Iowa Postgame Thread

10 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I would retweet it to,hes probably proud of the fact he hit a shot within 5 feet of the basket for once.

Smith tweeting his dunk after a heart breaking OT loss that night put the nail in the coffin of our season tells me all I need to know about him. Either grossly immature or not an athlete that values winning at the top, or both. Give me a break. Someone teach this guy how to act like an athlete.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BADGERVOL said:

I didn’t think I used any stats? So not sure how I picked the ones that favored me and dropped the ones I didn’t. I didn’t use any. I wasn’t trying to compare stats because I know each team is so different. I’ve said multiple times now I’m trying to compare actual SKILLS vs SKILLS. And would love input on that. I got some from some people. Got some in your post. Thanks

Semantics. You compared their rebounding, and said you don't see either having an advantage. Romeo averaged 2 more per game. You said shooting by a mile for EJ. Romeo shoots better within the arc. Skills? Romeo's to the rim scoring is immediately next-level. He's right there with EJ. But their games are different. EJ was an explosive, athletic force to the rim. Romeo is a smooth, fluid scorer to the rim. Different, but frankly at least equally effective. You think EJ had better skills? OK.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Watch it again, he completely relaxed. Bohannon passed the ball and faked a cut down the lane. Devonte straightened up and turned his head and got completely turned around. Inexcusable in that situation when defending that player. 

Agree that you never leave a shooter.  I remeber him drop stepping and recovering on the hesitation move.  

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Agree that you never leave a shooter.  I remeber him drop stepping and recovering on the hesitation move.  

It is more than leaving a shooter, it was leaving THAT shooter.  Ya know, the best outside marksman in the conference.

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I think we’re talking about different plays. I’m talking about the three to tie it in regulation. The one I’m talking about, Green got completely lost and Langford had to leave his man to recover on Bohannon. Yes, it was still a tough shot that Bohannon made, but if Green is locked in then Bohannon doesn’t get the ball back, or if he does it’s going away from the basket. 

11 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Smith tweeting his dunk after a heart breaking OT loss that night put the nail in the coffin of our season tells me all I need to know about him. Either grossly immature or not an athlete that values winning at the top, or both. Give me a break. Someone teach this guy how to act like an athlete.

On a positive side at least he held onto the ball. He makes Uwe Blaab look like a golden glover!

2 minutes ago, rico said:

It is more than leaving a shooter, it was leaving THAT shooter.  Ya know, the best outside marksman in the conference.

No doubt about it.  My point is that he never stopped playing, that paints a different picture.  He didn't execute his job and it happened to be against the one kid you dont leave a 1/8 crack to.

Not saying anything else was wrong with the statement.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think we’re talking about different plays. I’m talking about the three to tie it in regulation. The one I’m talking about, Green got completely lost and Langford had to leave his man to recover on Bohannon. Yes, it was still a tough shot that Bohannon made, but if Green is locked in then Bohannon doesn’t get the ball back, or if he does it’s going away from the basket. 

I hope Green finds greener pastures next year. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes, im talking about the clincher in ot

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Yes, im talking about the clincher in ot

Then I agree with you on that play. I’m talking about the 3 to tie the game in regulation. He completely relaxed, which got him turned around, and allowed Bohannon to get free. Just unexceptable in that situation. 

29 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I think the writing is on the wall - Barring drastic changes I don’t think there’s a future for Smith on this team. 

Even if we had gone into the game 9-6 in the B1G instead of 4-11, we would have been underdogs.  We were on the road and Iowa is a good team.  To blame Archie for this loss is absolutely silly. 

12-22 at the line cost us the game.  Romeo taking a bad shot at the end of regulation eliminated any chance to squeak out a victory anyway.  There was no way we were going to win in overtime.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm the first half when green was at the line for 3 shots he hit the first one.  

The second one looked liked he missed on purpose.  What was that?  Then he barely tried on the 3rd.  

Anyone else see this?

Somebody mentioned something in the game thread about it I do believe.  I missed the shots.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I think the writing is on the wall - Barring drastic changes I don’t think there’s a future for Smith on this team. 

Unfortunately I think he and his dad will assume its all the coaches fault. But his problems, most of all between his ears, will prevent him from ever becoming anything in the NBA and probably even overseas.

This season is just so monumentally frustrating, it kills trying to see this game objectively. Myself included. Stepping back, the team fought hard on the road against a good Iowa team and could have won it but lost, again, on poor free throw shooting, and an absence of shooting / offensive depth. 

On a positive note, second game in a row of strong, hard fought effort.

10 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

We lost.  It sucks but Archie cost us this one.  He's not going any whereywhere for another year or so so we'd better get used to it.

Please enlighten us to what Archie did to lose this game for us, Like I said before you need to just stay with your brothers over at rivals.  By the way I signed off of my rivals subscription because I am just tired of those idiots over there that couldn't see a positive in an undefeated season.

31 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

His drive to the right is the only thing that remotely compares to Kobe as 19 year olds.  The athleticism of Kobe was another level beyond next level.  He had killer instincts, could go left or right,  fadeaway was almost already perfected.  The athleticism and chip puts him on a whole other level.  Here's some 19 year old Kobe.  Its not close and is setting people up for another let down.  I have seen drastic improvement of Romeo bringing the ball up the court but as someone mike wells quoted on the nba level, he goes right 90% of the time.  He'll keep improving, I'm not ready to call a ceiling or call a bust bit I think the breaks need pumped.  

