Wisconsin Pregame Thread

I do believe that De'ron is the key in this game. Juwan, Justin, and Race cannot guard guys 6'10 with any consistency. That's why Maryland beat our brains in on the boards, and we still only lost by 3. De'ron played all of 4 minutes in that one and I think had he been able to play more, IU would have won. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do believe that De'ron is the key in this game. Juwan, Justin, and Race cannot guard guys 6'10 with any consistency. That's why Maryland beat our brains in on the boards, and we still only lost by 3. De'ron played all of 4 minutes in that one and I think had he been able to play more, IU would have won. 

Happ and the Zebras will have Deron out with 2 fouls right around the under 16 timeout. 

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I just hope we can Gard Ethan so that he becomes so Happless that he can't even throw the ball into the Reuvers and instead sits up in the crowd drinking a Coke and eating a Pritzl.

Coach gets so mad at Happ for having a Diet Coke and "Pritzl" during the game, that on the way he kicks him off the team bus and he has to rent a car from "Curry" " Ford" in "Anderson" Indiana to make it home before practice. Practice, Practice "Iverson" wants to know why were talking about Practice. 

My biggest concern about this game is that Archie clearly pushed some different buttons the last week+. He refocused the team and got them to play with the level of effort necessary. But, when you have a team with apparent divisions and some mental weakness it will be hard to keep that mentality together after two really close, deflating loses. Can he keep them engaged and locked in after those two losses that we're not only heartbreaking, but all but put the nail in the "at-large bid" coffin? It won't be easy to do.  

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

My biggest concern about this game is that Archie clearly pushed some different buttons the last week+. He refocused the team and got them to play with the level of effort necessary. But, when you have a team with apparent divisions and some mental weakness it will be hard to keep that mentality together after two really close, deflating loses. Can he keep them engaged and locked in after those two losses that we're not only heartbreaking, but all but put the nail in the "at-large bid" coffin? It won't be easy to do.  

Very true, but sometimes a team just wants to take their anger out on someone.  We lost 2 winnable games, in my day of playing we would be pissed.  We shall see how they do against Wiscy...they drop this one then they don't have the competitive nature of this 51 year old man.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Very true, but sometimes a team just wants to take their anger out on someone.  We lost 2 winnable games, in my day of playing we would be pissed.  We shall see how they do against Wiscy...they drop this one then they don't have the competitive nature of this 51 year old man.

Somewhat agree.

If we play tough, hit free throws, go 35%, from 3, score 75, but despite solid defense, Wiscy's backcourt combines for 45 points, and we lose by 3....  We did some things differently, better, and still lost.  I can and will be upset with the outcome, but not at all with the effort for 3 consecutive games.

This IS your father's Wisconsin, and it's been good for 19 of the last 21 over IU.

It's the Hoosiers v. Badgers tonight.  Check out the game day essentials, statistical matchup, keys to victory and our prediction for tonight's contest in Bloomington.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/wisconsin-at-indiana-game-day-essentials-tale-of-the-tape-keys-to-victory/

24 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Defending Happ. Do you double?  As Wisconsin’s leading assist man, Happ is a willing passer.  Does De’Ron Davis take Happ one-on-one?  That will be a major challenge against the crafty and nimble Happ and a recipe for foul trouble for Davis.  Juwan Morgan?  Happ has a major size advantage, and once again — foul trouble will be a major concern.  The likely answer is for Indiana to attempt to keep Happ’s post catches as far away from the basket as possible, and then flash doubles to force him to pick up his dribble.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/wisconsin-at-indiana-game-day-essentials-tale-of-the-tape-keys-to-victory/

Dead on. The last Wisconsin game I watched a couple of weeks ago I heard a commentator say that Happ had not made a field goal outside of the paint all year.

As you said, as soon as he starts backing his defender down, send someone over to harass him and get him to pick up the dribble. Take him out of the game and I think we have a great chance.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Dead on. The last Wisconsin game I watched a couple of weeks ago I heard a commentator say that Happ had not made a field goal outside of the paint all year.

As you said, as soon as he starts backing his defender down, send someone over to harass him and get him to pick up the dribble. Take him out of the game and I think we have a great chance.

It's difficult to pull off because it requires great help and reaction by the defense, but I don't see another way.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The last Wisconsin game I watched a couple of weeks ago I heard a commentator say that Happ had not made a field goal outside of the paint all year.

It is stunning that in 5 years (I believe he red-shirted) he hasn't been able to develop any semblance of an outside shot. He's such a skilled player, you'd think by his 5th year he'd have range even out to 3.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

It is stunning that in 5 years (I believe he red-shirted) he hasn't been able to develop any semblance of an outside shot. He's such a skilled player, you'd think by his 5th year he'd have range even out to 3.

I'm likewise amazed that five years into a very disciplined program, he has no stroke at the line either.  Just hard to imagine that these players don't put up thousands and thousands of reps, but the results sure don't show it.

Archived