Iowa Postgame Thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Race actually had a couple nice passes after flashing as well. Unfortunately, not many of the open looks from three were made. Took awhile, but I would some good adjustments were made.

True, I really liked Race's performance.

Positives:

• When both Juwan and De'Ron sat due to having 2 fouls each, Race and Jake not only maintained but they actually outscored Iowa in the remaining 8 minutes of the first half
  • Evan and Rob both played like their non-conference selves
  • Juwan had a career high 6 blocks, and probably would have had more if calls went a certain way
  • Best rebounders last night? Romeo and Rob each had 7 boards a piece... 
  • Can't speak enough about Rob's lockdown defense... held Bohannon to 0 in the first half. We know too well what Jordan Bohannon can do.

Reality:

• Deep Big Ten tournament run or bust at this point. 

Indiana Loses to Iowa's Jordan Bohannon 70-76

De'Ron Davis, Rob Phinisee, and Archie Miller Reactions

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought for the most part that the offense got good shots but just missed a lot of wide open shots.  the only time I really saw us struggle was in the first half when they went to the zone for the first time.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah, IU looked in disarray until Fitz figured it out.

We were able to get the ball to Race at the free throw line several times before Archie put in Fitz. Race just seemed to panic with it like a freshman might. He is billed as a stretch big so he needs to shoot it in that situation or do something other than pass it back out to the top of the key. 

10 minutes ago, rico said:

True, I really liked Race's performance.

Very encouraged by Race. It’s an EXTREMELY small sample size, and of course losing Morgan is going to hurt, but you can see where Race has the ability to slide in and fill that role next season. Then you add TJD and a summer of healthy work for Davis, and I’m not real worried about our inside game next year. 

We’ve absolutely got to add a perimeter playmaker or two (maybe Brooks and Hunter?) and a shooter (McNeil or a grad transfer guard), and next year could be a solid improvement. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Very encouraged by Race. It’s an EXTREMELY small sample size, and of course losing Morgan is going to hurt, but you can see where Race has the ability to slide in and fill that role next season. Then you add TJD and a summer of healthy work for Davis, and I’m not real worried about our inside game next year. 

We’ve absolutely got to add a perimeter playmaker or two (maybe Brooks and Hunter?) and a shooter, and next year could be a solid improvement. 

To me next year might be better even if the talent level is not as high if we have  couple of additions by subtractions if you know what I mean.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Smith tweeting his dunk after a heart breaking OT loss that night put the nail in the coffin of our season tells me all I need to know about him. Either grossly immature or not an athlete that values winning at the top, or both. Give me a break. Someone teach this guy how to act like an athlete.

Instances such as this,... have really opened my eyes lately in regards to this teams complete 180 in recent weeks. 

IMHO, I continue to believe that Archie's hands were tied from the beginning and encouraged to "stay the course", per IU administration.  If it's true that Archie was denied release/transfer of players, then his fate was determined. 

Again, if all this behind the scenes APR crap IS true,...... against his better judgement, Archie did was he was asked to do and complied.  I feel Archie really tried to make it work, probably much longer than he should have, but he obviously reached his boiling point. The boiling point was the "drastic changes" proclamation. The coach in me hopes Archie took that proclamation to the A.D. and said, "Look, Mr. Glass, out of my respect for you as my boss and this university, I complied to your conditions. As you have witnessed, this season has been a disaster! I'm not anyone's puppet, nor will ever be. I will be making changes now AND at the end of the season."

It is quite clear, these last 3 games, how improved this team appears by adjusting the play of two specific players. I don't know why Archie couldn't have been taken care of this much sooner, but he obviously had his reasons. 

I like how we are trending up. l just hope that we can make a "drastic push" towards an almost impossible post season, starting Tuesday night.

Watched the game at a bar with a bunch of friends from college... I was the only one paying attention.  Told my girlfriend I wasn’t gonna get pissed when they lost again, and there I was yelling and cussing as Bohannon splashed all those ridiculous threes, lol.  

