some similarities, but not as much as you might suggest

Radford and Wisman were juniors in 76-77.  The pot issue was the 78-79 season.  And it was Cox, Roberson, and Baker.  The team made the NCAAT in the 77-78 season.  

And it was Minnesota.

And what did I suggest?  Other than a season full of hope and high expectations?

On 2/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, Zlinedavid said:

Huge difference: Woodson was back for 77-78.  99.9% chance Romeo won't be back for 19-20. 

Who said anything about the following seasons?  My OP was based on a season that had high expectations.  That be 76-77 vs. 18-19.  Not looking at the year before or the year after.  

4 hours ago, rico said:

Who said anything about the following seasons?  My OP was based on a season that had high expectations.  That be 76-77 vs. 18-19.  Not looking at the year before or the year after.

Lowers the level of optimism/hope for the future knowing that a key component of the team won't be returning.

I get the comparison, and I remember the season.  You are correct, except that team had better bit players and Coach Knight struggled, can you imagine the twitter storm if  social media  had been around?  It kind puts this season with all of the injuries into perspective.  

Archived