In the eyes of an unbiased rater of talent....

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-scouts-riff-on-nwora-romeo-uk-guys-morant-bassey/article_f09d3fb6-360f-11e9-a447-7fb2dc83768e.html

It was suggested that this article needed its own thread. 

The article is from Bozich and he is quoting NBA scouts on their opinions about kids who may enter the draft this year. He reaffirms the idea that Romeo has the stuff to be a top pick.

More interesting to me are his comments about the rest of the team. He basically says not to judge Romeo based on the results of this IU team because he is playing with one G-League candidate (Juwan) and the rest of the roster comprised of kids who would be subs on a good B!G team.

For all the kvetching about CAM and how this team has played so poorly....this is an unsolicited, unbiased evaluation of this current team by a guy whose profession is to evaluate talent. 

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-scouts-riff-on-nwora-romeo-uk-guys-morant-bassey/article_f09d3fb6-360f-11e9-a447-7fb2dc83768e.html

The article is from Bozich and he is quoting NBA scouts on their opinions about kids who may enter the draft this year. He reaffirms the idea that Romeo has the stuff to be a top pick.

More interesting to me are his comments about the rest of the team. He basically says not to judge Romeo based on the results of this IU team because he is playing with one G-League candidate (Juwan) and the rest of the roster comprised of kids who would be subs on a good B!G team.

For all the kvetching about CAM and how this team has played so poorly....this is an unsolicited, unbiased evaluation of this current team by a guy whose profession is to evaluate talent. 

Glad you posted this. I laugh when people and/or fans from other schools suggest Romeo isn't lottery bound. 

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

May want to keep this away from Edward Smith

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/02/07/indiana-basketball-nba-prospect-romeo-langford-should-stay/2766497002/

And here’s another “unbiased, professional” opinion that says Romeo is costing himself millions of dollars and should come back to school for another year.  They’re all just opinions... We have more than enough talent to not be the worst team in the Big Ten.

44 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

May want to keep this away from Edward Smith

Or some of the guys on the rivals board who thinks IU has the 3rd or 4th best roster in the conference.  He said we have 1 5 star player and 7 4 star players but I have never seen where there are 7 4 star players on this roster.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Or some of the guys on the rivals board who thinks IU has the 3rd or 4th best roster in the conference.  He said we have 1 5 star player and 7 4 star players but I have never seen where there are 7 4 star players on this roster.

Whoever said that is correct. There is one five-star in Romeo and seven four-stars. 

Juwan, Justin, Rob, Deron, Race, Hunter, Damezi

2 minutes ago, KDB said:

Whoever said that is correct. There is one five-star in Romeo and seven four-stars. 

Depends what service you looked at but to me I don't think guys ranked above 100 is 4 star players.  We have 3 guys who were in the top 100 of their class so I wouldn't say that is a talented lineup

Just now, IU Scott said:

Depends what service you looked at but to me I don't think guys ranked above 100 is 4 star players.  We have 3 guys who were in the top 100 of their class so I wouldn't say that is a talented lineup

That is true regarding what service you look at.

A lot of those guys were borderline 4-stars. Only three of them were top 100 - on 247Sports

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/02/07/indiana-basketball-nba-prospect-romeo-langford-should-stay/2766497002/

And here’s another “unbiased, professional” opinion that says Romeo is costing himself millions of dollars and should come back to school for another year.  They’re all just opinions... We have more than enough talent to not be the worst team in the Big Ten.

This article just leads me to believe that some of these people don't know how the NBA works. One of the biggest reasons for going pro early is to get the clock started on that second contract, which is where most players make the big money. If Romeo's costing himself "millions of dollars" this season, he's going to cost himself even more than that if he stays by delaying that second contract. As for where he gets drafted, the NBA drafts on potential - how a player does in college isn't all that relevant as long as he doesn't completely tank or get into some sort of trouble. Take a look at Mohamed Bamba or Wendell Carter's numbers from college for an example of this - both went in the lottery last year. 

18 minutes ago, KDB said:

I didn't realize Hunter has been playing???? and Deron is just now starting to get back in shape with Race far behind. Just saying.

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

This article just leads me to believe that some of these people don't know how the NBA works. One of the biggest reasons for going pro early is to get the clock started on that second contract, which is where most players make the big money. If Romeo's costing himself "millions of dollars" this season, he's going to cost himself even more than that if he stays by delaying that second contract. As for where he gets drafted, the NBA drafts on potential - how a player does in college isn't all that relevant as long as he doesn't completely tank or get into some sort of trouble. Take a look at Mohamed Bamba or Wendell Carter's numbers from college for an example of this - both went in the lottery last year. 

Totally agree with you, and I said basically the same thing when I originally posted that article.  My point is that I don’t put too much stock into these quotes from anonymous “pro scouts.”

16 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I didn't realize Hunter has been playing???? and Deron is just now starting to get back in shape with Race far behind. Just saying.

I didn't realize I ever said any of those things weren't true?

I was just saying that there are indeed seven 4-stars on the roster.. Healthy or not.

1 minute ago, KDB said:

I didn't realize I ever said any of those things weren't true?

I was just saying that there are indeed seven 4-stars on the roster.. Healthy or not.

True! But you need to realize it just feeds the beasts that completely ignore the effects of injuries this year. You'd have better off just leaving it alone. But that's just me. No disrespect intended.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Juwan, DD, Smith, Race,  Demezi,  Rob, and I would not count Hunter since he hasn't played at all, really can't count Race either, and geez DD wasn't expected to play this year until mid year by most of us chat board professionals.  So one 5 star and 4.5 4 stars. 2 of those being freshman, one concussed. 

Lord heal our team.  Amen.  

2 hours ago, KDB said:

And therein lies the problem with star ratings. Great for fans so they can puff their chests out, but don’t mean a thing once the kids get on the floor.

Just look at “The  Movement “as the prime example 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Time out.  This board clamors for the Bohannon and Clines of the world.  Without looking I bet they weren't in the top 100.  If the top 25 programs each got 4 of the top 100 players that leaves 75% of all the power basketball an untalented lineup.  It's just not based in fact.  There are a ton talented kids out there that don't have start and the measurements to ever make the NBA but they can ball.  

I do fully believe with a healthy DD, Rob, Race, and Hunter all year long this team is still hunting top 4 in conference like most of us crazies where saying before the season.   Shooting woes aside.  

Fact is we have truly been devastated by injuries which has made bad chemistry, horrible chemistry.   

The season ain't over yet.  

3 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Bohanen and Cline sure have been beating the heck out of us, but what about beating the likes of UK, Duke, KU, UNC, et al. We don't want just guys who beat us, we want guys who beat them.

Yes even the Rutgers and Northwesterns of the world can beat us. Heck we were losing to Fort Wayne last year and I suspect if we played Jacksonville st or some of those cupcakes we played early in the season now we might lose to them too. Imo it’s the Kyle Guys and Sean May’s of the world that we’ve been missing on that have cost us the most...not the Bohanons.

42 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Bohanen and Cline sure have been beating the heck out of us, but what about beating the likes of UK, Duke, KU, UNC, et al. We don't want just guys who beat us, we want guys who beat them.

Correct, the point it there is a ton of talented players out there.  If this team had one of those two that would solve a ton of problems.   

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I had a back and forth not long ago on here about what the scouts were actually saying about Romeo. Now here it is in print. He’s a lottery talent, period. 

Archived