Iowa Postgame Thread

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

We lost.  It sucks but Archie cost us this one.  He's not going any whereywhere for another year or so so we'd better get used to it.

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous take. You can't say I haven't been critical of this team or this coach, but we got screwed tonight. 

The only thing worse than the guys who think IU can do no wrong are the guys who can never admit when we get screwed. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Just so we're clear here since I've gotten slack for being the negative one. There's clearly a massive boo boy base for Devonte and Justin. Al was woeful and Rob can't hit a shot but has there been a single post on that? Doubtful. 

The boys were 8 point dogs and should have won the game. Ironically enough this was a good performance for me. Also, Justin did almost nothing wrong tonight.

You're fine.  Unless Coach K suddenly resigns and takes up the IU job get used to it.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous take. You can't say I haven't been critical of this team or this coach, but we got screwed tonight. 

The only thing worse than the guys who think IU can do no wrong are the guys who can never admit when we get screwed. 

I am sorry.   Archie is the best coach I've ever seen in my lifetime by a country mile.  He makes Mike Davis look like Phil Jackson and it isn't close.  

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

I am sorry.   Archie is the best coach I've ever seen in my lifetime by a country mile.  He makes Mike Davis look like Phil Jackson and it isn't close.  

Why are you so emotionally unstable? It is completely possible to be critical of this staff and team and still think we got screwed tonight. If you think losing in overtime to a ranked team means our coach sucks, no matter how good our team is, you probably aren't capable of a rational opinion. 

8 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

'Being for the team' makes you immune to criticism? Al and Rob made countless mistakes tonight. Yet, neither have been mentioned or called out. Rob shoots like 30% but that's cool right?

I makes you immune to criticism of being selfish. The issue isn’t really productivity. Which is also something smith struggles with

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

This is why people can’t get caught up in mock drafts. They are done by the media for speculation. On 1070 the fan this week Mike Wells who works for ESPN sent an NBA person that has been in the league for 30-40 years a text asking if Romeo was a lottery pick and the response he got. Back was “No. This is because he is a scorer that can’t score the way the NBA is played. By hitting threes at a high level”. He also only goes right, right, right, and more right 90% of the time. 

And what that he said isn’t true? IT IS? He isn’t an exceptional athlete and he can’t shoot well from outside. His handles are average for a 2 guard in the NBA...if he goes high it must be for a reason I can’t see.

Got home late and just finished watching. Another gut shot for this team.

Some self inflicted (offensive rebounding remains a complete struggle)....and then Bohannon heaving ridiculous shot after shot down the stretch to take advantage of our inability to put the game away when we had the chance.

Our offense was once again was just painful to watch at key points. We have a lottery pick who appears trained to throw the ball around the perimeter most of his touches ( at least before the last minutes of the game) rather than attacking or shooting consistently. Most possessions ended with a forced shot, too often from the perimeter. We shot 6/27 (22%) from deep.....27 of our 63 shots came from beyond the arch (42%).....we shot 42% overall from the field......and we went 12/22 (54%) from the the foul line. This team simply struggles to shoot the ball and find ways to get easy shots out of this offense. Some of it is poor execution offesively: slow entry into the offense, passing the ball around the perimeter with merely a glance at passing options, not enough players confident enough to shoot, no cohesiveness on pick and roll to get the ball to the screener, inability to execute simple passes or hand off situations on the perimeter.

The reality is this team simply can't shoot the ball, which limits our ability to score inside. Teams have figured out how to guard us by clogging the middle and Morgan (our best interior threat) constantly takes himself out of games by lowering his hands and fouling defensively. 

On a positive note, I really liked seeing Race/Jake hit the boards and play defense with effort and athleticism in the first half. It was easy to tell those kids bring a different level of athleticism to the line up. I hope they (and Cliff) get more minutes to close out the year and gain some experience. This year is shot. Develop the youth. 

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I makes you immune to criticism of being selfish. The issue isn’t really productivity. Which is also something smith struggles with

What do you mean selfish? There's layers. Just because Rob / Al don't have active social media accounts make them unselfish? Al was terrrrible and I haven't seen a post knocking him all year. Fwiw I don't like this subject. I focus on the system not players so I'm not particularly comfortable here.

If IU can sustain the effort they have been showing the last couple of games they could be a dangerous team come BTT,could make a run like Illinois did a few years back...For the posters riding CAM a$$,I thought last night was one of his better games,he worked the sidelines,wasnt affraid to sit some players,had some passion...keep in mind the guy is in his early forties,its not like hes been coaching 20 years...some of the players just make bad decisions, poor shot selection, poor shooting. .that dont always fall on the coach.

*. If that IU team that showed up last night had shown up all year, we wouldn’t be in the mess me are now. 

