Iowa Postgame Thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

This is why people can’t get caught up in mock drafts. They are done by the media for speculation. On 1070 the fan this week Mike Wells who works for ESPN sent an NBA person that has been in the league for 30-40 years a text asking if Romeo was a lottery pick and the response he got. Back was “No. This is because he is a scorer that can’t score the way the NBA is played. By hitting threes at a high level”. He also only goes right, right, right, and more right 90% of the time. 

This is where I’m at with Romeo. He can be a great player. He’s starting to buy in Archie’s system. I think as a player though he has no identity. He doesn’t do one thing exceptionally well outside of driving with his right hand. In my honest opinion I don’t think he’s ready. Does my opinion matter? Nope. I just think he needs to decide how much he really likes basketball. If he loves playing basketball then he should stay one more year. If he loves the dream of being in the NBA then he needs to go to the NBA. I just don’t think he’ll play a lot of minutes next year. 

1 minute ago, Zville Hoosier said:

You’re right, probably not a layup but at least a 12 foot jumper. Something higher percentage than what we got. 

I'll agree with you on that - his man was backpedalling and he probably could have just risen up for a 15 foot jumper or something. The step back three was a bad decision. Not just talking about this play, but I think people oversimplify things when they get mad at Romeo for not driving more. I'm sure he wants to drive too but the scouting report on IU is pretty obvious by this point. Pack the paint, make them shoot. 

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

.Bohannon going crazy against IU makes me sick to my stomach.  Bohannon going crazy like that against any other team, and I say "that's what makes college basketball so great". 

You have to tip your hat to the kid.  I said after the last iowa game how I wished we had guys like Bohannon and Cook.  Honestly, I think I would take them over any other pair in the Big Ten.  

Yep.  We controlled him for most of regulation, but letting it go to overtime it felt like it was just a matter of time before he killed.

So many little thing kept us from winning this game in regulation, and I feel we deserved to win. But the falling down, fling it up chuck that they made in the first half was the difference betwee the win and loss.

Also, that Garza kid really kept them in it in the first half (and also had a big rebound while blocked out by Juwan).

Overall, while disappointing, this game doesn't bother me nearly as much as soany others have.

Some of you may think this is picky, but on several of Juwan's blocked shots, it seemed like he unnecessarily tomohawked the ball out of bounds.  And, as a result, he gave Iowa a second chance to score.  Simply keeping the ball in play with those blocks is a little thing, but came up big in such a tight game.

And, I wish he would stop flexing every time he scores.  We have lost 12 of 13 after all.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Some of you may think this is picky, but on several of Juwan's blocked shots, it seemed like he unnecessarily tomohawked the ball out of bounds.  And, as a result, he gave Iowa a second chance to score.  Simply keeping the ball in play with those blocks is a little thing, but came up big in such a tight game.

And, I wish he would stop flexing every time he scores.  We have lost 12 of 13 after all.

I was thinking the same about the blocked shots. I thought if he could do the blocks like Bill Russell he would of save about 4-6 points. But if he hadn't blocked them he would of gave up 10 pts

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Roy Hibbert I feel used to always swat it to the other team. Usually for a corner 3. Not all blocks are equal 

It just kind of stinks that this season has been so bad. Juwan deserved a better end to his IU career and quite frankly if Romeo does leave he deserved a better year. He has represented IU fantastically and he will probably remembered like Noah Vonleh and fade into a vague memory of IU basketball. 

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

.Bohannon going crazy against IU makes me sick to my stomach.  Bohannon going crazy like that against any other team, and I say "that's what makes college basketball so great". 

You have to tip your hat to the kid.  I said after the last iowa game how I wished we had guys like Bohannon and Cook.  Honestly, I think I would take them over any other pair in the Big Ten.  

I don't have to tip my hat that bad calls led to his consequential threes. 

Just now, ADegenerate said:

It can be mutually exclusive. You can do you and also be apart of a team. I don't see how hiding and sulking does anything positive for anyone especially in 2019. 

So the only two options are hiding and sulking or "dang we just lost...welp better go retweet my highlights on twitter!" Of course not.

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So the only two options are hiding and sulking or "dang we just lost...welp better go retweet my highlights on twitter!" Of course not.

No, they're student athletes. Would you be excited if you smashed a test for a 95/100? He made a solid play that was highlight worthy. Let him enjoy that and share it. I'm not sure why that bothers you.  

2 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

No, they're student athletes. Would you be excited if you smashed a test for a 95/100? He made a solid play that was highlight worthy. Let him enjoy that and share it. I'm not sure why that bothers you.  

It’s not the one instance of being out for himself it’s the fact that there don’t appear to be instances of being for the team 

Just so we're clear here since I've gotten slack for being the negative one. There's clearly a massive boo boy base for Devonte and Justin. Al was woeful and Rob can't hit a shot but has there been a single post on that? Doubtful. 

The boys were 8 point dogs and should have won the game. Ironically enough this was a good performance for me. Also, Justin did almost nothing wrong tonight.

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

It’s not the one instance of being out for himself it’s the fact that there don’t appear to be instances of being for the team 

'Being for the team' makes you immune to criticism? Al and Rob made countless mistakes tonight. Yet, neither have been mentioned or called out. Rob shoots like 30% but that's cool right?

Archived