In the eyes of an unbiased rater of talent....

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/02/07/indiana-basketball-nba-prospect-romeo-langford-should-stay/2766497002/

And here’s another “unbiased, professional” opinion that says Romeo is costing himself millions of dollars and should come back to school for another year.  They’re all just opinions... We have more than enough talent to not be the worst team in the Big Ten.

And.... you missed the point.

I was not focusing on what he said about Romeo. More what his opinion of the rest of the roster. 

I am sure you are plenty smart and your observation that we have plenty of talent may very well be accurate. But this scout who is paid to evaluate players doesn’t agree with you.

1 hour ago, IUDan93 said:

Bohanen and Cline sure have been beating the heck out of us, but what about beating the likes of UK, Duke, KU, UNC, et al. We don't want just guys who beat us, we want guys who beat them.

Cline has beaten quite a few good teams this year (and in his career). Guy is a sharpshooting stud. 

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Depends what service you looked at but to me I don't think guys ranked above 100 is 4 star player

110% agree. What a joke the star ratings are. In reality they're silly to use and need to disappear. If Justin was a 4 star, then Zion is a 176-star. Instead, they're only separated by one. The star rankings tell no story whatsoever

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And.... you missed the point.

I was not focusing on what he said about Romeo. More what his opinion of the rest of the roster. 

I am sure you are plenty smart and your observation that we have plenty of talent may very well be accurate. But this scout who is paid to evaluate players doesn’t agree with you.

I didn't get a chance to thank you for posting that link.  The scout's observation/s are alarming...sadly they appear to be very true concerning our squad.

I'll just say this about the talent or lack there of on this roster, I remember at the beginning of the season someone posted a team picture in the annual "preseason expectations" thread. I don't remember if I participated in that thread, I typically never do a guess on wins at the beginning of the season, I find it's more a game of "gotcha" for the end of the season. 

With all that said, I remember looking at the team picture posted in that thread and thinking "ummm, I don't see it". I just felt underwhelmed. I remember thinking that Langford will be good and Morgan will be good, but after that it just looked like a bunch of dudes. No point guard, no real big man, no shooters we can trust. 

Say what you want about star rankings, etc., but that was my thought at the beginning of the season when looking at the team picture. I'm not saying I expected a 2nd-to-last place finish in the Big Ten and for the team to lose 10-out-of-11, but I just looked at the team and didn't really see much after those two, and it didn't really hit me until I looked at the picture. I didn't post this thought at the time because I wanted to believe we'd be good.

I am tired of the talent argument.   This team has some flaws and is far from perfect.   Every team has flaws.   It's the coach's job to compensate for that.

This team absolutely has enough talen to be a tournament team.  If they would show up with legitimate effort each game, IU has a winning record in conference. 

There are 68 teams that make the big dance, there are not 68 teams that are more talented than IU.  

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll just say this about the talent or lack there of on this roster, I remember at the beginning of the season someone posted a team picture in the annual "preseason expectations" thread. I don't remember if I participated in that thread, I typically never do a guess on wins at the beginning of the season, I find it's more a game of "gotcha" for the end of the season. 

With all that said, I remember looking at the team picture posted in that thread and thinking "ummm, I don't see it". I just felt underwhelmed. I remember thinking that Langford will be good and Morgan will be good, but after that it just looked like a bunch of dudes. No point guard, no real big man, no shooters we can trust. 

Say what you want about star rankings, etc., but that was my thought at the beginning of the season when looking at the team picture. I'm not saying I expected a 2nd-to-last place finish in the Big Ten and for the team to lose 10-out-of-11, but I just looked at the team and didn't really see much after those two, and it didn't really hit me until I looked at the picture. I didn't post this thought at the time because I wanted to believe we'd be good.

I believe there are two universal constants with sports fans:

1.  Optimism always peaks in the off season.

2. Fans over value their own players and recruits and more easily find faults with rivals'.

IMO, it's just the nature of passionate fans.

Archived