*. While I am happy with the improvements we saw last night, I’m truthfully more depressed than anything. Last night just illustrates how badly we have underachieved this year. 

* I’m glad we played better last night, but losing on the road in overtime to a good team doesn’t come close to easing the sting of losing 12 of 13. 

* I just hope we see that team the rest of the year. 

Look at all the chances we had to win this game. As a whole Our defense was really good tonight. We just don’t put teams away. Somewhere around the 3:00 minute mark we were up by four. Iowa hadn’t scored in about five trips down the floor. Problem we didn’t either. In fact we only got two shots off. To blocked shots and unforced turn over . Missed at least 5 free throws in the last 5 minutes of that game. That’s always the issue with this group. I did love the effort in this game. Just need a couple more gamers. I survived those two awful years watching Newkirk, hoping this is the last year I have to watch Green. His best thing tonight was an air ball three that Jake grabs an puts in before the shot clock goes off. Even his effort was better tonight! Just isn’t a good player. 

Few thoughts. Probably already posted by others. But 5 scorers in double figures is very, very positive. Romeo logging 44 minutes is pretty impressive. Just wish he had some more help around him. Liked our effort, resolve and fight for most of the game.....if we played like that as a group all season we wouldn't be in this situation.

No way to sugar coat it. 6/27 from 3, 12/22 from FT Line along with 2-3 very questionable calls cost us the game. I only make issue of the calls because our margin for victory is so thin we can't absorb bad calls like deeper teams can.

Losses like this one can now join the group of (@ Maryland, Home with Iowa, Ohio St, and Purdue, and more than likely at Rutgers/Northwestern) where if we had just 1 shooter (Hunter or someone else) the outcome is different. Instead of 4-12 we would be 11-5.

Edit-Wanted to add this. Lamont Simpson was just brutal. Not much Archie can do with those guys. I mean when RP was calling timeout for 4 straight seconds and Lamont had his whistle in his pie hole....was just brutal. That was only 1 of about 4 his bald a-- screwed up. My apologies. I've edited the edit 4x. No way to sugar coat Lamont.

7 hours ago, GoshenFan84 said:

See edit to original comment. I was making fun of those that's say pack line of a bad defense

I would suggest that the 'defense we played last night didn't look much like the pack line we have been playing. We pressured the ball outside and tried to make it difficult to shoot or enter the ball into the post.  This is exactly what it takes.

I'm kind of surprised at how many people are still down on this team. We played a really good game last night, and were excellent defensively. We lost because of (1) free throws, (2) Bohannon threw in a bunch of ridiculous garbage, and (3) Romeo made a really poor decision at the end of regulation. I haven't the slightest idea how you blame Archie when they've got a guy who falls down in the lane, throws it up, and it still goes in, on top of Bohannon's shots at the end. He hit 4 contested 3s, and made all 4. Hitting half of those shots would have been impressive and he made all of them with a hand in his face every time, so just let that sink in a bit. 

With respect to Romeo, that's simply the worst shot/play he could have done in that situation, plain and simple. You can take that step back jumper from the FT line just as easily, and it's a higher percentage shot. At the least, force a defensive rotation once you blow by their big. I think more than Bohannon's ridiculousness, that frustrated me the most. But, that being said, this team has played good ball the last two games and has nothing to show for it, and if those two games are wins, we're still right in the hunt for the NCAA tournament. That's rough. On the plus side, we're also playing well enough to make a big run in the BTT.

Dunno. I get the frustration, but I had very few complaints with our play last night. We also have to be leading the country in contested shots made, especially from distance. Jeez.

6 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm kind of surprised at how many people are still down on this team. We played a really good game last night, and were excellent defensively. We lost because of (1) free throws, (2) Bohannon threw in a bunch of ridiculous garbage, and (3) Romeo made a really poor decision at the end of regulation. I haven't the slightest idea how you blame Archie when they've got a guy who falls down in the lane, throws it up, and it still goes in, on top of Bohannon's shots at the end. He hit 4 contested 3s, and made all 4. Hitting half of those shots would have been impressive and he made all of them with a hand in his face every time, so just let that sink in a bit. 

With respect to Romeo, that's simply the worst shot/play he could have done in that situation, plain and simple. You can take that step back jumper from the FT line just as easily, and it's a higher percentage shot. At the least, force a defensive rotation once you blow by their big. I think more than Bohannon's ridiculousness, that frustrated me the most. But, that being said, this team has played good ball the last two games and has nothing to show for it, and if those two games are wins, we're still right in the hunt for the NCAA tournament. That's rough. On the plus side, we're also playing well enough to make a big run in the BTT.

Dunno. I get the frustration, but I had very few complaints with our play last night. We also have to be leading the country in contested shots made, especially from distance. Jeez.

Maybe I should go back and read the comments....or maybe not. If we play that type of game all conference season long our story is much, much different. Shouldn't be a ton of negative about last night. Season sure but not last night. 

