Iowa Postgame Thread

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

I hope so, but am less sure. I’m an optimist on IU, but we need shooting and more length and another stud baller or 2. Losing Morgan and most likely Romeo is a big hit. Getting Hunter back could be major, he can shoot and score. Having a Soph Rob will be good. Who else will play on ball? Still a lot of question marks 

Can a healthy Hunter and Thompson add that?  Both can stretch the floor and have size.  

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wonder still, call me the nutjob optimist, but could this be IU’s year to finally surprise in the BTT? We are playing better, against top teams. We do look like it could happen. On the other hand our shooting deficiencies are clear. 

I think there's a decent chance of a run. The way we've played the last two games, particularly defensively, shows that we can beat anyone in the B1G. It sucks that we're likely to be playing on the first night, though - that's an extra night of games that's likely to take a toll. Not a fan of the double bye at all.

6 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What these last few games have shown me has very little to do with shooting, rebounding, defense, etc.

I think that CAM has identified who is buying in and who isn’t. Playing time shows that with Smith and Moore. I think Green is getting the benefit of not having another alternative to Rob . For fear of completely running Rob into the ground or in giving Romeo yet another responsibility, Green is getting minutes, warts and all.

I also believe that these last few games can put an end to some of the nonsense that has posted here over the last few weeks, like:

- CAM is over his head 

- CAM doesn’t know how to coach higher level athletes 

And most importantly,

- CAM has lost this team.

What I saw last night was a group of kids playing their rear ends off. Not one bit of quit. Kids like Race who hasn’t been available much all year providing solid minutes. A kid like Fitzner who has been criticized all conference season to the point that it has been suggested by many that he never see the floor again, play a vital role. I saw kids that imo were proud to be wearing the pinstripes and who I was proud of.

Was/is it a perfect product on the floor? Of course not. But then again, it’s far from a perfect or even ideal roster. 

If nothing else, this week substantiated my belief that we are headed in the right direction 

I agree with this, but we have to find shooters for next year or there won’t be a HUGE difference next year IMO. 

7 hours ago, Cutter said:

When Archie was hired in one of his early press conference he stated in year 2 of his blueprint there will be a lot of transfers saying there just is that is how it works

Huh?  He stated in year 2 there would be a lot of transfers?  Can someone find some audio of this?  I'm not sure something like that wouldn't have become public after all the speculation and talk and losing that has went on in the last 2 months.  

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I hope so, but am less sure. I’m an optimist on IU, but we need shooting and more length and another stud baller or 2. Losing Morgan and most likely Romeo is a big hit. Getting Hunter back could be major, he can shoot and score. Having a Soph Rob will be good. Who else will play on ball? Still a lot of question marks 

Pending health next year, I see Rob playing 30-35 minutes every game then Al filling in behind that. Al will get some run at the off guard spots as well and could definitely start again. 

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing about UT I like is when they drive they don't always take it all the way to the basket but will pull up and take the 12-15 shot especially Schofeld.

Scott,  I think you and I are on the same page, you can't  live on mid range jumpers, but i think you need a couple every game to beat good teams and keep the defense from waiting at the rim.  Romeo got two charges on plays where he could have easily pulled up. He's normally great at that. Al was doing very well at this early in the year but has struggled lately. Rob has to get to the point where he can as well.

Few points about the next few games:

1.  There is always the possibility that the team could go on a run.  I don't think that is going to happen, but if they got their stuff together for the last few games, a run is possible.

2.  Reality is that we probably are not going to go on a huge run, so what I would like to see is a situation where some players, namely the guys coming back, are in position to start regaining some confidence that has been lost this year.  We are not the best shooting team in the world (obviously) but I also do not believe that we are as bad of a shooting team as we have been.

3.  When the offseason comes, let's try and temper our expectations a little bit whenever we get a piece of good news.  Even if we land every dream recruit we have coming in, after this year, the expectation should just be around 20 wins.  

