UCLA

rico

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't see him leaving Villanova because he is a East coast and Philly guy.  He has proven he can win a championship at Villanova so why would he leave to go to a place that has unrealistic expectations and would be fired within 5 years if he doe snot meet them.

I don't think he would leave either, but I still think it is the first call you have to make. If you triple his salary from the $2.6 million he currently makes, he'd at least listen to your sales pitch.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Where is your comment so are you saying you want Archie gone as well. To anyone who thinks Archie needs to be fired then who do you really think we will get because if you are thinking we would get a big time coach then you are delusional.

Please point this out to me. I am a big Archie fan. If I have said anything against him please point it out.

*Apparently my computer is a moron or I'm an idiot. Take your pick. 😁

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't see him leaving Villanova because he is a East coast and Philly guy.  He has proven he can win a championship at Villanova so why would he leave to go to a place that has unrealistic expectations and would be fired within 5 years if he doe snot meet them.

Money talks. Everyone has a number that is too big to turn down.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Villanova would also match anything he can get elsewhere

Maybe, and I would hope so. I'd rather have him there.

I have no idea about the funds available to the two programs, but you asked why would he leave when he's a Philly guy in Philly coaching at place where he knows he can win NCAA titles. Money is a reason. 

Eric Musselman has won 78% of his games @ Nevada in his 4 years there.  The state of the Pac-12 is pretty down now and I assume he is recruiting the West coast. He did land a 5 star in jordan Brown but he has done nothing.   A jump to the Pac-12 might make sense for him.    

4 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Eric Musselman has won 78% of his games @ Nevada in his 4 years there.  The state of the Pac-12 is pretty down now and I assume he is recruiting the West coast. He did land a 5 star in jordan Brown but he has done nothing.   A jump to the Pac-12 might make sense for him.    

His magic comes from transfers...not doubting his coaching ability, just how he has built Nevada.

46 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Do they have the budget if things got into the K/Cal salary range?

I am sure they have a rich alumni they could go to if they have to get extra money.  It is like that at WSU where they have one of the richest people in the country as an alumni so they can afford anything that Marshal is offered form somewhere else.

15 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Archie Miller. Would another reboot really be any worse then the present? 

Yes it would be because you will be looking at the best case scenario of getting Brownell from Clemson.  It is not like Archie forgot how to coach after he was 12-2 with wins against Marquette, UL Butler.  Yes right now is horrible but firing a coach after two years will get you no top candidates and will have to start over with the roster because TJD and franklin will ask out of their LOI and no way brooks will come here.

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sure they have a rich alumni they could go to if they have to get extra money.  It is like that at WSU where they have one of the richest people in the country as an alumni so they can afford anything that Marshal is offered form somewhere else.

WSU is the exception, not the rule.

I think everyone would agree that Mark Cuban is friggin rich. The Koch brothers combined have a net worth that's 25x Cuban's. And they're not even alumni. They just happen to be from Wichita.

I don't think Nova or UCLA has anyone that's at that level of ridiculous. But, UCLA has a much bigger alumni base to draw from. No doubting that Nova couldn't come up with some cash, but it's an M16 fighting a tank.

8 hours ago, rico said:

I think you are right.  I don't remember the NCAA levying anything against.

I'm shocked the NCAA hasn't already hit Pitino with a show-cause.  If Sampson gets five years for too many phone calls, you'd think Pitino would get life for paying players and getting prostitutes for recruits.

The inconsistency is amazing.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

His magic comes from transfers...not doubting his coaching ability, just how he has built Nevada.

I don't that he'd be their top choice but he could be a candidate.  Nevada probably isn't the attraction that UCLA is for high level recruits. He had to build them up anyway he could. I have no idea if would succeed or not there but he seems logical if no big name goes there. Do you think he'd scare recruits away from UCLA?

I could see Cal or self liking the idea of living in LA.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree that Cal would be a perfect fit for UCLA/Hollywood.  It's just that sports revenue at UCLA does not even come close to supporting a Cal-sized salary so I don't see that happening unless something went very bad at Kensucky.

I have no idea what they can offer.  They do have some very big boosters.  Can they offer 10 years/$90M or so?  Maybe not but if so I could see him strongly considering it.  They man is 60 and if he only has 10 or so years left UCLA would be a great landing spot.  The SEC is becoming loaded as a conference where as out there he could cruise to 30 wins year in and year out.  Sean Miller would be the only partial threat and that's if he even survives.  He could also spend his free time hanging out with Lebron and WWW and countless other celebrities.  Much more appealing to me than Lexington.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I have no idea what they can offer.  They do have some very big boosters.  Can they offer 10 years/$90M or so?  Maybe not but if so I could see him strongly considering it.  They man is 60 and if he only has 10 or so years left UCLA would be a great landing spot.  The SEC is becoming loaded as a conference where as out there he could cruise to 30 wins year in and year out.  Sean Miller would be the only partial threat and that's if he even survives.  He could also spend his free time hanging out with Lebron and WWW and countless other celebrities.  Much more appealing to me than Lexington.

Agree that the fit is perfect for someone like him, but as I understand it, asking UCLA to pay more than $3 million a year is more than they want to do.  Would that change if Cal signaled interest?  I don't know but my gut feel is that the gap is too wide unless donors are willing to put $5-6 million a year into his contract.

Archived