Oh well, nothing to be said that hasn’t already been said before.  Close but no cigar.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You're kind of making my point here. You have picked stats, ignoring the significant differences between the teams they played on and what help they had around them, and you go out of your way to slant the "stats" that favor Romeo. You want to make points that favor EJ, so you slant the stats. EJ was a great college player, and one of my favorites fwiw. He also had a much, much better team around him. Teams figured out that Romeo has a still developing outside game (which, btw, as scouts also have noticed, has been improving) and has basically no help other than Morgan, so they're swarming him. EJ did not play in the same situation, that's simply the reality. Btw, EJ's team also played a SOS of 6.08 vs. this year's team SOS of 10.74.

But within that reality, if you have to look at direct comparison stats to draw a conclusion, Romeo averages a full +2 rebounds per game. So you post you don't see either having an edge?Why argue on slanted stats or ignore those that cut against you? What's the point of that? You say EJ, shooting by a mile. On 2-point percentage, Romeo is at 55%, EJ shot 2's at 53% at IU. From the arc, EJ shot just under 34% on the season. That's not great 3-point shooting. It also was likely affected by his wrist injury, so it's not fair to compare directly, but while EJ is a good outside shooter, by no stretch of the imagination is he or was he ever a great outside shooter. EJ over his NBA career averages about 37%, he's just 32% this year, fwiw. Romeo, right now, is shooting only 27% from the arc -- again his shot has been improving over the past 10 or so games, and his shot form is very good, though. It's all about range. Vic shot in the 20's his soph year. Had the very same debates on here, people saying Vic can't shoot. Right. His junior year he shot in the 40s. His shot form was always there, the scouts saw it then too. He's now a better shooter than EJ, fwiw. No idea if Romeo will develop into a strong outside shooter -- could very well be a DeRozan - type scorer, not a bad thing, but I'd wager his outside shot will continue to improve as it already is.

The NBA scouts are paid to evaluate NBA potential, by and large, they know what they're doing, respectfully. 

As others have pointed out, Romeo has the wingspan, the smooth, fluid scoring game, an exceptional to-the-rim game, the athleticism, etc. that make him a lottery pick. He also has tremendous composure for a frosh. He's playing with the weight of Indiana expectation, on a team that is failing for lack of talent and confidence, and he's standing strong. Kid's a great player. He'll be fine in the League.

His outside shot has NOT been improving. Over his last 11 games he’s about 25% from beyond the arc. That’s about his season avg as well. Are you talking about form, etc? Bc they aren’t going in at any a higher rate than they were. This is why I think he’ll have it tough in the league. There is a lot of length in the league, but most of those guys can also light it up from deep.

*Edit: I thought he was 1-6 last night, but he was 2-6, so he’s at 29% over the past 11, which is around his season average. 

A couple of observations after watching the game this morning on the DVR...

We're a starkly better team with De'Ron Davis. Not only a low post presence on both ends, but you can kinda tell he's an emotional leader that everyone on the team likes and respects. If we can get some of the weight off him and improve his endurance, he can be very good for us next year. There were times against Iowa, you could see he was gassed.

I've always thought that Juwan Morgan and Robert Johnson from last year as well , as much as I like both guys, were better in  support roles than when they're asked to be "the man."  They could be in certain instances, but not consistently.

Our recognition of Iowa's varying defenses was terrible...Some of that I attribute to having young guards, but we didn't recognize the traps or the transition to the zone at all it seemed.

Race, while showing some moxie and hustle, was out of position on defense quite a bit. I still think he has more upside than Justin Smith.

I think Fitz got the message after riding the pine against Purdue. He DID recognize the defenses early, and got in the right position and hit some big shots. Problem is he's a defensive liability.

Romeo was good again, even though I didn't like the step back 3 decision either. But laying this game at his feet is idiotic.

Romeo needs a first step, which causes him trouble getting around his man. I think his left hand might be a little weak so he goes right a lot.  I think he has a nice shot. It looks pretty when it’s going on,  but the decision making holds him back some. He does have potential to be good at the next level. Floor will be spread out for him.  He is missing that killer instinct that all the stars have. It will be interesting to see if he can overcome that. With his length and ability to finish at the rim should keep him in the top 10 draft spots.

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous take. You can't say I haven't been critical of this team or this coach, but we got screwed tonight. 

The only thing worse than the guys who think IU can do no wrong are the guys who can never admit when we get screwed. 

I don't see what there is to admit! Show me one close game where the team that got hosed on a key call didn't miss opportunities to control the outcome themselves at some point prior. All I am saying here: 

If a team is controlling the things it can control it doesn't come down to the officials. 

