Iowa Postgame Thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone complaining about this team tonight are only being a troll and if you can't see the improvement over the last couple of games.  You have seen Archie trying different things and playing different players so he is trying everything to win a game.  Also if RP did not go out of the game in the last 3 minutes of O with his foot injury we might have won the game.

.Bohannon going crazy against IU makes me sick to my stomach.  Bohannon going crazy like that against any other team, and I say "that's what makes college basketball so great". 

You have to tip your hat to the kid.  I said after the last iowa game how I wished we had guys like Bohannon and Cook.  Honestly, I think I would take them over any other pair in the Big Ten.  

( my original post disappeared, or at least I  think it did, so if I am repeating myself, sorry)

I was in 4th grade in 1984. Parents had an ugly divorce, and I discovered basketball as something to be interested in. I really got endeared to IU when they beat UNC, and my mother was able to borrow money so I could go to New Albany basketball camp, so I could meet Steve Alford, who came to speak to us. I was hooked on IU basketBall, and then came the ‘85-86 season, the season on the brink. At 12 years old, I was devastated that IU made the NIT. Devastated. ( A Mike Vanderjagt missed field goal aside) I have not been this disappointed by sports since then. I have never seen such bad luck- but that’s just it. It’s NOT bad luck. It’s what bad teams do- they find ways to lose games. There is a psychology to sports, and you could FEEL that Bohannon was going to get hot. You could feel the pressure mount on these kids every misssed bunny and free throw. It’s in their head. This far eclipses the way I felt at 12 years old. The reason I have regressed to my childhood is because I am now 45, and understand this psychological aspect, and know fully that this team is FAR BETTER than their record will show. This shall henceforth be called the Nightmare Season. This team is in a bizarro world. I am looking for Biff Tannen to become the world’s richest man. We are in an alternate universe. 

Having said that, I am pulled in to watch the train wreck, and GO IU!!

Also most of the game I was pleased on how the team responded to Iowa's runs where we hit some big shots especially from RP and Romeo.  I think there are some positives to look at for next year with RP and Davis and if Hunter can come back those are three good players to build around.  I also think guys like Foreester and Thompson with a whole off season ill come back better next year.  If we can get a couple of more good recruits next year who can shoot and the team keeps playing really good defense then I think next year could be pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Ok chief, thanks. The point of my original post was that the step back 3 was the wrong shot and he should have driven for a layup or foul. That’s it. 

No that’s not it.  You also said the loss falls on Romeo.  I take exception to that statement.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

.Bohannon going crazy against IU makes me sick to my stomach.  Bohannon going crazy like that against any other team, and I say "that's what makes college basketball so great". 

You have to tip your hat to the kid.  I said after the last iowa game how I wished we had guys like Bohannon and Cook.  Honestly, I think I would take them over any other pair in the Big Ten.  

He's a good player and a very good shooter. But against IU, it goes way beyond that - he turns into Steph Curry. Like you said, fun to watch unless it's against your team.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

There are two indisputable things about this game.

• IU lost the game at the foul line
  • Romeo took a bad shot at the end of regulation.

You simply can't argue against those two truths.  I think everything else is up for discussion.

Romeo did something similar against MSU if I’m remembering the right game. He has to take it to the rim there. 

My takes.....

Great effort two games in a row

Solid D again

Mind boggling shot from Langford at the end, missed free throw... seems to clamp up in tight ones.

Much better team when JS and DG are on the bench.

Impressed with Race’s minutes. Think he’ll be a solid player for us.

We are who we thought we were....can’t shoot, but still had a chance bc Iowa shot it so bad. 

Man, are we unlucky!

With that said, FTs cost us the game. Pitiful.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Anyone complaining about this team tonight are only being a troll and if you can't see the improvement over the last couple of games.  You have seen Archie trying different things and playing different players so he is trying everything to win a game.  Also if RP did not go out of the game in the last 3 minutes of O with his foot injury we might have won the game.

National Moral Victory Chanps?

We lose another game because Archie doesn’t prepare his team to do 1 of the keys to closing out games. Shoot FTs

Just now, CrimsonV said:

No that’s not it.  You also said the loss falls on Romeo.  I take exception to that statement.

Correct, but I later rescinded that and stated it was lost at the FT line but his shot was a poor decision. I get it, I don’t read all the posts either and it’s all good, I was just ticked the minute after but of course he didn’t lose the game for us. I still didn’t like the shot but what can you do? Thought this team fought hard the last 2 games, just hate that they have nothing to show for it 

5 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Ok chief, thanks. The point of my original post was that the step back 3 was the wrong shot and he should have driven for a layup or foul. That’s it. 

He wasn't getting a layup. Everyone knows he can't really shoot, we don't have floor spacing around him, and we had him just stand up top and dribble for 20 sec with everyone else standing still. The entire Iowa team was packed into the lane and watching the ball.

Could he have driven and drawn a foul, maybe. But there was no way he was getting to the rim. That is the entire problem with this roster and his season. Romeo is an elite rim finisher who doesn't get much of a chance to do it because he and his teammates are not threats to shoot.

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

National Moral Victory Chanps?

We lose another game because Archie doesn’t prepare his team to do 1 of the keys to closing out games. Shoot FTs

Nobody likes losing but I can't help you if you can't see the improvement because you just don't understand the game.

2 minutes ago, Shooter said:

He wasn't getting a layup. Everyone knows he can't really shoot, we don't have floor spacing around him, and we had him just stand up top and dribble for 20 sec with everyone else standing still. The entire Iowa team was packed into the lane and watching the ball.

Could he have driven and drawn a foul, maybe. But there was no way he was getting to the rim. That is the entire problem with this roster and his season. Romeo is an elite rim finisher who doesn't get much of a chance to do it because he and his teammates are not threats to shoot.

You’re right, probably not a layup but at least a 12 foot jumper. Something higher percentage than what we got. 

2 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Correct, but I later rescinded that and stated it was lost at the FT line but his shot was a poor decision. I get it, I don’t read all the posts either and it’s all good, I was just ticked the minute after but of course he didn’t lose the game for us. I still didn’t like the shot but what can you do? Thought this team fought hard the last 2 games, just hate that they have nothing to show for it 

Wishy washy at its best.  I get it.  It’s frustrating to watch.  There is no question.

Archived