4.  I have been really hard on Miller and the team this year.  I am still convinced that there were internal things that went on this year that hurt the team and Miller did not handle it well...he may not even have known how to handle it as he may have never experienced the issue as a player or coach.  The staff needs to get better and this type of year (or anything remotely close to it) cannot happen again.  That said, I am making an effort to stop piling on.  I think Miller is coaching for his job through the end of next year, the criticisms have been spoken and now I am going to try and temper that knee jerk response.  I really like Miller's demeanor and if he is willing to change some things I think he can have some success.  I hope he gets it done.

5.  I still want a change at the A.D. and I hope MCRobbie leaves when his contract are up.

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Pending health next year, I see Rob playing 30-35 minutes every game then Al filling in behind that. Al will get some run at the off guard spots as well and could definitely start again. 

Al is the ideal 1st guard off the bench. Not a super elite talent, but can play either guard position pretty well.

29 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Al is the ideal 1st guard off the bench. Not a super elite talent, but can play either guard position pretty well.

Totally agree. I don't hate it if he does have to start at off guard next year, buy would love for him to get 25 MPG off the bench. 

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Did Archie draw up a play at the end of the game and Romeo didn’t do it, or was there no play other than get it in Romeo’s hands and let him do something ?

None of us were in the huddle, but the he got the ball in Romeo's hands guarded by Garza. I hope Archie told him to drive it and Romeo was just gun shy for fear of a charge.

22 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

None of us were in the huddle, but the he got the ball in Romeo's hands guarded by Garza. I hope Archie told him to drive it and Romeo was just gun shy for fear of a charge.

I hope so too. Beyond what you said about the charging call, I had 2 other thoughts when I watched the play. Garza is a pretty athletic big who would have been hard to get a step on, and that late in the game I know from experience that it's easier to put up a jumper than drive to the hoop when you're tired and your legs are a little wobbly.

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hope so too. Beyond what you said about the charging call, I had 2 other thoughts when I watched the play. Garza is a pretty athletic big who would have been hard to get a step on, and that late in the game I know from experience that it's easier to put up a jumper than drive to the hoop when you're tired and your legs are a little wobbly.

Victor Oladipo certainly does it all the time for the Pacers, so you are probably on to something.

39 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Did Archie draw up a play at the end of the game and Romeo didn’t do it, or was there no play other than get it in Romeo’s hands and let him do something ?

Seems like that’s the only “play” in our arsenal in late game situations lately... Been frustrating to watch.

4 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Shades of Damezi Anderson talk last year. I think we need to relax our expectations of freshmen. 

Anderson obviously didnt play both ends.  Just saying I think Franklin will surprise people... 

And with what we have leaving and coming back.  The freshmen will need to play.. thats why we are still looking at shooting guards

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Anderson obviously didnt play both ends.  Just saying I think Franklin will surprise people... 

And with what we have leaving and coming back.  The freshmen will need to play.. thats why we are still looking at shooting guards

Didnt Anderson score something like 3/6 points in one of the high school playoff games?  

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Why obviously? Anderson played defense in high school but defending BIG guards and wings is a different story. Let’s not change history because Damezi hasn’t made an impact at IU yet. Franklin will most likely have the same struggles his first year. 

8 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Why obviously? Anderson played defense in high school but defending BIG guards and wings is a different story. Let’s not change history because Damezi hasn’t made an impact at IU yet. Franklin will most likely have the same struggles his first year. 

Obviously!  Anderson in my opinion wasnt coached well in high school..  its not his effort!  He tries, but had a very low defensive  IQ.  He struggled with the concept more than who he was guarding

I think Anderson has improved from the small amount weve seen lately.   But still not where he needs to be

Franklin very well could struggle, but most freshman are going to be ahead of where Anderson was

4 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Obviously!  Anderson in my opinion wasnt coached well in high school..  its not his effort!  He tries, but had a very low defensive  IQ.  He struggled with the concept more than who he was guarding

I think Anderson has improved from the small amount weve seen lately.   But still not where he needs to be

Franklin very well could struggle, but most freshman are going to be ahead of where Anderson was

That is why I wish we could have gotten Aaron Henry over Anderson because he has a very high basketball IQ and knows ow to play to is strengths.

Archived