I'm not saying the timing of a few calls wasn't horrible, and that there weren't some serious inconsistencies. Check, and check on those things, but a game comes down to what is done to prevent that scenario from being decisive- that can be done from both the sideline and on the floor. Period. As fans we have become obsessed with crunch time as well. And let that devalue the rest of the contest - many more subtle moments of significance towards a given outcome -  despite the fact that each play is it's own contest within a contest. 

I absolutely agree it was not all on Archie. It also wasn't just on Romeo for shooting instead of driving. or missed 3's or FTs alone. So I wish to go ahead and shut that talk down too. The truth is those are all things that added up and which individually the game could have came down to. Everything a team could have controlled in a win or a loss do a part in deciding the game . The only thing that changed over time is popular opinion on that ESPECIALLY given the egos fueling many sports opinions -  getting reality distorted. 

It's common reaction to single out standout clutch performances, as well as the inverse- singling out key mistakes.or mistake makers. Same with a coach having a duty managing egos and attitudes. I mean are the commonly presumed offending parties literally being impossible to work it out with because it is just them alone. Is the coach not failing to reach them and by leaving them out of the game plan basically admitting failure? For years now every time someone points the finger at one individual or another I think of the jelly doughnut scene in Full Metal Jacket.

Which gives way to my larger rant. with all due respect...

A team still wins and loses together whether they like it,  each other or not. That includes the coach. The NBA prospects , the walk-ons , anyone directly involved. Not my opinion since a coach gets a W or an L on their career record, and the program and all parts including team get the same result due to being part of the program/team. I don't see what is so hard to grasp about that concept when I see finger pointing at individuals on sports boards. Do individuals often detract from being in a better position for group success. Certainly. But it's equally true that for every failure in a team venture,  someone beside them failed their team  in some way at some point. Period! From the top down. 

Yes, players and coaches and even refs make obvious critical individual mistakes, but the teams win or lose together because the team either converted or missed opportunities together.  I have also never saw one single basketball game without a missed opportunity for both the the winning side and the losing side - ever that I can recall.. If so I need those highlights - which would basically be the entire game footage right? 

On every single possession there is literally an opportunity to get either a score or a stop an the entire team shares in that to whatever degree they rise to it....or not

And I'm willing to debate anyone who disagrees!  :) 

What these last few games have shown me has very little to do with shooting, rebounding, defense, etc.

I think that CAM has identified who is buying in and who isn’t. Playing time shows that with Smith and Moore. I think Green is getting the benefit of not having another alternative to Rob . For fear of completely running Rob into the ground or in giving Romeo yet another responsibility, Green is getting minutes, warts and all.

I also believe that these last few games can put an end to some of the nonsense that has posted here over the last few weeks, like:

- CAM is over his head 

- CAM doesn’t know how to coach higher level athletes 

And most importantly,

- CAM has lost this team.

What I saw last night was a group of kids playing their rear ends off. Not one bit of quit. Kids like Race who hasn’t been available much all year providing solid minutes. A kid like Fitzner who has been criticized all conference season to the point that it has been suggested by many that he never see the floor again, play a vital role. I saw kids that imo were proud to be wearing the pinstripes and who I was proud of.

Was/is it a perfect product on the floor? Of course not. But then again, it’s far from a perfect or even ideal roster. 

If nothing else, this week substantiated my belief that we are headed in the right direction 

If this team shoots 70% from the freethrow line the bad calls don't matter. We have very little margin for error and you throw a few really bad calls (which there were), a blown assignment or a couple bad shots and we lose. This is exactly what has happened to us. I am proud of the team the way they have played the last few games and I am excited going forward. Some guys are getting healthy which helps our depth and allows those that should not be playing to sit on the bench. Green would of been on the bench last night if Rob would not of gotten hurt. 

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What these last few games have shown me has very little to do with shooting, rebounding, defense, etc.

I think that CAM has identified who is buying in and who isn’t. Playing time shows that with Smith and Moore. I think Green is getting the benefit of not having another alternative to Rob . For fear of completely running Rob into the ground or in giving Romeo yet another responsibility, Green is getting minutes, warts and all.