Look, I'm not saying that his skills are the exact same as Kobe at this point. Plus, he definitely doesn't have the mentality that Kobe does, that killer instinct that Jordan had as well. I'm simply saying that he has a similar skillset on a different level, particularly the ability to drive and finish, and that's all scouts need to see for him to be a lottery pick. 

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Why are you so emotionally unstable? It is completely possible to be critical of this staff and team and still think we got screwed tonight. If you think losing in overtime to a ranked team means our coach sucks, no matter how good our team is, you probably aren't capable of a rational opinion. 

No he is just use to the rivals mentality that he really does not understand the game.  Their mentality is it is always the coaches fault of the AD fault when your team loses

9 hours ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Got home late and just finished watching. Another gut shot for this team.

Some self inflicted (offensive rebounding remains a complete struggle)....and then Bohannon heaving ridiculous shot after shot down the stretch to take advantage of our inability to put the game away when we had the chance.

Our offense was once again was just painful to watch at key points. We have a lottery pick who appears trained to throw the ball around the perimeter most of his touches ( at least before the last minutes of the game) rather than attacking or shooting consistently. Most possessions ended with a forced shot, too often from the perimeter. We shot 6/27 (22%) from deep.....27 of our 63 shots came from beyond the arch (42%).....we shot 42% overall from the field......and we went 12/22 (54%) from the the foul line. This team simply struggles to shoot the ball and find ways to get easy shots out of this offense. Some of it is poor execution offesively: slow entry into the offense, passing the ball around the perimeter with merely a glance at passing options, not enough players confident enough to shoot, no cohesiveness on pick and roll to get the ball to the screener, inability to execute simple passes or hand off situations on the perimeter.

The reality is this team simply can't shoot the ball, which limits our ability to score inside. Teams have figured out how to guard us by clogging the middle and Morgan (our best interior threat) constantly takes himself out of games by lowering his hands and fouling defensively. 

On a positive note, I really liked seeing Race/Jake hit the boards and play defense with effort and athleticism in the first half. It was easy to tell those kids bring a different level of athleticism to the line up. I hope they (and Cliff) get more minutes to close out the year and gain some experience. This year is shot. Develop the youth. 

I thought for the most part that the offense got good shots but just missed a lot of wide open shots.  the only time I really saw us struggle was in the first half when they went to the zone for the first time.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought for the most part that the offense got good shots but just missed a lot of wide open shots.  the only time I really saw us struggle was in the first half when they went to the zone for the first time.

Yeah, IU looked in disarray until Fitz figured it out.

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Some final thoughts on this game:

- Free throw shooting.  This could have made all other factors moot.  There are rare exceptions, but I'm certain any player can be a good FT shooter if they put forth the time and effort.  There can be nights where your shot is just off a hair or you're getting cruel bounces, but how many missed shots have we seen this year that were closer to air balls than nothing but net?  The two Al missed after being fouled on the steal/fast break were just bad shots.  Screw the sandbox drills - spend that time shooting a couple of hundred FTs instead.

- Romeo.  From all accounts, a good kid.  Really good player for a freshman.  If he were a senior playing as he has, I don't think he'd be highly regarded however.  I understand that the NBA is a completely different animal compared to NCAA ball, but it's still hard to believe a college player that almost never has dominated a game is going to be a future savior for a pro team, and let's face it - a lottery pick is supposed to be an impact player.  If I'm a fan of a NBA team, paying the exorbitant prices they charge for tickets, I'm not going to be satisfied with my crappy lottery pick team selecting and paying a guy that doesn't improve the record (and not just 2 or 3 years from now).  Another observation is that Romeo has yet to deliver in crunch time.  Thinking back to last years H.S. championship game, he did receive some criticism for his play in the last minute or two of that game when Warren Central came back and beat his team.  In a perfect world, Romeo would spend another season (or two, or whatever it takes) shoring up the weaknesses in his game.  But the NBA with the megabucks involved, destroys that logic.

- Bright spots.  As I commented after the game, I think Race acquitted himself quite well.  He was active on defense (almost hyper compared to a couple of other previous starters) and had a positive impact on the game.  He still is a little shaky on offense with the ball in his hands, but considering this was like his 3rd game as a college player, overall very encouraging effort.  Fitzner was productive on offense, not spectacular, but definitely an asset.  Rob P was a very good freshman PG in this game.  I love that he's shown the ability to get to the rim.  I hate that he's not so good at finishing the layup or floater, but getting there is the hard part and I think he'll improve as time goes by.

- Effort.  The team didn't lose because of effort or intensity.  That hasn't been the case for most of our losses.  Lack of size and poor shooting are just a couple of this teams fatal flaws.

- The roster.  I prefer to stay away from suggesting players by name should or will be gone after the season.  I do believe it's likely that at least one of our current players who has gotten significant playing time will transfer.  Also, trying to not come out and name names, I'll say that a player who's not a freshman and hasn't lost time due to injury who can't even get in the game at this point in the season, is probably in over his head at this level.  Not a knock on such a player or his character, it just doesn't seem plausible that there will be much playing time for him here going forward.

- Finally.  I'm not predicting it, but how nice would it be to go on a run in the BT tourney and pay a couple of these teams back for the slop they hit against us in the regular season?

Remember Simmons and Fultz were both #1 picks and neither of their teams had winning records so the NBA doesn't care about how their college season went.

Archived