Romeo is still 6th in the CBS mock draft.  I am amazed.  He is a very good freshman, but I am not sure he has ever been the best player on the court in any game IU played this year. Future lottery picks take over college games. Romeo hasn't even come close to taking over a game this year.  

On the bright side I really think we have a very good point guard for the next three years. RP has not been the same since his concussion, but I saw enough early in the season to feel comfortable IU has a great point guard for the near future.

I loved the effort of the entire team the last couple of games.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Maybe I should go back and read the comments....or maybe not. If we play that type of game all conference season long our story is much, much different. Shouldn't be a ton of negative about last night. Season sure but not last night. 

Got up this am and read through the whole thread - it's possible that the negative ones stuck out to me more, or maybe it was the shock of someone being ridiculous enough to blame Archie for this loss. Bohannon's shots would have been impressive for Steph Curry. Sometimes the other teams make plays and there's not much you can do about it. We just seem to have an extraordinary high number of those going against us this year.

Just now, Chad B said:

Romeo is still 6th in the CBS mock draft.  I am amazed.  He is a very good freshman, but I am not sure he has ever been the best player on the court in any game IU played this year. Future lottery picks take over college games. Romeo hasn't even come close to taking over a game this year.  

On the bright side I really think we have a very good point guard for the next three years. RP has not been the same since his concussion, but I saw enough early in the season to feel comfortable IU has a great point guard for the near future.

I loved the effort of the entire team the last couple of games.

To those saying that Romeo isn't a lottery pick - frankly, that just shows a lack of understanding of how the NBA works. They don't care that much about how guys do in college, as long as they're not complete disasters. The NBA drafts on potential, and Romeo has a ton of it. His outside shot will certainly get better, he's completely blowing by people when he drives, and he's one of the better finishers around the rim. His raw skills are very, very similar to Kobe's at the same age. 

Agreed on the rest of your post. RP looked fantastic last night, back to how he was playing at the start of the year.

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Few thoughts. Probably already posted by others. But 5 scorers in double figures is very, very positive. Romeo logging 44 minutes is pretty impressive. Just wish he had some more help around him. Liked our effort, resolve and fight for most of the game.....if we played like that as a group all season we wouldn't be in this situation.

No way to sugar coat it. 6/27 from 3, 12/22 from FT Line along with 2-3 very questionable calls cost us the game. I only make issue of the calls because our margin for victory is so thin we can't absorb bad calls like deeper teams can.

Losses like this one can now join the group of (@ Maryland, Home with Iowa, Ohio St, and Purdue, and more than likely at Rutgers/Northwestern) where if we had just 1 shooter (Hunter or someone else) the outcome is different. Instead of 4-12 we would be 11-5.

Edit-Wanted to add this. Lamont Simpson was just brutal. Not much Archie can do with those guys. I mean when RP was calling timeout for 4 straight seconds and Lamont had his whistle in his pie hole....was just brutal. That was only 1 of about 4 his bald a-- screwed up. My apologies. I've edited the edit 4x. No way to sugar coat Lamont.

I don’t know how they didn’t over turn that call they reviewed at the end. The ball came off Iowa player leg. 

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

I don’t know how they didn’t over turn that call they reviewed at the end. The ball came off Iowa player leg. 

Yep. It's funny when watching a game you can anticipate 2-3 calls coming not because of anything logical just some strange sort of emotional response the officials feel the need to balance things out in their head. That call off the leg should have been made in real time let alone not overturning it in replay. Just gets tiring.

That's the thing about tournament. I'll use Purdue for an example. They can have a good to great season all year long. They get the wrong officiating crew in 1st round of tourney who hasn't officiated Hairms or Carsen all year long....and they could be on the pine in 4 minutes changing a game completely. At the very least I'd like for the officials to be made available to press afterwards. They impact games. Why shouldn't we hear these idiots speak. 

In the aftermath of this recent loss, it has become clear that what this team needs as much as the five star players like TJD and Brooks is a lights out shooter.  Jordan Bohannon proved just that last night. I know that if Phinisee makes the second free throw we would not be enduring yet another loss but Bohannon erased a lot of miscues on Iowa’s part and IU currently does not have that on this team. 

8 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Anyway, I was happy with the 'drastic changes' tonight. We played hard, played with some energy, and didn't play timid. They've done everything that I've called them out for. 

Sure you are. Not about hiding and sulking. All about redemption. 

7 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

'Being for the team' makes you immune to criticism? Al and Rob made countless mistakes tonight. Yet, neither have been mentioned or called out. Rob shoots like 30% but that's cool right?

Rob needs to strap em up and grow a pair every time that kid turns around and stubs his toe he is out of the game. Do we have men or baby boys on the floor. 

Archived