UCLA

rico

42 minutes ago, rico said:

The Bruins are looking for a new coach, and with that dominoes will fall after the season is over.  Trying to keep up with it as best I can on the net.  Heard several names tossed out there.  Hoiberg, Dixon, Beard, and even Luke Walton.  They will pay somebody a lot of money to assume their vacancy.  

If you were UCLA, who would be your next coach?

I would see if Cal was interested if I were UCLA because in the past it appears that they don't mind bending rules so Cal would fit in perfectly.  I would also look to see if Donovan was interested as well.  To me the other names you mentioned does not have the big time name that UCLA is looking for.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For someone to succeed at UCLA they need to have the personality that would fit in LA. I think this is something that hurt Alford more than people realize. For me it has to be someone with a big personality. I keep hearing Tony Bennett but I don't think he fits there either. I think Cal is the best fit there is. I think IU really needs to hope that UCLA feels the same way because that could really help with keeping recruits in the midwest from going to UK.  

Pitino would be perfect for them even with the baggage.   That job needs a flashy coach with a big personality.   And I'm sure they could get him cheap.  Plus he's probably only got 4 or 5 years left of coaching in him.  He could turn them around and make UCLA a more desirable job for the next guy.  

I can't see Cal leaving UK for another college gig.  Self on the other hand has the NCAA breathing down his back.   This could be his escape clause.

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, rico said:

The Bruins are looking for a new coach, and with that dominoes will fall after the season is over.  Trying to keep up with it as best I can on the net.  Heard several names tossed out there.  Hoiberg, Dixon, Beard, and even Luke Walton.  They will pay somebody a lot of money to assume their vacancy.  

If you were UCLA, who would be your next coach?

They'll make plenty of calls but when the dust settles they (much like us) will realize the list isn't as long as they hoped. My guess is Earl Watson. Unless UCLA really opens the vaults of $. Talking $10M per year type of deal like Kentucky or Bama did in football. 

29 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

If we're lucky maybe they make a run at Archie...

Interesting. Here is a Bruin Report article from January 7, where they were tracking Archie as a potential hire.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/LongFormArticle/Checking-in-on-UCLA-Coaching-Candidates-127443280/#127443280_11

Here are comments from two UCLA fans:

I'd love to know that Archie Miller is being seriously considered, and that there is any chance of getting him. Is there any info to that effect? If Miller is on the table, he instantly becomes a top two candidate with Beard.

and this

I find it hard to believe anyone from Sean Miller's coaching tree, let along his little brother would be seriously considered if UCLA is going for what it seems like they're going for here.

Beyond that, I'm not sure why Archie Miller would leave a job he took over twenty months ago where he could win a national championship for what's probably more of a lateral move than anything else.

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Interesting. Here is a Bruin Report article from January 7, where they were tracking Archie as a potential hire.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/LongFormArticle/Checking-in-on-UCLA-Coaching-Candidates-127443280/#127443280_11

Here are comments from two UCLA fans:

I'd love to know that Archie Miller is being seriously considered, and that there is any chance of getting him. Is there any info to that effect? If Miller is on the table, he instantly becomes a top two candidate with Beard.

and this

I find it hard to believe anyone from Sean Miller's coaching tree, let along his little brother would be seriously considered if UCLA is going for what it seems like they're going for here.

Beyond that, I'm not sure why Archie Miller would leave a job he took over twenty months ago where he could win a national championship for what's probably more of a lateral move than anything else.

From the link, my how times have changed since that was written:

Indiana appears to be progressing nicely under Miller. In his first year, Indiana was just a game over .500, but in year two, the Hoosiers have improved from 71st to 27th in KenPom, and went 9-2 in non-conference play after going 7-6 last season. Their losses so far are all understandable (each on the road, against No. 52 Arkansas, No. 1 Duke, and No. 5 Michigan) and they have good wins over Marquette, Louisville, and Butler. Indiana is about equally good offensively and defensively, with a very good inside game offensively. They should comfortably make the NCAA Tournament this year, and possibly even get into a top four seed depending on how the rest of the season shakes out.

6 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

Sorry. My bad. Achie Ryan is the man.

If you seriously think Archie needs fired then that is plain ridiculous.  You never fire a coach after two year sunless there is something off the court that gets them in trouble.  I just don't understand people like you who are so impatient and can't give a coach at least 4 years to see how they did.  Luckily for Duke or UVA or many other schools that you weren't in charge because you would have fired coach K after two years.  Good luck with who you could hire if we fired Archie after this year because the candidate pool would be very thin and would have to settle for some mid major coach again.

4 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Back up the brinks truck and they could probably pull Wright from Villanova. 

He'd be the first one I'd contact.  Offer him $8 million.  If he turns it down, go to $9 million.  Turns it down again go to $10 million.

I think that's how a UCLA, IU, Duke, UK, UNC, KU should go about hiring a coach.  Start with throwing a ton of money at the best coach and work your way down from there.

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

He'd be the first one I'd contact.  Offer him $8 million.  If he turns it down, go to $9 million.  Turns it down again go to $10 million.

I think that's how a UCLA, IU, Duke, UK, UNC, KU should go about hiring a coach.  Start with throwing a ton of money at the best coach and work your way down from there.

I just don't see him leaving Villanova because he is a East coast and Philly guy.  He has proven he can win a championship at Villanova so why would he leave to go to a place that has unrealistic expectations and would be fired within 5 years if he doe snot meet them.

Archived