I also believe that these last few games can put an end to some of the nonsense that has posted here over the last few weeks, like:

- CAM is over his head 

- CAM doesn’t know how to coach higher level athletes 

And most importantly,

- CAM has lost this team.

What I saw last night was a group of kids playing their rear ends off. Not one bit of quit. Kids like Race who hasn’t been available much all year providing solid minutes. A kid like Fitzner who has been criticized all conference season to the point that it has been suggested by many that he never see the floor again, play a vital role. I saw kids that imo were proud to be wearing the pinstripes and who I was proud of.

Was/is it a perfect product on the floor? Of course not. But then again, it’s far from a perfect or even ideal roster. 

If nothing else, this week substantiated by belief that we are headed in the right direction 

I agree. They are just not executing well enough . It's not exact science. They are doing things, and have more they can do . I was certainly proud to have watched them.Even with more to be desired. I like the direction as well. Adversity either either makes you or breaks you. 

This leads to the other important point. Multiple narratives can coexist at the same time and none be any more or less valid than the others. Which lends to the fact more can change in the right direction and still not be in the right place to get desired results. which is why jumping to conclusions about players and teams with games remaining isn't my cup of tea. 

Watching UT and LSU and the thing I noticed is that those teams shot with confidence and don't hesitate shooting when open.  The thing I think is the most important when talking about shooting is confidence and we just don't have that when shooting.  It seems when we catch the ball we hesitate before shooting and the good shooters catch the ball ready to shoot.

Scott . Also Possibly another factor  The game is "moving at different speeds" for different kids due to continuing change in the playing rotation still partially at the root of it. - even this late. Race for example has played 3 games now. Evan had sat until recently. DeRon,McBob, and Rob were among guys battling back to form. Forrester and Anderson have played somewhat sparse minutes. 

Positives for the team depth and other specific areas in getting kids back and back to form, but still amounts a yet another change to the chemistry -  with emerging new on court combinations and with arguably more adjustments to that to make/ be made still.Keep this group of available kids intact and fighting on , and the remaining games and BTT could still get interesting. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watching UT and LSU and the thing I noticed is that those teams shot with confidence and don't hesitate shooting when open.  The thing I think is the most important when talking about shooting is confidence and we just don't have that when shooting.  It seems when we catch the ball we hesitate before shooting and the good shooters catch the ball ready to shoot.

Agree. This is where I felt bad for Phinisee last night. Yes, he did take a few bad, rushed perimeter shots in the second half when we had a chance to pull away, but the bright side was he wasn’t hesitating, he took them confidently. It’s just too bad a couple didn’t drop. Last night was close to being the “Phinisee game”. The game where he officially takes control of this offense/team and his confidence begins to soar. 

Unfortunately, they just didn’t drop. If 1-2 of those three’s drop and he hits another layup or two, which he’s capable of, his confid nice would just skyrocket. 

But back to your original point, he at least didn’t hesitate and took those shots in rhythem and confidently.  

3 hours ago, rbkl said:

Positives:

• When both Juwan and De'Ron sat due to having 2 fouls each, Race and Jake not only maintained but they actually outscored Iowa in the remaining 8 minutes of the first half
  • Evan and Rob both played like their non-conference selves
  • Juwan had a career high 6 blocks, and probably would have had more if calls went a certain way
  • Best rebounders last night? Romeo and Rob each had 7 boards a piece... 
  • Can't speak enough about Rob's lockdown defense... held Bohannon to 0 in the first half. We know too well what Jordan Bohannon can do.

Reality:

• Deep Big Ten tournament run or bust at this point. 

Indiana Loses to Iowa's Jordan Bohannon 70-76

De'Ron Davis, Rob Phinisee, and Archie Miller Reactions

I wonder still, call me the nutjob optimist, but could this be IU’s year to finally surprise in the BTT? We are playing better, against top teams. We do look like it could happen. On the other hand our shooting deficiencies are clear. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Next year will be far improved with new recruits, another year under Archie’s system and addition by subtraction 

I hope so, but am less sure. I’m an optimist on IU, but we need shooting and more length and another stud baller or 2. Losing Morgan and most likely Romeo is a big hit. Getting Hunter back could be major, he can shoot and score. Having a Soph Rob will be good. Who else will play on ball? Still a lot of question marks 

Archived